bavee

GF-01 Front One-Way?

Having a Tamiya GF-01 Toyota Landcruiser 40 PickUp on the way I read @toyolien and @BJoe76 talking about a front one-way for the GF-01 chassis. Did you go with the TAMIYA 53200 4WD FRONT ONE WAY DIFF UNIT? And maybe more important, did it fit?

Other members are also invited to share their knowledge and experience ;). Thanks in advance!

• Thanks 2

I've fitted 53200 in lots of stuff from thundershot to Mitsubishi metal top wide. As the internal diff gears are the same in all these (including the GF-01 I believe)  you should have no problem fitting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reminder.. I ordered a handful of them for my GF01 just now.  

I honestly don't need it for braking, but I read it actually made the car drive better through turns so I want to try them.   I always notice there is quite a bit of binding of the tires while turning so I hope it eliminates that especially for my GF01's that run slicks.   Not going to run them on my GF01TR's for now as it's slow anyway and more for trailing looser ground. 

Given shipping is super slow internationally, I put in another order of tires and wheels for my GF01 with the one-way's so that the excessive express air freight made some sense..(?). :blink:

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

I've fitted 53200 in lots of stuff from thundershot to Mitsubishi metal top wide. As the internal diff gears are the same in all these (including the GF-01 I believe)  you should have no problem fitting it.

Thank you for your reply. Sounds reassuring!

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks for the reminder.. I ordered a handful of them for my GF01 just now.  

I honestly don't need it for braking, but I read it actually made the car drive better through turns so I want to try them.

No problem ;). Would love to hear from you once you have tried.

I'm a bit worried that the stoppies are nice for a few days but get annoying on the long haul so I have to take precautions...

When I put the one way in mine, it was. A simple, straight forward swap and it does stop more like a RWD vehicle with a gear diff now,  plus Willy iine is right, the steering is better with the one way too. I wanted to avoid the stoppies so I didn’t screw up the work I put into the Wild Willy shell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am only running NiMH, but I haven't found the stoppies excessive myself.

Love the GF01  such a cool truck.

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

I am only running NiMH, but I haven't found the stoppies excessive myself.

Love the GF01  such a cool truck.

I’m wondering if LiPo would be better since those are lighter.

I intentionally forward tumbled my GF01 running NiMH with my original comical Sand Scorcher bodies over EVA foam to verify structural rigidity of the 3 bodies and body posts I made.   This test includes tumble with the big muffler can.  Bodies all passed this validation test. 

So my GF01 will tumble if I was to hit the brake hard.. but I’m pretty careful not to do that.

Until now our 4yo only knows one way to hit the brakes: hard ;). But maybe I can learn him some new tricks with the GF-01. We will see.

Thanks all!

I’m sort of butting in , but not really hi-jacking the thread since it’s tangential to the topic. 
When I was kid racing in the late 80s and only kind of understood hiwbmost of the mechanical bits worked, my dad installed one ways in out optima mid and yZ10 race cars. I learned to drive 4wd off road by aiding the back end in like a 2wd car. This actually took me practice to Unlearn when I drove any standard equipped 4wd buggy 

Can someone explain to me what exactly a one way diff is and what effects does it have. Do you only use them in the front of 4wd cars or do 2wd cars use them as well?

17 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Can someone explain to me what exactly a one way diff is and what effects does it have. Do you only use them in the front of 4wd cars or do 2wd cars use them as well?

It is basically a one way bearing meaning it can only free spin one way.   So when you apply throttle the car is 4WD and once the car reaches its top speed or you let off the throttle the bearing is over sped by the car to a point the front tires are no longer driving the front tires essentially making the car RWD.

So you get the benefit of 4WD acceleration and traction, but with the driving dynamic similar to RWD off throttle.  In my case it means that the drivetrain binding will be less or eliminated while entering a corner.  For others it prevents the front wheels from braking resulting in no more forward tumble.

If you applied one way on a 2WD car you will lose all braking (because the bearing will force the drive axle to free spin) unless you have disk brakes like on a nitro car.  

My one ways for my GF01 arrived yesterday so will be installing them later today on at least one of them.   :D

• Thanks 1

So that is different to a spool which I presume is a locked diff?

3 hours ago, Busdriver said:

So that is different to a spool which I presume is a locked diff?

Spool will drag brake with the rest of the drive train. One way will not as it will free spin L and R separately.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

My one ways for my GF01 arrived yesterday so will be installing them later today on at least one of them.   :D

Please let me know how it works out!

The GF-01 has arrived at our house. Chose the one with the pre-painted body because it has become too cold to paint outside now.

2079625846_GF0101.jpg.160dad589e264b564dd082bb96da69ec.jpg

• Like 1

But to @Busdriver's point, the on-throttle spool action is what ultimately rendered this option useless for my current application as I found through actually trying it out this morning on one of my GF01's that the understeer is too great for my tires and tiny track.   I wasn't thinking too clearly about that because the touring car I had at one time with a one way had a oneway pulley so the front diff was a separate unit and still working.  

So I got like 4 one ways going directly into my parts bin.  :lol:  Maybe in 20 years I can sell it at a premium.  lol

Going to swap back to the bevel diffs in a bit..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Too bad! Thank you for sharing.

On the other hand, gives you something to do and keeps you off the street ;).

Yeah, it’s fine, the knowledge and experience gained far outweighs the price I paid.  

Here’s a souvenir shot.. :lol:

IMG_Nov92021at22445PM.jpg.324be942a8169b00db4a7fc9051d92a0.jpg

Oops wrong thread..

@bavee When you put the steering rods together, the instructions say to measure 24mm, but I recommend 23.5mm to give slightly more toe out.   It will help stabilize your tracking if you have a situation where the car tends to wander a little.  

If you have turnbuckles I recommend using them.  I think M3 x 35mm was what I used on the steering rods.  (I just use the standard shaft on the servo horn).  GL with the build!

• Like 1

Resurrecting this thread.

I'm thinking to add brakes to my RWD TT-01E car by using 53200. Currently it has the front drivetrain disabled (removed the propeller shaft) and it free-spins both on acceleration and braking. With the braking action of the front wheels removed, it is difficult to brake quickly.

If I re-instate the propeller shaft, and add 53200 inside the front diff (but with the one-way bearing placed on the "wrong" direction) will the car achieve free spinning during acceleration and gain braking action?

4950344532001-2__08612.1557823624.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on

I believe I would have to get gearbox joints 19805368 to fit the one-way shafts. To complete the build, I'm guessing standard TT-01E universals or metal driveshafts + wheel axels would be needed. Please let me know if anybody can confirm the above works & fits. Thanks!

No idea on the GF01 but this thread

Gives some hope that's it's possible, this was on a MF01x but the principle should be the same.

• Thanks 1

@Nikko85 Thanks for the link. Seems that 53200 achieved exactly what I am looking for on that MF01X. I'll get the parts and give it a shot

6 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

@Nikko85 Thanks for the link. Seems that 53200 achieved exactly what I am looking for on that MF01X. I'll get the parts and give it a shot

Awesome, although it looks like it might lock the front as a spool when braking. Either way it sounds like an interesting experiment.

For any future readers, for my GF01 I reduced the excessive stoppies by pushing the rear wheels back by flipping the suspension arms. Increasing the wheelbase just by 10 mm or so helped with stability.

• Like 1