Ryz82

Shoe Goo Alternatives (preferably easy to find locally in AU)

Hey All,

I know Shoe Goo is generally the go to when it comes to fixing to lexan bodies; magnets for mounts, or other general bits and bobs.

However I haven't been able to source any here in Australia, does any one (preferably you other Aussie members out there) have any recommendations for alternatives - or know where in AU we can get Shoe Goo.

I have Gorilla Grip Clear, which appears to be ok strength wise on some tests I've done (just glued some random nuts and other similar size/weight pieces), but does look like its left a noticeable mark/stain on the paint job; TBH I did this on an off-cut I used for paint test, so it wasn't a heavy coat or backed like a final shell would be, but please let me know if anyone has experienced such marks.

Other alternatives I've found at Bunnings (hardware store, ala Home Depot etc.) is Selleys Shoe Fix which I've not yet tried.

For reference I will be fix either magnets or velcro for body mounts.

f5c3a073-5855-4e17-b5c1-b3c999b06701.thumb.jpeg.ae60f6da6be3f39851cb92745b7bfa36.jpeg

@Ryz82 I recently purchased Selleys shoe repair (slightly different to the one you showed) from Coles but haven’t tried it yet. I keep meaning to check the ingredients with what’s listed in shoe goo.

shoe goo is available via Amazon au. It’s about $25 with international shipping. Where are you based?

16 hours ago, GeeWings said:

@Ryz82 I recently purchased Selleys shoe repair (slightly different to the one you showed) from Coles but haven’t tried it yet. I keep meaning to check the ingredients with what’s listed in shoe goo.

shoe goo is available via Amazon au. It’s about $25 with international shipping. Where are you based?

Was at Bunnings for some washers - why pay upmarket prices for wheel spacers, when can get in bulk at Bunnings ;) and decided to pickup the Selleys shoe repair above.

DO NOT RECOMMEND, instantly started eating away at the paint. 

My Gorilla Grip tests haven't changed, the stain is still there, so I'm think it might just be that as mentioned, my off-cut tests weren't full coats of paint, so quite thin.

Was hoping for something that could pickup easily at LHS or Bunnings etc as opposed to having to order online.

16 hours ago, GeeWings said:

That is an insane price as it is only £1 in the UK. Surely you will have some kind of flexible shoe glue that you can use to repair shoes cheaply down under? 

Impact, contact or neoprene glue/adhesive are the terms you should search for. 

33 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

Look for shoe repair glues that are safe/meant for trainers. 

15 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

That is an insane price as it is only £1 in the UK. Surely you will have some kind of flexible shoe glue that you can use to repair shoes cheaply down under? 

Thanks for the tip, I will have a look and see what I can find.

I am sure there are options locally that are cheaper, I just know Shoe Goo is the one/brand everyone always mentions, but is not (from what I've found) stocked here in AU.

I do think the Gorilla Grip would be ok with a full backing of paint. I may to another test on an off-cut with full layering that I'll eventually use for the body, and do another test and see if I still get that stain/marking showing up.

1 minute ago, Ryz82 said:

Thanks for the tip, I will have a look and see what I can find.

I am sure there are options locally that are cheaper, I just know Shoe Goo is the one/brand everyone always mentions, but is not (from what I've found) stocked here in AU.

I do think the Gorilla Grip would be ok with a full backing of paint. I may to another test on an off-cut with full layering that I'll eventually use for the body, and do another test and see if I still get that stain/marking showing up.

I do static models and am in the same situation with all the US forum talking about Klear which is not available here. Having to hunt down alternative names/equivalent is a pain sometimes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I'm getting used to insane prices for things here ;) I am slowly remembering not to translate or compare back to UK prices, it's best for my sanity!

2 hours ago, GeeWings said:

I'm getting used to insane prices for things here ;) I am slowly remembering not to translate or compare back to UK prices, it's best for my sanity!

Don't think anyone can describe things in the UK as cheap, you just need to look for local alternatives. I got mine from Poundland, pretty sure there are doller stores in AU where you can find cheap equivalent. 

I was from SG and it took me a few years to stop converting the cost of things in the UK too. 

On 10/17/2021 at 9:42 PM, Ryz82 said:

What about putting a layer of that tammy aluminum reinforcement tape under the body where you want to put the sho goo?

• Like 1

Clear Bathroom Silicone Sealant should work @Ryz82, make sure it’s the Natural Cure variety though. 
It’s not as sticky as Shoe Goo initially but leave it overnight to set.

I just get Shoe Goo from eBay myself. 

Just done a quick search and Big W, Athletes Foot, and Lincraft are showing as stockists for Shoe Goo in Oz

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Just done a quick search and Big W, Athletes Foot, and Lincraft are showing as stockists for Shoe Goo in Oz

Just picked some up at Athletes Foot, not sure why it didn't occur to me to look there, being a shoe store and all, ha!

I hadn't seen any at Big W, then again I only looked in store not online for them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mike in pa said:

What about putting a layer of that tammy aluminum reinforcement tape under the body where you want to put the sho goo?

I may end up doing that anyways for added strength, and one body in particular is going to be light (yellow, backed with white) so may still show through.

Now I have actual Shoe Goo, I will do a side by side with the Gorilla Grip and see if it is indeed the glue that was causing the marking, or the lack of paint layers.

• Like 2

Quick update.

So it looks from the tests, that there seems to be no discernable difference between the Shoe Goo and the Gorilla Grip clear.

Both have visible markings, particularly when held up to the light, which suggests that:

a) I should be fine using either

b) I may have to use some of that re-enforcement tape first, particularly on the lighter (yellow shell).

Strangely even the one backed with silver, which is usually good with blocking is showing. The only test that doesn't show any marking visibly, even to light, is the one - as you'd expect - backed with black .. thinking I may have to just back with super heavy layer of silver on my final shells - or revert to double sided tape if I still go ahead with magnetic/hidden mounts.

Will try and take some photos later this evening, to show the marking I'm talking about, so others can chime in.

• Like 2

So here are the tests I've done using both Gorilla Grip Clear and Shoe Goo.

There is no discernable difference in terms of strength or overall end result that I can see/tell.

However both are showing the distinct marking/staining through the shell particularly when held up to light.

The samples aren't the greatest, I tried to just layer the paint on the sections I knew I was going to put the glue, but they have me a little concerned.

Yellow test has 3 coats of PS-19 (camel yellow) backed with a couple of coats of PS-6 (yellow) and then finally PS-1 (white)

glueyellow.thumb.jpg.1fd3c79800e6bfa5c1846dd359e875f0.jpg  

Mulberry test has 4 coats of PS-40 (translucent pink), 2 light coats of PS-45 (translucent purple), 3 coats of PS-33 (cherry red) and finally PS-12 (silver). I honestly thought the silver would've blocked way more than it has.

gluemulberry.jpg.4314ba45707161dd1feb11d09994830d.jpg 

As a note, I did another Mulberry test and backed with black after the silver, and as expected that shows nothing. So that's an option for that particular colour/body, although makes the Mulberry a little darker than I'd like. I really don't want to back the yellow body with black however.

Thinking its going to have to just be multiple upon multiple, backings of white then maybe even a silver on the yellow body. And then for the Mulberry, again multiple coats of straight silver ?

I know the bodies aren't going to be held directly up to sunlight like I am in these photos, but even sitting on the car in direct sun light, I don't want to have any blemishes showing up if possible.

52 minutes ago, Ryz82 said:

So here are the tests I've done using both Gorilla Grip Clear and Shoe Goo.

There is no discernable difference in terms of strength or overall end result that I can see/tell.

However both are showing the distinct marking/staining through the shell particularly when held up to light.

The samples aren't the greatest, I tried to just layer the paint on the sections I knew I was going to put the glue, but they have me a little concerned.

Yellow test has 3 coats of PS-19 (camel yellow) backed with a couple of coats of PS-6 (yellow) and then finally PS-1 (white)

glueyellow.thumb.jpg.1fd3c79800e6bfa5c1846dd359e875f0.jpg  

Mulberry test has 4 coats of PS-40 (translucent pink), 2 light coats of PS-45 (translucent purple), 3 coats of PS-33 (cherry red) and finally PS-12 (silver). I honestly thought the silver would've blocked way more than it has.

gluemulberry.jpg.4314ba45707161dd1feb11d09994830d.jpg 

As a note, I did another Mulberry test and backed with black after the silver, and as expected that shows nothing. So that's an option for that particular colour/body, although makes the Mulberry a little darker than I'd like. I really don't want to back the yellow body with black however.

Thinking its going to have to just be multiple upon multiple, backings of white then maybe even a silver on the yellow body. And then for the Mulberry, again multiple coats of straight silver ?

I know the bodies aren't going to be held directly up to sunlight like I am in these photos, but even sitting on the car in direct sun light, I don't want to have any blemishes showing up if possible.

Your picture seem to indicate that there are some solvent "eating" into the paint from the glue? Perhaps a different formula to the ones sold in AU as no one else seem to report such a problem (that I know of). Perhaps, a suggestion, is you try something else, like say wood (PVA) glue, which is effectively white glue and is completely water based. 

49 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Your picture seem to indicate that there are some solvent "eating" into the paint from the glue? Perhaps a different formula to the ones sold in AU as no one else seem to report such a problem (that I know of). Perhaps, a suggestion, is you try something else, like say wood (PVA) glue, which is effectively white glue and is completely water based. 

If you view them top down, not backlit by the sunlight, then there is really only the slighted visible indication at all, mostly on the Mulberry one. Which is why I think it might also be a result of just not enough layers of the paint to begin with, as you can see the Mulberry is pretty patchy itself when held to light.

yellow3.thumb.jpg.48acce2e0b81c78c3be10c6c1832d54d.jpg mulberry3.thumb.jpg.509be47fb28ba441cbe2b23feb54c3bd.jpg

From what I can tell, the Shoe Goo is the same. Don't have it on me ATM, but will take a look at the tube and label and upload later if I have time, or tomorrow. 

Like @mike in pa suggested, might use some aluminum tape first and then the magnet/velcro (whichever I end up using for fixing)

On 10/20/2021 at 10:53 AM, Ryz82 said:

Just picked some up at Athletes Foot, not sure why it didn't occur to me to look there, being a shoe store and all, ha!

I hadn't seen any at Big W, then again I only looked in store not online for them.

Rebel Sport also carry it https://www.rebelsport.com.au/p/sof-sole-shoo-goo-110ml-454448.html

The test pieces look that they came out well. Good to see an alternative that is available in Australia.

If it`s Shellys it works.

I´m also from Australia, erm i mean Austria and we can`t get Shoo Goo for a reasonable Price. I Bought some othe Shoe Glue that is labled for "plastic, Leather, Rubber and Fabric" and it is elastic.

It holds up well, so i think it doesn`t matter what Glue you use as long it is "Shoe Glue", so if it`s Shellys it works. (it is labled on the packaging)

9 hours ago, whahooo said:

If it`s Shellys it works.

I´m also from Australia, erm i mean Austria and we can`t get Shoo Goo for a reasonable Price. I Bought some othe Shoe Glue that is labled for "plastic, Leather, Rubber and Fabric" and it is elastic.

It holds up well, so i think it doesn`t matter what Glue you use as long it is "Shoe Glue", so if it`s Shellys it works. (it is labled on the packaging)

@Ryz82 probably doesn't share your thoughts:

On 10/18/2021 at 3:42 AM, Ryz82 said:

Was at Bunnings for some washers - why pay upmarket prices for wheel spacers, when can get in bulk at Bunnings ;) and decided to pickup the Selleys shoe repair above.

My Gorilla Grip tests haven't changed, the stain is still there, so I'm think it might just be that as mentioned, my off-cut tests weren't full coats of paint, so quite thin.

Was hoping for something that could pickup easily at LHS or Bunnings etc as opposed to having to order online.

Second the Selleys gorilla grip dilutes the polycarbonate paint.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:55 PM, Re-Bugged said:

Clear Bathroom Silicone Sealant should work @Ryz82, make sure it’s the Natural Cure variety though. 
It’s not as sticky as Shoe Goo initially but leave it overnight to set.

This ^.    I use Selley's All Clear for pc repairs.... It doesn't affect paint and cures with some flex.  

• Like 1