Golden

Rere Thunder Dragon gearbox clicking

Hi All - I have posted a similar message on another thread where forum members were discussing the relevant parts - albeit not the direct problem I’m hoping for some help with - and I’d be grateful for some advice!

I’ve just completed a rere thunder dragon, and have very loud clicking from both gear boxes. I’ve traced it to the nylon bevel gears (running the car without the bevel gear cover on and then without the nylon bevel gears….) and shaved and filed the gears in the rear box - which has reduced the noise by about 50% - but it is still noticeable. The front clacks like it’s catching the casing - but again it is the nylon bevel gears and how they mesh. I’ve stripped and rebuilt once already but will have a final go. I’ve built around 25 cars so far without any issue like this (including my original vintage terra scorcher) - so grateful for any other advice - I do recall noticing the bevel gears had lugs on the planes of the gear splines from the moulding process and think I should have shaved those before first assembly, and did find an old thread from 2008 complaining of this issue. I am also using Tamiya cera grease rather than the standard thicker Tamiya supplied yellow/general purpose stuff for what that’s worth… (and bearings).

Grateful for any advice folks!

42 minutes ago, Golden said:

Hi All - I have posted a similar message on another thread where forum members were discussing the relevant parts - albeit not the direct problem I’m hoping for some help with - and I’d be grateful for some advice!

I’ve just completed a rere thunder dragon, and have very loud clicking from both gear boxes. I’ve traced it to the nylon bevel gears (running the car without the bevel gear cover on and then without the nylon bevel gears….) and shaved and filed the gears in the rear box - which has reduced the noise by about 50% - but it is still noticeable. The front clacks like it’s catching the casing - but again it is the nylon bevel gears and how they mesh. I’ve stripped and rebuilt once already but will have a final go. I’ve built around 25 cars so far without any issue like this (including my original vintage terra scorcher) - so grateful for any other advice - I do recall noticing the bevel gears had lugs on the planes of the gear splines from the moulding process and think I should have shaved those before first assembly, and did find an old thread from 2008 complaining of this issue. I am also using Tamiya cera grease rather than the standard thicker Tamiya supplied yellow/general purpose stuff for what that’s worth… (and bearings).

Grateful for any advice folks!

I had a similar problem with my rere Fire Dragon, and apparently it's common. It seems that the bevel gear moulds are not as good as they used to be, and the rere bevel gears are not shaped correctly or have bumps/burrs on the teeth.

I fixed it by sourcing vintage bevel gears (not the most economical or creative solution I know); resolved the issue entirely.

I knock Mr T a lot regards constant ReRe`s etc BUT can not fault quality. I have read and heard that if it don't fit or work the builder has done something wrong. I read that you have built many cars and someone else had same issue but would of thought this would of been sorted.

Thanks for the above - any suggestions on what to check - I’ll post some photos later in case I’m really being a dumb*** - as after checking I’d not made a mistake, it really does look like the correct parts are fitted in the correct order….

It did affect my rere terra scorcher build, I elected to continue running it and now 20+ hours of running later it's hardly noticeable.

Nothing was an issue except it meant until imthe gears wore in there was a slight vibration which it caused, which led to the flange nuts coming loose, which was solved with a dab of threadlock

3 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I fixed it by sourcing vintage bevel gears (not the most economical or creative solution I know); resolved the issue entirely.

This.

19 minutes ago, taffer said:

It did affect my rere terra scorcher build, I elected to continue running it and now 20+ hours of running later it's hardly noticeable.

Or this.

I went with the first option, personally...

Terry

Thanks for this - was chatting to a mate of mine who also (rightly) suggested to run a few batteries through it and see if it settles down. Better put it all back together now!

(Don’t hate me - but this car will be a shelf queen for my collection - which might be run a few times - but I need to know it all works as it should - or it’ll detract from how special the cars are (ie completely worthless to me if every time I look at them I know they don’t actually work properly! I may as well collect hotwheels.)

Actually - I do collect hotwheels…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Quick update - thank you to everyone who responded - I trimmed (quite aggressively) the “valley”/trough on each of the splines on the bevel gears with a craft knife and reassembled. It’s now almost perfect - a noisy gearbox - but no more clicking. 

Mine seemed to be ok- I checked those gears after seeing some found theirs were badly moulded and trimmed them a little just in case.

yeah the gearbox is a noisy one compared to newer cars- the top force seemed much quieter for example.

i havent built my rere yet but i do see some small bumps mostly on the base of the gears..

23 hours ago, nel33 said:

i havent built my rere yet but i do see some small bumps mostly on the base of the gears..

There might be a cream for that.

• Haha 2

I've had the same issue on my 2020 Terra Scorcher, and solved it by going to town on the bevel gears with an exacto knife. Shaved off all the bumps and now it purrs.