bavee

GF-01 Front One-Way?

16 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Awesome, although it looks like it might lock the front as a spool when braking. Either way it sounds like an interesting experiment.

True, I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it will lock both front wheels together like a spool, not only on braking but also possibly on-power, as the rollers on the one-way bearing serve both sides. On my RWD converted cars, I have the front differential disconnected from the motor, but still present and locked. This setup greatly eliminates RWD oversteer. Keeping the front wheels locked together should be a plus as it would mean there is zero chance of only one front wheel braking and sending the car into a spin.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 9:08 AM, Nikko85 said:

For any future readers, for my GF01 I reduced the excessive stoppies by pushing the rear wheels back by flipping the suspension arms. Increasing the wheelbase just by 10 mm or so helped with stability.

Question @Nikko85 - can you share/show how you mounted the shocks? I think I've seen people using the regular screw whole (that holds the two halves of the arm together) for the ball mount location. But that seems to leave the ball arm screw (forgive me, I'm blanking on names) pretty exposed. Also does it put the rear shock at an excessive angle?

I think it's a good idea, I'm just hoping to know what to expect when implementing it.

11 hours ago, isomer1 said:

Question @Nikko85 - can you share/show how you mounted the shocks? I think I've seen people using the regular screw whole (that holds the two halves of the arm together) for the ball mount location. But that seems to leave the ball arm screw (forgive me, I'm blanking on names) pretty exposed. Also does it put the rear shock at an excessive angle?

I think it's a good idea, I'm just hoping to know what to expect when implementing it.

Here are some photos.

Essentially you flip the rear arm and use a long 5mm ball connector in lieu of the outer screw hole as you said. However you want to get this quite snug, so at first you start with the hex, but I ended up using pliers with rubber on the ball directly to screw it as far as it will go. It's a tight fit but they will go in.

K9RAfkb.jpg

Should probably give this a clean!

sc4cjEJ.jpg

K9RAfkb.jpg

Then you use a pair of long connectors for the top mount

x7ECm0D.jpg

...resulting in pretty straight vertical shocks. 

You'll notice a 3D printed block, that's to push back the wheelie bar to allow for the pushed back rear wheels, otherwise it just tips over when accelerating hard, I can send you the file.

Now a neater solution would be to use a longer M3 screw going into the same hole to connect the two arms from the other way, then add a spacer and then a 5mm ball connector nut to screw it all together. This would allow the arm to be secured in two places, and avoid having the difficulties of screwing the longer ball connector into the hole.

If my solution ever fails I'll try the above!

• Thanks 1