NickPask

Opportunity to buy a full carbon (body and chassis) TAMIYA F201. What do you think?

Being a newcomer to the world of RC I need your guys help deciding on a new acquisition. I have the opportunity of buying a vintage super-rare Tamiya F201 with the carbon 3Racing Chassis and Limited Edition Carbon body. It is looking brand new and is available for 250 euros.

What do you think? Should I go for it for that price (understanding that it would be for ego/investment purposes, I would never run such a car and from what I know it has never run yet).

Thanks for your help !

6477b00df34e0591f55bd01380d54aa1f008bd87.thumb.jpg.fc07bfd31a715eda15341554ebf6031d.jpg

0cac26146c5835d48b888769e138de569bab73f7.thumb.jpg.2046ebb4c67f0c9fcc51e92ce0a44e77.jpg

77bcee111becfedd5f40c5be547b4b030991b985.thumb.jpg.bdd8c7bfdc161582842bbb582b0fffe7.jpg

Looks good to me. The carbon chassis sets of these dont come up for sale very often so i cant see you losing money on it. Would be nicer if it came with a couple of extra hop ups like the low friction dampers.

4 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Looks good to me. The carbon chassis sets of these dont come up for sale very often so i cant see you losing money on it. Would be nicer if it came with a couple of extra hop ups like the low friction dampers.

Thanks @Superluminal.  Does the fact that it has been converted to 2WD hurt? Although it comes with all the parts to get it back to 4WD

I'm sure you knew this anyway, but the carbon body is just carbon-printed lexan. Bear that in mind on your valuation.

Also, an F201 with an optional chassis is also an F201 without the original Tamiya chassis.

13 minutes ago, sosidge said:

I'm sure you knew this anyway, but the carbon body is just carbon-printed lexan. Bear that in mind on your valuation.

Also, an F201 with an optional chassis is also an F201 without the original Tamiya chassis.

Thanks for your input @sosidge. The car is sold with all original parts so I will have the original chassis. Maybe I should reach out to a company and have this body made in actual carbon fiber :)

7 hours ago, NickPask said:

Thanks @Superluminal.  Does the fact that it has been converted to 2WD hurt? Although it comes with all the parts to get it back to 4WD

I wouldnt think so as long as it has all the parts supplied, as then if you decide to turn back to 4wd it will be a nice strip and rebuild project.

I wouldn't do it for "investment" unless your idea of investment is the same as mine (I invest cash and I hope to get a return in "joy").

I think owning a vehicle like this might give you a lot of joy, and if that's so, then I'd definitely buy it.

In general, whenever I buy anything RC related, I expect to get 50% of what I paid if I'm lucky. Once in a while things have turned out better, but in general, 50% is a good rule of thumb.

However, I am happy with almost all of my RC purchases (sometimes you get unlucky on a bad seller, or a fundamentally bad product, but that's quite rare).

If I were you, I'd ask "Will I get joy from owning this?"

The answer for me has always been yes, but you'll have to make that call for yourself of course (I say go for it!).

Also, I would *absolutely* run this if I were you. You don't have to bash it up, you can drive gently, but for me a big part of the fun is seeing a beautiful model in motion, operating according to its design, etc.

If you don't want to run a vehicle, you can get a static model that looks better and cost much less.

• Like 2

The kit itself is not so rare as these do come up from time to time whether NIB or built/runner, though processionals are quite high now. However the 3Racing graphite (as they called it) chassis conversion, if it's as unused as it looks, is a real find on a car costing only 250 euro. I've had a few of these conversion sets in the past, and a few years ago sold a new set that i didn't need because i got offered probably the equivalent of around 180 euro just for that. 

• Like 2

Is the CF on the body to scale or standard weave?   Standard weave on the chassis deck is fine, but if on the body that would bother me.  And I hope that is not hydro-dipped simulated CF.  

Also being a Tamiya fan myself, I would not want non-Tamiya parts if on a special Tamiya car even if they were considered hopups unless this is going to be a runner for local racing events and actually functionally better than Tamiya parts.  

I don't have much knowledge of the value and rarity of these cars so may not be much help..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Is the CF on the body to scale or standard weave?   Standard weave on the chassis deck is fine, but if on the body that would bother me.  And I hope that is not hydro-dipped simulated CF.  

Also being a Tamiya fan myself, I would not want non-Tamiya parts if on a special Tamiya car even if they were considered hopups unless this is going to be a runner for local racing events and actually functionally better than Tamiya parts.  

I don't have much knowledge of the value and rarity of these cars so may not be much help..

The body is an official Tamiya release. It came with the F201 chassis kit that was offered with 2 bodies, kit #58294. One clear body and 1 carbon printed body, both were very close to the Ferrari F2001 but were not officially licenced. So it's not often these come up in that good a condition. As said though the 3 racing chassis set is the most valuable part there, they command very good money if they are new or like new condition. 👍

James.

That is a good price for that car and if it tickles your fancy then definitely buy it.  I don't think this car survived long on the market as brushless motors were in their infancy and normal brushed motors would overheat like crazy.   A brushless motor system was what was needed to make this car run efficiently.   For some, aftermarket hop ups are a turn off but for me I seek them out.  The reason the carbon fiber chassis hop up was so popular was that the stock chassis was that bad.  there were a few other manufacturers making hop ups for that vehicle.  Aluminum dampers, knuckles, arms and wheels and a whole slew of other stuff makes this car collectable.   

@Shodog @Willy iine @futureworks @InsaneJim69 and especially @smirk-racing THANK YOU guys for all these great insight. In the end I did not got for it only for the reason that I bought 8 cars in a month and that I could not see the Price/joy ratio @smirk-racing was talking about and that I totally get.

Right now I must confess I am in a very disturbing Kyosho Frenzy having fell in love with the Legendary series. Bought myself a few nice Kyoshos recently including this nice Kyosho Rampage GT10 converted from nitro to electric. And so regading the F1, I Ask the question: WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THEM ALL? Thanks guys. Much appreciated 

😁

Screenshot_2021-10-30-01-20-46-36_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.thumb.jpg.71019d5d359bed0842f21c18c4272b03.jpg

• Like 1