alvinlwh

Motor connectors?

So this thread about Tamiya battery plugs got me thinking. If they are so bad with modern batteries and motors, how about the 4mm bullet connectors? They are pretty old and from the 380 days too. How well do they cope today? I know the best connections are soldered connections without connectors, but I like to mess around and switch things in and out and I am not the best solderer. So do people swap out the bullets? Or are they ok for a certain range of turns of motors but not others?

I had once swapped out a broken bullet for a EC2 connector and that ran pretty hot so I swapped it for a Deans instead. I did not want to spend money buying new connectors so just used whatever I had to hand. Looking at specs, a Deans (for example) can handle 60 - 100A. But a lower turned (<23T?) motor can draw more than 100A at stall. Does it means that Deans are unsafe to use. Conversely, are the 4mm bullets safe to handle such motors/loads?

If you want connectors, bullet connectors are the best (or XT60/XT90, which use bullets internally) for connectivity and low resistance. What size bullets you should use depends entirely on the load you are going to put through them. For what most people here on TC do, 3.5mm would already be enough. For higher power (as in modified class racing) 4mm was the standard (though on batteries, not motors, as these get soldered, but battery plugs get the highest loads of all) for many years and they are still used, with 5mm becoming more and more popular with manufacturers. But we're talking about power levels that are way beyond what I would put into any non-TRF Tamiya model. Another option for low to mid power would be Deans T-plugs (better than Tamiya connectors - which are probably the worst in the industry).

58 minutes ago, hIghQ said:

For what most people here on TC do, 3.5mm would already be enough. 

So to sum it up, the standard bullets that usually comes pre installed on motors are fine. Thanks. 

• Like 2

I thought the connectors that come on most Tamiya motors are 3.5mm, not 4mm. Either way I've never had any issues with them overheating or melting.

4 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I thought the connectors that come on most Tamiya motors are 3.5mm, not 4mm. Either way I've never had any issues with them overheating or melting.

You are probably right. Either way, it is good to know that that are fit for purpose. 

but are the Tamiya a "cheap" bullet connector? hollow as in shaped/formed and very light. "true" bullet connectors are way thicker,talking the brass style here.

As long as the connections make good tight contact, everything should be fine. The female connectors get stretched out with use, and can start arcing. Arcs create heat and are the reason for a lot of meltdowns. So just smash the connectors a little with pliers every now and then to tighten everything back up. Same idea for Tamiya plugs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

So do people swap out the bullets? Or are they ok for a certain range of turns of motors but not others?

First thing to go on any race Tamiya's I have. The wiring looks cleaner, and obviously less resistance.

However, I just tested the resistance of a Tamiya bullet connector and it wasn't too bad. Of course any gold-plated connector would be better.

I only do the Tamiya bullets or just solder directly.  

Back in my racing days I used Deans on the motor wires in case I needed to quickly swap a motor due to racing condition change or for whatever reason.

In general, I solder directly.

In my youth, I remember running my Bear Hawk, and the motor connectors smoking. After that, I would cut out the connectors and solder directly to the motor. 

Bullet connectors are fine but this:

13 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

but are the Tamiya a "cheap" bullet connector? hollow as in shaped/formed and very light. "true" bullet connectors are way thicker,talking the brass style here.

...is true. The Tamiya connectors are "bullet" in shape but not in capability but this is more likely a result of mixing up terminology. A "banana type" bullet connector, which the Tamiya connectors are most certainly not, is ideal for high power requirements. They would also ideally be of the gold coated (conductivity), brass (strength) type.

For example (random search example): https://www.amazon.com/20Pairs-Gold-Plated-Bullet-Connector-Battery/dp/B07THX14R9

I think "bullet" is ambiguous whereas "banana" is not.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:24 AM, djmcnz said:

Bullet connectors are fine but this:

...is true. The Tamiya connectors are "bullet" in shape but not in capability but this is more likely a result of mixing up terminology. A "banana type" bullet connector, which the Tamiya connectors are most certainly not, is ideal for high power requirements. They would also ideally be of the gold coated (conductivity), brass (strength) type.

For example (random search example): https://www.amazon.com/20Pairs-Gold-Plated-Bullet-Connector-Battery/dp/B07THX14R9

I think "bullet" is ambiguous whereas "banana" is not.

Yes I call those banana bullets but on big motors I use this type which are 5.5mm 

DFD900E4-6E4B-4437-A684-5E647BA10884.jpeg.ef9587281a8e26e696be3c6b9fc001e0.jpeg

Yeah, just to clarify Tamiya 'bullet' connectors are snap connectors, I think they were called.  It's fine for most bashing at home applications with low amp motors (silver/black cans). 

'Banana plugs' I use the term more for home audio passive speakers.

'Bullet connectors' I refer to the ones similar to what MadZero posted above for RC application..but that is just me because I also come from an audio background and like to separate my terms out of convenience.  

6 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, just to clarify Tamiya 'bullet' connectors are snap connectors, I think they were called.  It's fine for most bashing at home applications with low amp motors (silver/black cans). 

Does this means the plugs that comes pre soldered on other motors like the Zs or others far lower turns ones not fine and should be changed? 

It’ll really depend on the continuous amp draw from the motor.
Tamiya style bullet connectors are usually fine though will likely have a decent voltage drop.

I’ve swapped all of my connectors to 3.5mm gold bullets/banana type and really I just like it better as I find the tamiya ones a bit tatty looking and in my mind it’s a better electrical connection for more voltage to the motor. 

One thing to note is when you start swapping out connectors, you will quite often end up with things needing to be all the same to swap if needed.

Edited by ad456
Spelling