Sign in to follow this  
Oh How Original

Which TT-02 for speed?

This question may have been asked/addressed before but while searching I didn't find my answers.

So, I am wanting to get into another speed project, probably quite humble, just aiming to get on the top ten fastest Tamiyas (55mph goal to start with)

I don't have a massive budget, so I am thinking the TT-02 route.

But my main question is, would it be more viable to buy the basic cheapest TT-02 and upgrade the shocks, propshaft and cups/dog bones to metal and bearings over bushings, or just go with the type S or type R right off the bat?

Which I assume come with the above mentioned upgrades.

Any input would be appreciated.

I'd say go for the cheapest one for a speed project. The hop-ups supplied with the fancier versions are almost exclusively there to improve cornering, not of much benefit to a car that is intended to go fast in a straight line. Rather save your money for the driveline and motor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I'd say go for the cheapest one for a speed project. The hop-ups supplied with the fancier versions are almost exclusively there to improve cornering, not of much benefit to a car that is intended to go fast in a straight line. Rather save your money for the driveline and motor.

You think the plastic propshaft, dog bones, cups etc... Would all withstand speed?

I'm not going crazy with speed, since I don't have a place to achieve 100+ anyway, so I'm being more humble in my goals.

I'm just not too familiar with the platform and it's stock capabilities.

Is the body going to be more important here? Which pushes air the best or has useful downforce?

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

You think the plastic propshaft, dog bones, cups etc... Would all withstand speed?

I'm not going crazy with speed, since I don't have a place to achieve 100+ anyway, so I'm being more humble in my goals.

I'm just not too familiar with the platform and it's stock capabilities.

I'm not sure about the propshaft, but the rest of the drivetrain is pretty solid. The dogbones and cups are of the same design as those on the TT-01, and I'd anticipate that they will be very much up to the task. My TT-01 has been with me for years, raced extensively, and has minimal wear to the dogbones and cups to this day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Is the body going to be more important here? Which pushes air the best or has useful downforce?

The bodyshell will definitely play a part in it, I really like the look of the WRX STI Le Mans they offer which is on the more basic TT-02 chassis, it looks reasonably aerodynamic to me, but I might be wrong, I'm definitely no expert.

7 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I'm not sure about the propshaft, but the rest of the drivetrain is pretty solid. The dogbones and cups are of the same design as those on the TT-01, and I'd anticipate that they will be very much up to the task. My TT-01 has been with me for years, raced extensively, and has minimal wear to the dogbones and cups to this day.

I've been surprised at how well my DT-02 has held up to dozens and dozens of speed runs in the 40-50mph range.

And I used to bash it pretty good before converting it for speed, so perhaps I should have more faith in the stock stuff.

If it's just straight line speed you are after (just for bashing, not actual speed runs as such),  basic TT-02 kit with just a couple of hop-ups should be enough. Full bearing set is a must and the very minimum you need. Then I'd recommend at least get the Tamiya speed gear set and the Yeah Racing motor mount. With these you can run a lot more pinion / spur gear combinations than with the kit parts. Depending on what kind of motor you are planning to use, aluminium prop shaft + cups could be next. Most other options I can think of right now mostly help improve cornering and do next to nothing on a straight line.

However, if you ever decide to go round a track, where cornering matters, the Type-S has far better suspension than the standard TT-02s.

4 hours ago, hIghQ said:

If it's just straight line speed you are after (just for bashing, not actual speed runs as such),  basic TT-02 kit with just a couple of hop-ups should be enough. Full bearing set is a must and the very minimum you need. Then I'd recommend at least get the Tamiya speed gear set and the Yeah Racing motor mount. With these you can run a lot more pinion / spur gear combinations than with the kit parts. Depending on what kind of motor you are planning to use, aluminium prop shaft + cups could be next. Most other options I can think of right now mostly help improve cornering and do next to nothing on a straight line.

However, if you ever decide to go round a track, where cornering matters, the Type-S has far better suspension than the standard TT-02s.

I was thinking at the very least some oil filled shocks, propshaft and motor mount with high speed gearing would be necessary.

The car will be purely for speed, no bashing and no racing, just speed.

Well I found a good deal on Tamico for the R spec model, if I bought it all in the UK it would be much more, also bought a ZR1 Corvette body, seems like it will be quite nicely aerodynamic.

• Like 1