All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. nowinaminute

Tamiya Wheelie cars for a 3yr old child?

Come on, mate. Play the game lol
  3. 53HRA

So, What Have You Done Today?

This In the first 60 seconds
  4. Today
  5. Grumpy pants

Iā€™m pretty sure you have an LB in stock ready to build....
  6. 2 huge boxes of grey...one has 6 wheels.
  7. Ha - yes I know that too... but I'm certainly not going to be using a CC-01 chassis for this ;o) Jx
  8. TurnipJF

The ground clearance is a bit lower with the smaller front tyres, but the spikes on the rears give better grip, which makes it easier to push through and over obstacles. Front ground clearance is seldom an issue with a wheelie model anyway. The width as stock is a bit narrower, but is readily widened, by longer axles or wider arms. Even in stock form though, it is more stable than a WW2 due to having a lighter polycarbonate shell and consequently a lower CoG.
  9. Super Clodbuster Junkie

Tamiya konghead to Kongbox

How did I quote a huge box of gray?
  10. Super Clodbuster Junkie

Tamiya konghead to Kongbox

To put it simply that is a job well done. Looks like some navy sub on wheels (no offense). You could stick these where you were going to put the moon windows.
  11. Peter_B

Cheers, I will drop you a message when/if the time comes. I'll have to investigate the fs-i6 a bit more first.
  12. nowinaminute

Lunchbox again. I'm going to go blind and get hairy palms at this rate. All my other RCs are getting jealous too!
  13. You guys can get as wordy as you want. That's one of my favorite things about this forum: the discussions. I get tired of "Look what I bought/made/found!", and I like a good long-winded philosophical post. In fact, I have a question to pose, sort of a hypothetical situation: for those of you with huge collections, particularly multiples of the same kit, what exactly is the draw of having 3 or 4 (or more) of the same kit? And (again, hypothetically), if someone approached you about buying one of them, what would your reaction be? Would you consider selling the "worst" one, knowing that you have other, nicer examples? Now, keep in mind that in the past couple of years I have started to collect NIB vintage static model kits, which have at least as much nostalgic appeal to me as RC kits. Maybe more, in fact, because I was building them for many years before I got into RC. It's a very similar mindset, but on a smaller scale (both physically and financially). And as such, I can answer this question for myself, and the answer is "It depends." I don't buy anything (model kits, RC cars, real cars, guitars, or anything else) with an eye towards selling it. I have, in the past. I spent quite a few years restoring and flipping vintage RC cars, and I'm happy to say that I was able to come out just a little bit ahead doing so. (I of course immediately spent that profit on more RC stuff, but I digress.) But I got tired of that game, and these days if I buy something, it's probably going to stay with me. Which means I'm very selective about what I buy. Three times already, I have passed over buying kits I already have, because owning a second one seemed silly. But there are certain kits which, if I found another, I would buy, especially if I found an older or nicer example. At that point, the less-nice or less-desirable-box kit is still not going to be sold. It's going to be built, and displayed with the nice one. In my head, I have a vision of my study/workshop in my retirement days, and the shelves (those that are not overflowing with books) are lined with model cars: a built example sitting in front of a NIB example. At that point, if I already have a "keeper" and a "builder," I don't need any more of that kit. However, if I did come across a bargain on something I already have, I would still buy it... but I would be buying it to sell. For a profit, naturally. So, over to you, NIB RC kit collectors: if I (hypothetically, although I wish I could do it for real) saw that you had a stack of 4 vintage Boomerangs (or something), and I wanted to buy one, would you sell me the one with the little water stain on the box lid, or the cracked blister pack, for a fair price? Or can you just not get by with three? And if not, why not? I don't mean for this to sound confrontational; I'm honestly trying to understand.
  14. nowinaminute

The problem with making it slow is that it effects the wheelie ability. At least with the Lunchbox chassis you have that big shelf at the back that can add weight to so you can probably get away with a slower motor and still be able to pull wheelies. I've done a lot of mods to my Lunchbox now so it handles quite a lot better but even stock, I never found it as bad as some people say. It understeers like a barge and only tightens up when you release the throttle but I find this helps to stop it rolling a lot of the time. If you put a slower motor in its going to be even more stable. That being said, the newer vehicles are inherently more stable and better handling out of the box with the possible exception of those silly tractors although even those are surprisingly good considering how unstable they LOOK lol. The only issue with the newer cars is that it's harder to add weight to the back to try and coax them to wheelie even with a slow motor.
  15. ThunderDragonCy

I can order you some. I designed them and got them off treatstock which I way cheaper than Shapeways for simple non structural stuff. Drop me a DM. They are only a few quid.
  16. hurray! the 5mm axle is simply pressed into the plastic arm, really easy to remove with a hammer and a pin. going to press it into that whale above and my panzerarms are done. luckily reinforced c-hubs are already printed.
  17. Mahjik

BTW, I am a little biased. While I don't own a Tamiya wheelie model (yet), every Wild Willy video I see online always makes me smile.
  18. Stefan(2)

Messed around with the FG's today some more , got the wheel hubs clear of old ... well.. grime.. Brakes of the Marder now also fixed ( cable disk brake this one have ) and cleaned up some small issue's , as the ball-connectors on the suspension arms where corroded a bit. ( not that bad, but those rust flakes did not help with a upcoming smooth drive of course. ( badword im happy i invested in ceramic bearings long ago btw, checked most , and "like new" ) And with that part.. it goes into Tamiya, as far i can remember.. my remaining models also all have ceramic bearings .. as far memory serves me. Wife gets increasing more annoyed by the re-found love..
  19. Jason1145

Thanks pal, so the WR02G might even have a slightly wider track than the WR02... might do one less roll over per battery pack Does that mean the smaller front wheels lower the ground clearance.. if so does it pose an issue for getting hung up stuck anymore than a WR02 would ( I think I'm being an over analysing dufus at this point in worrying about this 'performance' aspect on a Wheelie RC lol) Sweet I'd forgotten you can go slower than a silver can And another good point... too slow and it stops the only point if owning one for me... maybe a 30t motor might give wheelies. Yes I agree... I just ruled out the HPI offering
  20. Mahjik

Maybe, but it's hideous... I think the Tamiya wheelie cars also inspire 'fun' just from their looks.
  21. Peter_B

From experience of my lads Lunchbox, which he had at 3. To make it controllable for him, I had to swap the motor for a 60T crawler motor. That slowed it so he could control it, but it didn't have enough poke to pull any wheelies.
  22. Superluminal

XV-01 Help

Me too, hate them - I know they give adjustment but they are the worst bit of the build. Standard ones = sore busted thumbs Adjustable ones = never remembering which side has the LH thread, rounding off the tamiya spanner so it useless before its adjusted properly and having to apply so much torque on the now rounded off spanner to turn a thread inside the super tight ball cup that it pops off the ball. So you end adjusting it manually and getting sore busted thumbs. Maybe im missing a key set of skills for building turn buckles but have had similar issues on every build except the avante and egress as this has metal ball joints with a proper screw thread inside.
  23. Juggular

Started on painting 6 drivers. (I was going to paint shells, but outside was foggy with tree pollen. This can be done indoors.) 3 are Bigwig style guys with steering wheels. 1 is Grasshopper-style driver. 2 in the middle are just heads for Lexan shoulders. They are traditionally painted in bank-robber style. But I figure goggle-style looks less suspicious. The molding is done in such a way that it could be painted either way. I know I have a couple of Frog drivers, + the red helmet from Wild One. But I can't find them. Oh well, they'll turn up. I'll do eyebrows and eyes tonight.
  24. Bromley

A pink VLB would be my choice. Fit it with a 55-80 turn motor. Get some stickers and let her decorate it herself... Fit it with seats for Barbie and Teddy to ride along.
  25. TurnipJF

Almost - the WR-02G uses TLT tyres up front and WT-01 tyres at the back. These are taller and narrower than the WR-02 tyres and benefit from being spaced out slightly using G6-01 axles and 9mm or 10mm hexes otherwise they bind on the chassis rails with full compression of the rear suspension.
  26. Jason1145

Stick guides....šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰ see you need guiding... consider the Comical Hornet the destination... good call
  27. Jason1145

Super. Ouch, just seen there's a HPI WheeliKing 4x4 that looks like it holds wheelies longer than anything Tamiya make!
  1. Load more activity