Lunchy

tamiya citroen 2cv rally - Dirt tuned motor

Hey guys - 

Just picked up a tamiya citroen 2cv rally kit and was wondering if the Dirt Tuned Motor (53929) was worth getting for it.  If so... would there be anything else I would need for the kit if I got this motor?

Thansk!

There are quite a few options for this chassis, I bought the same kit and hopped it up

Didn’t it come with a torque tuned? I would probably stick with that.

Steel pinion and oil dampers are probably all you need to get going but there’s plenty of scope. If you run LiPo there are alternative chassis parts available, as noted in the linked thread.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lunchy said:

Just picked up a tamiya citroen 2cv rally kit and was wondering if the Dirt Tuned Motor (53929) was worth getting for it.  If so... would there be anything else I would need for the kit if I got this motor?

I have the this chassis and have the Torque Tuned motor and it feels "just right" for the chassis although it does destroy tyres quick. It is a toss up between the Dirt Tuned, Lightly Tuned or the Torque Tuned and I just went with the cheapest.

The obvious required upgrade will be bearings and a steel pinion. I went with the biggest. I didn't get on well with my universals. 

Maybe get yourself a heatsink as mine got pretty hot buried so deep in the chassis. 

• Like 1

I am with other gentlemen before me.  Ball bearings are a must because it improves everything.  

As for motors, because M-chassis are small it feels fast. Torque tuned can make you go from 30km/h to 32.5km/h.  

For RPM comparison, the stock silver can is 14,500.  Torque Tuned is 16,000.  Dirt Tuned is 17,000.  Sport Tuned is 18,000.  For buggies, I prefer Sport tuned, but for M-chassis, I just use the silver can.  

My suggestion is to run the silver can for a week.  If you have make a lot of turns as it's designed to do, you'd like the control the silver can gives you.  If, however, you have a long stretch of road, where you only run straight? It would feel slow.  At that time, you would know how much more you want.  You can choose a motor then.  

• Like 2

With regard to tyres, the included rally blocks will wear quickly on asphalt but should last a bit on the loose stuff. If you are purely going to be a tarmac runner then it is worth investing in some appropriate m tyres.

I can't remember if I have softs on the front and mediums on the rear or the reverse!

• Like 1

Hello everyone - 

Just about to start the winter project... building the Citroen rally.  I noticed in the instructions that you can do short, medium and long chassis lengths.  In your opinion what would be best for this car?

Thanks again!

Shoot... forgot my other question.  Pinion gears.  I see that you can go with 16T, 18T and 20T.  What are you thoughts on which one to got with?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Lunchy said:

Shoot... forgot my other question.  Pinion gears.  I see that you can go with 16T, 18T and 20T.  What are you thoughts on which one to got with?

Thanks!

TBH, hardly makes a difference, just go for the biggest (20T) for more top speed and tame the hash acceleration a little bit. 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99407-m-05-ra-gearing-ratio-with-tt/&do=findComment&comment=875558

Hello everyone - 

Just about to start the winter project... building the Citroen rally.  I noticed in the instructions that you can do short, medium and long chassis lengths.  In your opinion what would be best for this car?

Thanks again!

That depends on your body choice. The 2CV will be 239mm.

• Like 1

Ugh!!!.

I keep forgetting to ask other questions I have.  If I want to get road tires... how in the world do I know which ones to get.  Just search for M0-5 road tires?

Ugh!!!.

I keep forgetting to ask other questions I have.  If I want to get road tires... how in the world do I know which ones to get.  Just search for M0-5 road tires?

Search for M chassis tyres. They come in 55mm and 60mm. As pointed out, the 60s will fit your body better. 

The Ra also allow you to "drop" the height of the chassis if you want to use it as a road car. 

No, those are from the "spares" set I believe, meaning they are the soft alum type which wears quickly. Try this instead. 

https://www.amainhobbies.com/yeah-racing-mod-0.6-hard-coated-aluminum-pinion-gear-20t-yea-mg-06p20t/p1378835?v=1358926

Is the 16T that came with the kit the cheap alum also?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Lunchy said:

Is the 16T that came with the kit the cheap alum also?

Thanks!

Oh yes definitely. 

57 minutes ago, Lunchy said:

I thought about getting different wheels for the on road tires.  Looks like these are for the M chassis but does that mean they will fit any M chassis car... like the Citroen rally?  thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123301672243?epid=1200135563&hash=item1cb55a3533:g:64oAAOSwrAFgIXyE

M chassis sized wheels are all the same size, it is the tyres that are different. I had swapped 55D slicks with 60D rally no problems. 

I was like you, all confused a few months ago, and went into a real model shop to ask. 

Hey guys - 

Just got to the part in the build where I need to make the decision to build the chassis lower or go higher.  What do you guys think?  Higher seems like it might be more fun... lower might perform better???  Didn't know the pros and cons of each.

If you can let me know what you think that would be great!.

thanks!

Depends on where you'd run it.  On-road, lower. Off-road, taller.  I built mine taller. 

The real 2CVs are known for crazy articulation. M05 isn't a real rally chassis, so I made it taller. I even installed taller aftermarket tires.  

X2Vr1TC.jpg

xSHCRf9.jpg

I think below video shows 2CV built with greater ground clearance. 

On the other hand, below video seems to show a 2CV with less ground clearance. 

It's not hard to change. You can built one way. If you don't like it, you can do it the other way. 

1 hour ago, Lunchy said:

Hey guys - 

Just got to the part in the build where I need to make the decision to build the chassis lower or go higher.  What do you guys think?  Higher seems like it might be more fun... lower might perform better???  Didn't know the pros and cons of each.

If you can let me know what you think that would be great!.

thanks!

It is not difficult at all to change between the settings, two screws per hub, just try both and see which one you like better. 

What about foam for the tires?  I see it didn't come with any.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Lunchy said:

What about foam for the tires?  I see it didn't come with any.

For the Ra, meant as an off road car, foam is not always used. Softer tyres for better off road grip, just like real cars.