mike in pa

Blitzer Beetle rims for Hoosier 2.2/3.0 slicks...

Any short-course or drag wheels should fit on the rear. The Blitzer has 12mm hex hubs, which are also the standard for short course trucks (Slash, etc). So pretty much any 2.2/3.0 wheels you like the style of should fit.

The front... well, that's harder.

Look for Proline 2.2/3.0 wheels.  The renegade should work. And the Proline drag slicks 2.2/3.0.

The front wheel will be in issue since the Blitzer uses bearings in the wheel rather than on the axle (like every other car).

You’ll have to mod you front end to accept 12mm hex wheels (change out steering knuckles etc) or you can try a 12mm to bearing adapter.

• Thanks 1

I've changed the knuckles to hex ones. This both opens you up to wheel options but also, if you're using big offset Blitzer wheels and long axles, helps with a weak point. We are finding long axle knuckles to bend quite easily.

On 2 DT-03s, one with hex and the other with long axles, we've bent enough axles that the hex conversion is probably cheaper. Jazrider aluminium ones seem to come with weaker steel axles than Tamiya ones.

A big part of this is probably also the big offset of the Blitzer front wheels vs hex truck wheels. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

I've changed the knuckles to hex ones. This both opens you up to wheel options but also, if you're using big offset Blitzer wheels and long axles, helps with a weak point. We are finding long axle knuckles to bend quite easily.

On 2 DT-03s, one with hex and the other with long axles, we've bent enough axles that the hex conversion is probably cheaper. Jazrider aluminium ones seem to come with weaker steel axles than Tamiya ones.

A big part of this is probably also the big offset of the Blitzer front wheels vs hex truck wheels. 

Do you have a link or part number [if you don't mind sharing your idea \ r+d] ? As I'm accumulating lots of bits I can't use whilst trying out ideas ! 

2 hours ago, Accidentalcarper said:

Do you have a link or part number [if you don't mind sharing your idea \ r+d] ? As I'm accumulating lots of bits I can't use whilst trying out ideas ! 

Sure. NB mine's a different chassis so you need to check things. I'll happily measure stuff if you want. 

I used the Schumacher Cougar KR hex conversion kit. And for my DT-03 adding TRF201 C hubs also enabled fitment without hacking any other bits up, however for your model you might either find your existing c hubs can take it or something different is a better fit. If memory serves me correctly you need a c hub that fits your pivot points and has a good amount of clearance left to right because the hex uprights take a little more space that way than the usual white nylon ones. I think also that the wheel offset on a hex wheel is generally less than a bearing wheel, because no bearings, so a wider c hub might make that difference up. On mine, my end result keeps the track pretty much as stock.

Some info here in my build thread but it's not a full breakdown:

I got the idea, and pretty much the full breakdown of parts I used from a thread by @matisse but I can't immediately find that. I'll pop back with a link if I do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have played with fitting grass hopper front spindles and that works perfect with the proline wheels I have BUT now I've still got to find some wheels that fit the stupidly expensive Hoosier slicks and fit the short spindles . 

It's fun to tinker , but it's time consuming and needlessly expensive, so all help is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Sure. NB mine's a different chassis so you need to check things. I'll happily measure stuff if you want. 

I used the Schumacher Cougar KR hex conversion kit. And for my DT-03 adding TRF201 C hubs also enabled fitment without hacking any other bits up, however for your model you might either find your existing c hubs can take it or something different is a better fit. If memory serves me correctly you need a c hub that fits your pivot points and has a good amount of clearance left to right because the hex uprights take a little more space that way than the usual white nylon ones. I think also that the wheel offset on a hex wheel is generally less than a bearing wheel, because no bearings, so a wider c hub might make that difference up. On mine, my end result keeps the track pretty much as stock.

I got the idea, and pretty much the full breakdown of parts I used from a thread by @matisse but I can't immediately find that. I'll pop back with a link if I do.

Thank you I'll read this now.

2 minutes ago, Accidentalcarper said:

Thank you I'll read this now.

Skip to Matisse's thread. My link above. It's specific to the point and you won't have to read about all my other ridiculous tinkering with a car you don't have! 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Jazrider aluminium ones seem to come with weaker steel axles than Tamiya ones.

I shouldn't have been so hasty. It's not the axle we've bent but the ball stud, so replaced and beefed up with a longer more secure fixing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

fairly sure that you could pick up Schumacher Storm ST front axles too to give a better offset for truck wheels. 

By the way, from offering them up (disclosure: I haven't actually fitted them) I am pretty sure the gpm aluminium dt-03 c hubs would do the job. They would require c.1mm shaving off the height of the Schumacher knuckles but I think they'd otherwise fit and take the necessary angular movement. They'd increase track slightly vs the stock c hubs but not as much as the TRF201 ones. Bearing in mind the TRF ones need a shave elsewhere that's about the same amount of work either way. 

Another difference is the TRF ones increase caster. So it's down to preference I guess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matisse said:

fairly sure that you could pick up Schumacher Storm ST front axles too to give a better offset for truck wheels. 

Are they a direct replacement for the Cougar hex axles, just with the hex further out? 

56 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Are they a direct replacement for the Cougar hex axles, just with the hex further out? 

Having looked at the diagrams I think so, but can’t say for sure I’m afraid.

27 minutes ago, matisse said:

Having looked at the diagrams I think so, but can’t say for sure I’m afraid.

I wonder about elongating an axle like that anyway, quite a lot of extra leverage on it then. But it might still be a better offset increasing option than an extended hex. 

9 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

I wonder about elongating an axle like that anyway, quite a lot of extra leverage on it then. But it might still be a better offset increasing option than an extended hex. 

Its because these axles use the thin integrated hexes so the longer axles takes the place of a thicker hex