Sign in to follow this  
Dakratfink

Upcoming G6-01 tear down

So, I took my King yellow off the shelf just to look it over today . It was already near dusk so I wasn’t even going to run it. Well, I noticed the center wheels spin freely like the diff is worn out. 
I guess a winter tear down is in order . Sigh 

Well, if you can’t see the problem. The one on the left in the photo is the center diff. The other is the Rear for comparison. Notice the stripped out larger diameter ? 
that was my problem. 
the stripped part appears to me machined into the metal bevel gears of the diff.

I’m impressed at the plastic gears are all like new. 
I also noticed my aluminum kit pinion is very sharp and there is some metal dust. So I will be reassembling with a steel pinion. 
I also plan to go back to 2 wheel steering.

And the rear dog bones are twisted . Deciding if I can still run them , or a replace, B replace with universals

image.jpg

7A04CE5A-D63B-4B5D-9485-F999DE6BD5A4.jpeg

When I built my 6x6, I locked up the diffs with putty and knowing it was going to be beat on, I swapped in the "D shaped" gears and outputs. Those cast splines are usually pretty durable for me, but the D shaped ones are far stronger imo. 

Funny you say that about the plastic gears, I have some that are 30+ years old and have held up fine. I tend to wear out the pinions before the plastic gears. 

3 hours ago, Greanie said:

Why no rear steering? I was thinking of adding rear steer to my bus, but im on the fence. 

15 turn brushed Dynamite on usually 2s Lipo , occasionally rare blast on 3 s 

5 hours ago, Greanie said:

Why no rear steering? I was thinking of adding rear steer to my bus, but im on the fence. 

Mainly just for simplicity of adjustment and higher speed stability . I am on the fence, however. I may still keep the rear steer. 

On 10/17/2021 at 7:07 AM, OldSchoolRC1 said:

When I built my 6x6, I locked up the diffs with putty and knowing it was going to be beat on, I swapped in the "D shaped" gears and outputs. Those cast splines are usually pretty durable for me, but the D shaped ones are far stronger imo

I was thinking about this when I ordered parts last night , but I inspected the splines themselves very carefully and only the insert in the bevel gear was worn, the out drives were fine so I opted not to order all new gear sets and out-drives X3, only replace the damaged ones  It’s not a bad idea to swap to the D shaped ones though.

To me the funny thing is . The Rear diff got enough stress to twist the dog bones but no slippage or wear on those splines. I wonder if the inside center wheel lifts and spins out more under hard turning ?