So - there you have it!  That's what I managed to achieve last weekend.

I haven't done much since then - in fact I might box the tow truck for a while as I officially have only 7 Sundays to get my next top-secret project ready for the Scaler Nationals in October.  However there are still some quick wins that I can achieve between now and the winter building season, so I'll keep the box somewhere handy, or maybe even keep the truck out on the bench so I can do a quick bit here or there if I'm stalled on something else.

:)

• Like 1

As Duke Nukem  would say “It hurts to be you!”. Er, hang on, that’s not what I meant…Great work!

• Haha 1

Fantastic build, all those details make it.

For the spare tires, would it not make more sense for them to be two touring car tires? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

For the spare tires, would it not make more sense for them to be two touring car tires? 

That's a very good point.  I figured given the chunky off-roady nature of the truck, it would probably want some spares for itself and for any truck it might be rescuing, but if it's trackside at a touring race it will want some touring tyres too.  There's loads of real-estate left at the back of the rig, I might yet make another tyre rack- thanks for the idea! :)

I got a bit more work done this weekend too.  I had planned to sideline this project while I work on my super-secret new scaler build, but I didn't finish building the vanilla chassis on Saturday and I didn't really want to spend my Sunday doing a standard box build that I could be doing while my daughter and I are watching TV.  That gave me a whole day to work on the tow truck.

First thing to think about was the front grille.  I have back-and-forthed on this since I started the project, and on Friday evening (after my 8-mile walk got turned into a 3-mile liberal soaking) I sat down to start designing the new lights in Fusion 360.  Then I realised that what I really needed was a flat plate to mount the lights onto, and I kinda needed that before I could go too far with the bucket design, so I closed down Fusion and spent 2 hours playing Wreckfest instead.

Sunday morning dawned and my time for procrastination was over.  I started the day with a stock grille and some plasticard.

sm_P7240001.jpg

A short while later I had some plasticard shaped to fit where the stock grille goes

sm_P7240002.jpg

I measured out some cut lines

sm_P7240003.jpg

Then cut and filed some holes

sm_P7240004.jpg

I glued in some modified H-section behind the grille to replicate the radiator mount bracket, and wedged it temporarily in place.  There's a lot more to do here but that's enough to get me started on the light bucket design later this week.

sm_P7240005.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the back end.  This stock King Hauler bumper fits nicely.  I cut a very simple bracket out of 90-degree section, simple to make but I had to strip down half the rear end to get it on.

It looks a bit wide in this shot, but I need to space out the rear wheels a little so it should look better when that's finished.

sm_P7240006.jpg

sm_P7240007.jpg

Next, and big thanks to @Nikko85 for encouraging me to rethink my V-exhaust design, I made some stand-offs to mount the stacks to the beacon frame.  I also polished the frame uprights while they were off the car.

sm_P7240008.jpg

sm_P7240009.jpg

sm_P7240010.jpg

• Like 5

I honestly think that looks a lot better now

sm_P7240011.jpg

sm_P7240012.jpg

sm_P7240013.jpg

sm_P7240015.jpg

• Like 4

So - that's everything for now.  The day wasn't quite over so I build the shocks for the top secret project, which isn't so easy to do in the lounge, then went out on the motorcycle for a couple of hours, heading over to Cheddar Gorge and back again.  Would have been nicer to go to the coast for fish & chips (there was plenty of day left) but with the cost of fuel these days I can really only do that once per month now.

There's still more to do here:

• design the light buckets
  • service the resin printer
  • fabricate some steps / toolboxes (and paint them)
  • mount the battery connector behind the toolboxes
  • mount some touring car spares (thanks again @Nikko85)
  • wire up some always-on head and tail lights
  • wire up some flashing hazard lights
  • make some arch liners
  • design, print and fit some decals
  • possibly make and fit some rear fenders
  • sew up the 80s seat cover
  • mount the seat properly
  • more stuff that I'd probably forgotten about