Nwc100

CC01, CC02, CR01 or the wildcard hi lift Tundra?

My winter build dilemma is truly upon me and looking for peoples thoughts on the above, I’m not after a true crawler but something I can take out on some trails with me through some forests and walking that kind of thing, doesn’t need to be particularly fast but would like something relatively scale looking.

My choices so far are a CC01 hilux by far my favourite body but probably the least capable out of the box and would need the additional budget for some hop ups from what I’ve read to out it into the reasonably capable bracket.

CC02 pretty capable straight out of the box and looks a good if quirky build, as everything I’ve built so far has been a tub chassis this will make a change, other than tyres it looks to fulfill my requirements straight out.

CR01 Rocksocker is probably my least favourite body by far but fits the budget nicely, not too sure in its capabilities but looks ok.

Hi lift blows the budget totally but looks great and would be a great build, although I’m not sure how keen I’d be on running it through mud and water bearing in mind it’s additional cost!

Any thoughts on the above? I’m swaying towards the CC02 as the best option long term to run, but CR01 looks a good off road choice, and the Tundra if I end up having too many beers one night!

Thanks

• Like 1

I'd say cc-02 because it will be the best trail performer from that list (necessary disclaimer that other brands do better scale crawlers/trail trucks if you aren't committed to Tamiya).

The cc-01 hilux shell should fit a Cc-02 (same wheelbase) if you want to change over.

Cr-01 won't give that "scale" feel you are looking for on the trails.

Hi-lift is a poor performer in comparison, show rather than go!

• Like 4

If you want a scale look trail truck, then CC-02 makes the most sense.

If you want a capable crawler (and interesting build) but aren't so fussed on scale look, then get the CR-01

If you want something to look lovely on a shelf, get the HiLift -  they really are terrible off road.

As @sosidge says, you can always swap bodies around between the cc-01 and 02 and the same goes for the CR-01, all the other bodies fit (unimog, land cruiser, jeep)

• Like 3

I have the same question, but I’m looking at the MST CFX.  Unfortunately the CFX kit is hard to find or out of production???  Any thoughts???  I want SWB (252mm) so I can use CC01/2 bodies and my Blackfoot body.  Any other good crawlers in that wheelbase range???

ETA sorry for the thread-jack…

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

If you want a scale look trail truck, then CC-02 makes the most sense.

If you want a capable crawler (and interesting build) but aren't so fussed on scale look, then get the CR-01

If you want something to look lovely on a shelf, get the HiLift -  they really are terrible off road.

As @sosidge says, you can always swap bodies around between the cc-01 and 02 and the same goes for the CR-01, all the other bodies fit (unimog, land cruiser, jeep)

Owning several of your choices, I'd agree with @jonboy1 for the most part. I'd suggest the CC01 over the CC02 though personally. Lots more aftermarket options and a solid trail runner with a few mods. 

The CR01 can be whatever you want it to be really, it's very easily modified. Probably the most satisfying build of the bunch. Will certainly take you a while, there's quite a pile of screws and hardware. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I have the same question, but I’m looking at the MST CFX.  Unfortunately the CFX kit is hard to find or out of production???  Any thoughts???  I want SWB (252mm) so I can use CC01/2 bodies and my Blackfoot body.  Any other good crawlers in that wheelbase range???

ETA sorry for the thread-jack…

No, MST are basically unique in offering a wheelbase that short (alongside Tamiya, whose bodies they often include in the kits)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

Owning several of your choices, I'd agree with @jonboy1 for the most part. I'd suggest the CC01 over the CC02 though personally. Lots more aftermarket options and a solid trail runner with a few mods. 

The CR01 can be whatever you want it to be really, it's very easily modified. Probably the most satisfying build of the bunch. Will certainly take you a while, there's quite a pile of screws and hardware. 

Yes, good point about the cc-01 and the availability of hop-ups and after market bits that will help with the scale look

My money, I'd get the CC-02. It's the most modern, is truly fun to drive, and has a nice variety of bodies available.

The CR-01 is much more interesting, though. It's getting long in the tooth, parts are already becoming scarce, it doesn't perform nearly as well as more modern stuff from other brands, and isn't scale. If I had a bunch of money and wasn't in a hurry to complete the build, it would be an excellent "crown jewel" build.

The High Lift just doesn't do it for me, and the CC-01, as cool as they are, is too dated and flawed to consider as anything more than a light runner with minimal trail performance expectation.

• Like 1

If you go for the CC-02 you could pick up a Hilux body for it later, maybe?

The CR-01 would be good if you really want to tinker but you can't go for the 'total Hop-up' build any more as the parts just aren't out there. It seems crazy given that Tamiya still feature it in the guide book.

The CC-01 sits in between the CC-02 and CR-01 for me - decent and even better with a bit of tinkering.

I wish I had a CC-02 but I bought a scaler just before it was announced. I have a neglected CC-01 and a Rock Socket waiting to be built.

Another vote here for CC02 - it's great out of the box (only needs some new tyres to be really great). Only add-on I found I needed for mine was the steel prop shaft as I was using a 13.5 brushless motor in mine.

Does it have to be a Tamiya?  After owning a CC01 and CR01 I started looking at the CC02 but other than a small price advantage there's no real reason to stick with Tamiya when there's so many different crawlers on the market.

• Like 1

I can only speak to the CC-01 and high lift. Both are great trail runners but unfortunately their limitations really show when it comes to crawling.  

CC-01 has limited suspension travel just like its 1:1 counterpart so you can’t take it into too crazy of terrain without fear of rolling it and boogering up your paint job.

img34_25012004205700_1.jpg

My high lift with MFC-02 is my go to runner when I am showing off something R/C to someone.  It’s a complex build and customizable.  There are four link kits that improve articulation but fo me running with a soft two leaf suspension has been good enough for the light stuff I run it on. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaIZ6U6bArYPCVCPAQoGm

somthing with a hard body is going to keep you occupied over the winter 

Of the ones that you mention I only have a CC01 which has quite a few ( I now think unnecessary) hop ups on. As a general trail runner it’s great . It climbs well but I accept it’s no rock crawler. The YR steering upgrade is worth it and probably (definitely) better tyres. 

if I could throw in a curved ball what about G6-01 either stock or dynahead. These make really good trail vehicles with little or no hop ups. I accept the bodies are a bit marmite but if you like modelling they are quite a good base for customisation 😀

EACF29EA-DE48-45B8-9253-9435413D93A9.jpeg.1e5fdac23e272d9a49014bc16a0376b7.jpeg

6B4DE3DC-37F1-46BE-ADD3-8BC9B635765D.jpeg.3da82f972b4f5778bbbb096b57394cf2.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great pictures and great information, I think a decision is made on the CC01 G500 and I’ll add the hi lux body at some point to the list of items to order, 

I’ve added some soft rock block tyres and a set of bearings to the list, and will try and get a set of RC4WD Michelin Agilis tyres for it as I think they may suit the plans for the G500 body the best, it involves a certain amount of yellow and black cross hatching to go on!

Before we finally pull the trigger anything else viewed as necessary for the initial build?

8 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Isn’t the G500 body on the CC02?

Indeed, typo on my part CC02 will be incoming shortly I hope!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

Indeed, typo on my part CC02 will be incoming shortly I hope!

Congratulations - they are a great build, don't worry too much about the bits in the instructions that tell you to glue the nuts into the rails and chassis parts, I didn't do this on mine and it was still easy to put together and has held up really well