SteelRat

Trades Area Etiquette

Hi all.. I have bunch of stuff to sell and I'd just like to make sure that the way I'm using the site is correct.  I've had a quick look through various sections to see if these questions have been asked elsewhere, so apologies if this has been covered already.

I have a couple of models listed in the trade area on the main site, and will be listing other bits and pieces up for sale as I sort through them, are there any specific guide lines for including those trades on the main site in the Trade area on the forum?

* If I create a trade on the main site, can I create a post in the trades area on the forum and link it to the trade entry?  If I do / can, I'm assuming it's best to create a separate post per item?
* Is there a reason for two different places to trade things; one on the main site and one on the forum - in other words is each preferred for specific use cases?
* If I choose at a later time to extend the trade on to public auction sites, I can presumably update the forum trade entry with the auction details?
* How do I add an entry to the "members ebay" section?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelRat said:

Hi all.. I have bunch of stuff to sell and I'd just like to make sure that the way I'm using the site is correct.  I've had a quick look through various sections to see if these questions have been asked elsewhere, so apologies if this has been covered already.

I have a couple of models listed in the trade area on the main site, and will be listing other bits and pieces up for sale as I sort through them, are there any specific guide lines for including those trades on the main site in the Trade area on the forum?

* If I create a trade on the main site, can I create a post in the trades area on the forum and link it to the trade entry?  If I do / can, I'm assuming it's best to create a separate post per item?
* Is there a reason for two different places to trade things; one on the main site and one on the forum - in other words is each preferred for specific use cases?
* If I choose at a later time to extend the trade on to public auction sites, I can presumably update the forum trade entry with the auction details?
* How do I add an entry to the "members ebay" section?

Hi @SteelRat, I've worked through a couple of these scenarios myself so can offer my own personal take and experience:

1. Yes, I've certainly done just that in the past. You are adding an extra click into the journey and relying on people being bothered enough to click, but if the item is desirable enough this shouldn't be a problem
  2. The main benefit I can see is that the 'Trades' section of the main site ranks in Google searches, so if someone out there is searching for an item but isn't a member of TC, then they are more likely to see your 'Trade' than they are to see your forum post
  3. Better to use the 'Off Site Sales' section to promote an eBay (for example) auction
  4. Not sure on that one...do you mean the 'Off Site Sales' section? If so you just add a post with a link to your auction 

Hope that helps, good luck with your sales!

36 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Hi @SteelRat, I've worked through a couple of these scenarios myself so can offer my own personal take and experience:

1. Yes, I've certainly done just that in the past. You are adding an extra click into the journey and relying on people being bothered enough to click, but if the item is desirable enough this shouldn't be a problem
  2. The main benefit I can see is that the 'Trades' section of the main site ranks in Google searches, so if someone out there is searching for an item but isn't a member of TC, then they are more likely to see your 'Trade' than they are to see your forum post
  3. Better to use the 'Off Site Sales' section to promote an eBay (for example) auction
  4. Not sure on that one...do you mean the 'Off Site Sales' section? If so you just add a post with a link to your auction 

Hope that helps, good luck with your sales!

That's brilliant @Juhunio thank you.

1 & 2 - So really then, if my primary audience is TC members, I'm better off putting things I have for sale on the forum, rather than the main site.  I take the point about "extra clicks" too.. so long as that sort of cross posting and multiple entries isn't frowned upon, even if it not explicitly forbidden, then that's fine.

3 & 4 - On the main site (i.e. not the forum) next to the Trades section at the bottom is a "members ebay listings" section.  At the bottom of that is a link for "more live auctions", but within either of those pages I can't find the place to add my own?  I'm assuming these aren't automatically created from posts made to the "Off Site Sales" section in the forums you mention?

image.thumb.png.bf889d1fb292ea1d9d317470a90d6a1f.png

image.thumb.png.23f47c280899f0284b0a80ddf440a3e0.png

Ahh, gotcha

So, when you add a trade on the main site, there's a drop down menu under 'Type of Trade', and one option is 'Ebay Auction'. If you select that it enables an additional box to add your eBay link, which I assume then lists it in the 'Members Auctions' section rather than 'Trades'

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

I've got to say you are selling some right bargains, I hope someone snaps them up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I've got to say you are selling some right bargains, I hope someone snaps them up

Thanks man.. honestly I have no idea what to price some of these at, although it seems that some of them are going for far more than I would have expected.

Ultimately this is more about moving them on so someone else can enjoy them and I can reclaim some space than acquisition of funds.

Suffice to say there's a fair bit more stuff that's going to become available, so if you're in the market for some parts or a new resto project, keep em peeled 😉

Any QD thunder dragons? :D

I am afraid I only use 1/14 scale, as it makes a very hard limit on what I can buy.

FWIW, I never look at the main site trades, only the forum, I'm not sure if you can do Q&A on the main site and I need that, and not via PM, I want public replies to my purchase enquiries.

I used to keep an active eye on the main site trades section via the very useful RSS feed but that seems to have gone dead, it certainly went silent on me (years ago now). Pity.

13 hours ago, djmcnz said:

FWIW, I never look at the main site trades, only the forum, I'm not sure if you can do Q&A on the main site and I need that, and not via PM, I want public replies to my purchase enquiries.

I used to keep an active eye on the main site trades section via the very useful RSS feed but that seems to have gone dead, it certainly went silent on me (years ago now). Pity.

Thanks for that.. I can certainly see that there seems to be a whole load more "traffic" in the forum Sales section, so I'd imagine you're not alone in that.

On the other side, I have had an enquiry from a forum member on three of the models I've listed, so it must be working some how.. although, I wonder if that has come about through showing a screenshot of the trades section on the forum via this thread that happened to show what I was selling was the reason for that!