nel33

thin but strong double sided tape options

i recently got a clear thing rubber case for a samsung J3 as the side of the cover didnt hug the phone as well as other sides. my mom had an old roll that was nearly empty of double sided tape that was around 0.5mm thick that worked well. it got me thinking of my ABC Sileighty body for the tt02.  the duck wing is attached with 2x sided tape to the main shell though how thick does it need to be? i dont want the wing to stick out  too much from the body when i manage to finish off the FD3S shell so i can start work on the RPS13 Sileighty. i got a 1-1.5mm?? thick one that i use to place the electronics. i do plan to reinforce the wing with shoe goo and fiber tape so a thinner 2x side tape is preferable.

on a side note are there still 2x sided tapes on the market that are thinner than 1mm? she's hoping there might be one on the market as it works great. it came on a simple plastic roll.

I think it just needs to be sticky to hold well not sure about the thickness. Some double sided tape even mention how much weight they can hold. I use red with grey center double side tape brand name scotch. I believe I have seen 1mm of less thick.

• Like 1

I know Tamiya have shipped Nitto brand double sided tape in kits I have purchased. They have an extensive range of double sided tapes, some of which are extremely thin, down to 0.1mm or less and also quote adhesion strength on various materials in their specs. They might produce something suitable...

https://www.nitto.com/us/en/products/double/

• Like 1

thank you for the replies. i will check out the options there. i wonder if Nitto sells the tape online. it seems like they have the tape thickness my mom was hoping to find. i will look to see which rug tape might have the good thickness. its a bit hard to judge the thickness i'll need before i even get the wing painted and reinforced. i got some good options now to look around for, will need to hit up some hardware stores see what they have for the rug tape.

Tesa red tape(0.1-0.2mm thick) would be the ticket for that. It’s used in iPad repair amongst many other things. They do a bathroom mirror tape that’s a bit thicker. I’d imagine 3M VHB would be a bit too thick but is very good at a strong bond. 

As always an extremely clean surface is the key and a bit of warming(not heating as it’d likely deform) on the tape never hurts. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ad456 said:

Tesa red tape(0.1-0.2mm thick) would be the ticket for that. It’s used in iPad repair amongst many other things. They do a bathroom mirror tape that’s a bit thicker. I’d imagine 3M VHB would be a bit too thick but is very good at a strong bond. 

As always an extremely clean surface is the key and a bit of warming(not heating as it’d likely deform) on the tape never hurts. 

I think that might be the right one she might be looking for. you sent me on the right path for the thinnest option. i looked up ipad/cellphone repairs. didnt find the Tesa brand avaialble on amazon or ebay. i did find 3M 9495LE 300LSE Clear Transparent Double-Sided Adhesive Tape for Cell phone LCD. its 0.17mm thick which would be ideal for small applications. it might be good for the RC wing depending how close i want the wing edge to the body though i have the standard 1.2mm?? one for the deeper area of the angle.

@nel33, try replacebase or iparts4u for tesa. It’s where I get it from. Comes in various widths too and lengths. 

Edit :- if it’s Scotch brand your after it was bought up by 3M a while back. 

Edited by ad456

1 hour ago, ad456 said:

@nel33, try replacebase or iparts4u for tesa. It’s where I get it from. Comes in various widths too and lengths. 

Edit :- if it’s Scotch brand your after it was bought up by 3M a while back. 

thank you for the info, i will look there for some tesa tape. 

i wasnt aware scotch was bought up, good to know that.

11 hours ago, ad456 said:

I’d imagine 3M VHB would be a bit too thick but is very good at a strong bond. 

Interesting that you brought up VHB, I am looking on Amazon for some just today and am wondering if they are any good for RX, etc? They are what I used for my phone holders but...? If not, how about Tiger, Everbuild, Gorilla, etc...? I think No-more-nails are probably a no go since I like to change parts so don't want them to be too permanent. I know you use velcro but I don't have good experience with them in my real car as they seem to "let go" after a while.

Also, @nel33 a suggestion, if you need something really thin and invisible but not permanent, how about regular UHU glue? They grip strongly but are in fact removable if used on smooth non porous surface. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

that is an interesting idea though its not exactly a smooth noon porous surface for the wing. i will be using shoe goo and fiber tape, it will be mostly smooth but does that glue stick well to other flexible glue/silicon like sealants?  im rather paranoid/cautious with lexan body shells especially that one as its a bit of a rare shell that is hard to find/discontinued. the instructions do call for double sided tape but thats just one option out of several possibilities. im likely going to only use shoe goo on the very edges of the wing and fiber tape on the more central areas to ensure a minimal gap.

ive used the usual 3m 2x sided tape on the electric components and have removed them in the past with the help of a flat small screw driver.  unpeel/remove the tape to remove the component works well for me.

1 hour ago, nel33 said:

that is an interesting idea though its not exactly a smooth noon porous surface for the wing. i will be using shoe goo and fiber tape, it will be mostly smooth but does that glue stick well to other flexible glue/silicon like sealants?  im rather paranoid/cautious with lexan body shells especially that one as its a bit of a rare shell that is hard to find/discontinued. the instructions do call for double sided tape but thats just one option out of several possibilities. im likely going to only use shoe goo on the very edges of the wing and fiber tape on the more central areas to ensure a minimal gap.

ive used the usual 3m 2x sided tape on the electric components and have removed them in the past with the help of a flat small screw driver.  unpeel/remove the tape to remove the component works well for me.

I have limited experience with Shoe Goo but from what I can see, UHU removes cleaner than Sho Goo, easier to rub off smooth surfaces. Really depends on your needs I suppose but UHU also seems to be easier to spread thinner than Shoe Goo which is rather thick. 

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I have limited experience with Shoe Goo but from what I can see, UHU removes cleaner than Sho Goo, easier to rub off smooth surfaces. Really depends on your needs I suppose but UHU also seems to be easier to spread thinner than Shoe Goo which is rather thick. 

the shoe goo isnt for the wing  glue application to the body shell. its to reinforce the lexan wing before body installation as fiber tape and shoe goo is easily 2mm thick. i use shoe goo on lexan parts i want to reinforce but dont have the clearance do the tape and glue. lexan and shoegoo is stronger than 1 lexan layer with no reinforcemen.. its not that difficult to peel if its freshly dried but near impossible when cured on painted surfaces. its possible to remove cured goo on plastic but it takes a few minutes to peel off.

ive pretty much kept 90% of all lexan pieces from previous kits, i will buy some uhu glue and see how the 2 react on a cured shoe goo surface to bare plastic/lexan.

@alvinlwh I use VHB for my esc in my short course truck and it holds like a beast and it’ll remove no problem when the time comes to remove it, a little IPA (not the beer:P) and a butter knife and it’ll clean up like it was never there. 

I use VHB due to its foam like properties as it’ll cushion it a bit for vibration whereas Tesa is too thin to help with that.
I’m not very kind to my Torment. It was bought to be hammered on and it takes it without breaking.

Double sided tape(or any adhesive/glue/tape for that matter) is all about preparing the surfaces properly. I stuck a 2kg old fashioned iron to the underside of a cupboard at work with a 10mm square bit of VHB at work and it held for weeks if not months. I took it down before it gave up as I needed it for a door wedge. 

E6000, T7000 or any of those kinda glues are good for a removable liquid adhesive too, not quite as good as shoo goo I imagine but I’ve never needed to buy shoo goo as they have served me fine enough. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nel33 said:

, i will buy some uhu glue and see how the 2 react on a cured shoe goo surface to bare plastic/lexan.

No, UHU will not be suitable for that application then as it is not a smooth to smooth situation. Stick (pun intended) with your original plan. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ad456 said:

@alvinlwh I use VHB for my esc in my short course truck and it holds like a beast and it’ll remove no problem when the time comes to remove it, a little IPA (not the beer:P) and a butter knife and it’ll clean up like it was never there. 

That is good enough for me, off to order a roll now. Thanks. 

7 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

No, UHU will not be suitable for that application then as it is not a smooth to smooth situation. Stick (pun intended) with your original plan. 

Thanks, it's unfortunate it won't work but a strong reinforcement to the lexan is more important. I don't see where I can source replacement shell with ease for that model. I could put minimal 2x tape to help it to be removable without too many issues.