Quincy

Quincy`s 25th Anniversary Commemorative TA-02 Build

When Tamiya announced the anniversary edition of the TA-02, I decided to build another TA-02 as a runner. As my "onroad career" started in the early 90s with the TA-01 chassis, first offroad as a Manta Ray, later also as an onroader.

But since I planned to equip my TA-02 with all hop-ups it was soon clear that Tamiya`s Anniversary Porsche is not the right starting point. So I decided to create my own 25th Anniversary TA02.

The first thing to do was to get the necessary parts. Fortunately I have a large stock of spare parts and tuning parts (like the Tamiya 53226 Front Hub Carrier). All other parts were ordered. However, I found out later that this are by far not all the parts I need, but more about that later.

spacer.png

The complete chassis is built up with aluminum and titanium screws. At the front axle a spool, at the rear axle a gear diff will do its job. The engine will be a Tamiya Super Stock TZ (just because of the colour). For more weight savings, I use the Top Force hollow gear axles.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was a lot of work to find the right cardans for front and rear. Finally I use M-Chassis wheel axles 54623 in combination with lightweight swing shafts 53502 on the rear and double cardans with Low friction cardan shafts 42360 on the front axle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

For the shocks I use Tamiya TRF shocks with black springs. After several hours the front and rear differential housing is completed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The next step is the installation of the carbon double deck. Here I decided to use chassis plates from a third-party manufacturer, since the Tamiya carbon decks are not  available at this time.

• Like 10

@Quincy:  The rear transmission gimbals are not symmetrical. you had to assemble the triangles upside down. they go backwards. he should be straight.

:lol::P

9 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@Quincy:  The rear transmission gimbals are not symmetrical. you had to assemble the triangles upside down. they go backwards. he should be straight.

:lol::P

All you have to do is pull the nipple through the Tab and turn it all the way up with the little crank;An arrow appears immediately and then they press on it and the tube is straight!

• Haha 1

Are you using the black ta03 knuckles ? 

If so how do the double cardan shafts fit!?  

The 03 uses 1510 and 1260 bearings but the 42360 use 5mm bearings don't they🤔

Yes you are right. Standard tamiya bearings doesn't fit. But it is no problem to get fitting aftermarket bearings.

You need 5x4x11mm flanged bearings for the inside and 5x4x12mm for the outside. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Quincy said:

Yes you are right. Standard tamiya bearings doesn't fit. But it is no problem to get fitting aftermarket bearings.

You need 5x4x11mm flanged bearings for the inside and 5x4x12mm for the outside. 

Nice idea,I'd like to see that

• Like 1

After a few people on facebook complained that I had no rear swaybar, I had to change that of course.

spacer.png

However, I have decided to go for a thinner stabilizer, this also fits better in color.

spacer.png

spacer.png

After fixing this issue, work goes on. For the bottom I use titanium screws, on the top I stay with blue aluminum screws.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So far so good, but I am not happy with the battery holder, since I plan to drive shorty batteries this must be changed. New parts are already under construction, now I will first take care of the rest of the electronics.

• Like 6

As I am still waiting for some parts, I decided to take care of the electronics. Unfortunately the blue color of the Tamiya Super Stock doesn't really match the rest. So I got myself a LRP V10 17 turn bushed motor, because it has the same technical data as the Super Stock and looks much better.

spacer.png

I also had to change the color of the controller. The first step was to disassemble the ESC:

spacer.png

All cables were replaced by black ones and the case was painted black.

spacer.png

A lot of work just for this look:

spacer.png

• Like 13

That looks incredibly good!! Love the LRP ESC like that.

• Thanks 1

Tamiya do a 4 degree blue hub carrier, I use them on my top force evolution  👍

It looks very nice! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally the missing parts arrived, so I could finish the chassis:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Meanwhile I got antoher LRP QC3, so I changed the ESC once again. The wiring was quite challenging, but now I am happy with the outcome.

spacer.png

Unfortunately the "new" TA-02 Carbon Conversion Set (Tamiya 47479) isn`t available yet. But I have already preordered a set, to exchange the top deck.

spacer.png

The next step is to install a motor fan and complete the front bumper. After that I will work on my Anniversary body, contrary to Tamiya`s Anniversary Edition this will not be a Porsche.

• Like 7

In the end it went really fast. A fan should provide the necessary cooling and a foam bumper was placed at the front.

The most time consuming part was the completion of the body. As an anniversary model, the body should be something special. Therefore I decided to use the Nissan Skyline Axia R32 body.

And here it is now my personal 25th Anniversary commemorative model TA-02:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Amazing body and chassis! And the black rims also fit superb to the rest.

If I had the choice, I would take your „25th Anniversary Commemorative TA02“ instead of the „45th Anniversary“ Porsche 934 ;)

22 hours ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

Amazing body and chassis! And the black rims also fit superb to the rest.

If I had the choice, I would take your „25th Anniversary Commemorative TA02“ instead of the „45th Anniversary“ Porsche 934 ;)

Thanks, it's your choice. All the parts are still available. 😉

2 hours ago, Quincy said:

Thanks, it's your choice. All the parts are still available. 😉

Since I already own a Porsche 934 (TA02-SW), the choice has already been made…

But there is another TA chassis without body...this one will not get the same design, but also a Nissan Skyline R32...“this is the way!“ :)

• Like 1