All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Please post here the part number(s) # that is also being used or by other chassis. This will be helpful for parts hunting guide and alternative especially for older kits that can use parts from newer models. Examples are: FF-01/FF-02/TA-02/TA-03/CC-01 - #0445246 #50705 #58121 #50555 knuckles FF-01/TA-02 - #9335609 #50637- tub chassis #53166 F.R.P. chassis FF-03/TB-03/TB-04/TB-05/TA-05/TA-06/TRF415-416-417-418 - #51352 #51332 knuckles (front uprights) #54568 (carbon reinforced) FF-03/TB-03/TB-04/TB-05/TA-05/TA-06/TRF415-416-41-418 - #51333 #51354 rear upright #54570 (carbon reinforced) I will update this post from time to time.
  3. I added a shim to give a bit more space. I forgot what size. 0.3mm or 0.4mm, I think. That added a tiny bit of clearance, so it's much less quiet.
  4. Tamiya never really had a direct analogue for the Ultima really, at least not initially. I just don't see it being an issue for Tamiya.
  5. Yesterday
  6. Yay. Phillips' head screws. C'mon Tamiya.
  7. Moulding flash and/or poorly moulded gears were my first thought, and I did find a few dodgy spots that I sorted out during initial assembly. I also found that an older gearset was a little quieter than a new one. However even a well worn-in gearset thoroughly inspected for imperfections still meshes tightly and noisily. Glad to know that mine is not the only noisy 'Shot. Maybe after a few hundred battery packs it will quiet down a bit. In the meantime, I'll stop worrying about it. Thanks for all the feedback!
  8. Thats a shame it gets taken too seriously. Would be great to see Alfa 155s, merc 190s, audi a4, honda accord, the odd volvo and mondeos etc all racing. They could set a 10 year time period for it say, 1989 - 1999 era body shells only from the DTM an BTC types as there are quite a few knocking around (although some bodies are quite rare, and for selfish reasons from when i remember enjoying it on tv) I would love to have a go in this in a stock motor / stock kit tyres and wheels combo as it would encourage the really close racing that the touring car races were all about.
  9. Ok, here's the thing. I came to paint the shell for my clod build. So I did several coats of the mica blue, allowing them to dry between each coat. When that was done I cut out and fixed the masking stickers and a couple of plastic bags to protect the main section of the body from over spray. Then I did a couple of coats of the gun metal grey for the rear section. The bags, sticker on the tailgate and stickers on one side all came away ok. but peeling away the masking stickers on the left side they took away large sections of the mica blue paint with them, leaving nothing but the bare plastic shell behind and a few patches of blue where the masking clearly hadn't stuck quite as well. Clearly I need to start from scratch all down the left side now. This leaves me with some questions, so some advice would be appreciated. Where the heck did I go wrong to start with? Do I need to remove the patches of paint that are left to start with a clean slate? If so, what's the best technique to get back to a decent surface? Would it have been worth starting with a primer before the blue? Where is the best place to source a replacement sticker sheet? I've find it listed in modelsport.com for about £16, but it's out of stock and I don't fancy waiting eons for them to get it to me.
  10. I love the idea too. The Iconic Cup is basically period touring car racing on period chassis - the list of eligible bodies gets tougher every year, but the sad truth is that lots of people still hunt out the best performing "scale" bodies to chase laptimes. One of the favourite bodies for 2019 was the Suzuki Pikes Peak car - it has a slanted nose and a massive wing, so it performs well on track. And yeah, I get it, it's a pretty accurate replica of a 1:1 race car. But it's not the sort of 1:1 race car you'd see driving around Mallory or Thruxton or Knockhill, so IMO it doesn't count. We all know what a touring car looks like, IMO we should all build our race cars to look like them. If it was down to me I'd ban speed disc wheels too, but I appreciate not everybody wants to buy a few sets of expensive scale wheels + tyres + inserts for a season of racing when they can use the ones they already have for their other formulas. One of the top racers at WWMCC has printed out stickers of wheel spokes to go on his touring car wheels, something I did for my buggy about 8 years ago, but he's done a better job of it. Anyway, we talked about scale touring being restricted to standard TT01 / TT02 to keep it cheap, simple and not too fast, but it looked like it was going to be hard to make it happen. Just look at the trouble John Weston has with arguments over the Iconic Cup rules every year...
  11. Wow I've never had a gearset like that! The gear packs I have left NIP are 2 x original and 1 X rere when I last looked. Maybe one of the reasons the FD didn't hang around so long if something happened to mold (especially after spending a lot of effort on the rere manual)
  12. gear1 by Scott Weiland, on Flickr Here's a picture of one of the gears and what the poor molding looked like. If you pull the prop shaft out and run it and the noise goes away, its likely in the front gearbox.
  13. I like that mantra (if mantra is the term). I think I need to adopt that. Somehow I seem to have garnered multiples of the same chassis - three (maybe four) M04s, four ORV, two CR01, a few TL01 ( I have lost count) and three Dual Hunters. I have one shelfer, though I would like to elevate some of my models to the quality levels you see from some people in this forum. Hah! That will take talent and time I don't have. The shelfer is an ORV, the all metal Frog I bought from Finman. Having thought about it for a while, I have started to embelish an already impressive model. It is a fantastic piece of "desk art' and has started quite a few conversations at work, all positive. Perhaps that 'keep it for best' mentality comes from the previous generation who saw much tougher times. Now there is FOMO so YOLO, just run what you brung.
  14. I dealt with an issue like this about 11 years ago with the Fire Dragon re-re (same chassis). Somewhere there's a thread on it. The bevel gears in the front gearbox immediately after prop shaft were not molded correctly. Neither were the replacements I bought. I studied the gears closely and found a lot of distortion and lumpiness at the roots of the gear teeth. It produced a noticeable tight spot in the rotation. It made weird clicking sound when running. My first attempt at filing the gears didn't work. I went after it again, even trimming some of the lumps out with a hobby knife. Eventually, I got them to quiet down. I was a bit miffed at the time. I recall it being the first Tamiya I bought new that had a defect.
  15. Heh - I've been backing off of runners for an entirely different reason: the neighbor's kid. He's four or five, and I've seen how he treats his toys. He has no idea my toys exist, and it's going to stay that way. One day, either they'll move away, or we will (we want to eventually move out somewhere we can own acres, plural), and at that point, I'll start exercising them more. For now, I'm actually really enjoying the bench time, so I don't mind not getting them dirty. I figure that if I don't leave behind any un-built kits, or un-worn tires, I'll have done the thing right. Between now and then, I'll just take it one kit, one battery pack, one paint job, one wheel nut at a time.
  16. Even back in early 2000, these topics would pop up. I thought, "I wanna see action shots instead!" Fast forward almost 20 years, I'm one of those who gingerly jump into these topics. You grow old with the hobby. I suspect everybody runs their first RC car hard when they started the hobby. The more we build, the more we enjoy building it. Then we admire the beauty. But imagine if you still had only one. You started the hobby with it. You ran it. It's in tatters. You can't sit back and admire the "showroom look." The only option is to run it. Would you regret running your first ever RC car? Probably not. "Perfection-Impairment" (I made that up) is bound to seep into the hobby. Living creatures are programmed to like perfect things. Round apples are better than shriveled ones. Brand new vehicle is better than a beat up one. We like "new" and we want to keep it that way. However, what if the perfectionism is preventing us from doing what we like? Perhaps we have to be human and enjoy imperfect things. This is a recent revelation for me. A hobby shop owner sells T-shirts that says, "Mediocre Modeller's Club." Somebody called his skills "mediocre." To paraphrase Andy the hobbyshop owner, you have to start from no-skills. So just enjoy it no matter what your inner perfectionist says. I realized that I wouldn't even start building because I expected perfection. That seems silly now. I can't be good unless I start as a noob. Why look at magazines and let their perfection disable me? The same could be said of RC. Why not just enjoy it today? Thinking how much I wanted this as a child is living in the past. Thinking how valuable NIB vintage would be is living in the future (or, 'dead in the future,' so some kid would get our stuff dirt cheap at our estate sales). Why sacrifice today for the sake of the past or the future? My parents were like parents of @speedy_w_beans. A distant uncle gave me Caran D'Ache watercolor pencils 35 years ago. They were 24 (I think) but my mom still has a dozen to this day. I figure many people born during WWII were equally frugal. That carried over to me. But...... only in the middle of my 40's, I'm starting to realize that I wasn't born during WWII. I can afford a (used) buggy every month. So, I developed "F-it, let's-do-it" philosophy. Tamiya releases new RC cars every year. To some child, TXT-2 might look as cool as Bruiser did to us. Obviously, they are not the same. Many of us grew up on the dream of owning a Bruiser. But the point is, even Comical Grasshopper will eventually be a vintage like NIB Willy's M38. If I break Wild One, it will turn into a fun restoration project. I loved it when my Grasshopper was thrashing in the dirt. That's how I got into this hobby. I admit I cannot run 36 cars everyday. I have a hobby room that's turning into a museum. But I did not start the hobby thinking, "I'm going to be a curator of Tamiya cars!" That seems like an old man's hobby, to me. (I'm not judging because I'm catching that tendency, myself) Instead of keeping my buggy the way it was in 1987, I want to keep myself the way I was in the 80's. (I might change my mind as I get older. But for now, I'm going to run them to dust)
  17. cats live forever though, and they have nine... your carpets must be ancient....
  18. I also took good care of my possessions as a kid. I addition to not getting wrecked toys replaced, I would have been in downright trouble if something was broken under abuse. I never beat on my RCs as a kid. I used them daily, but never in anger. I think I got very lucky with my Tamiyas as a kid. I never broke any of them (ok, my Lunch Box axle springs broke, but they all do that), not even my Lunch Box's body mounts. Partially, it was down to the models I had. The Lunch Box, Super G, Bullhead, Fox and Vanquish are fairly reliable if driven with care. If I had an ORV monster maybe things would have been different. Today, I still drive with care, possibly even more care as I'm always considering the amount of work that goes into them as opposed to the youngster's "race to get it built and running" attitude. But today, they break (many are just old plastic, so it must be expected). I also find defects more often (or hear about them thanks to the internet, the Super Astute being my latest worry). The funny thing is, parts are more available than ever but I fret more about it. To successfully enjoy running an ORV monster guilt-free, I have a massive stock pile of spares built up from over the years. I honestly think sometimes I should just get rid of most of the runners because of all the needless concern I pay them. If it doesn't bring joy and the looming fear of Tamiya discontinuation is ever-present, why bother?
  19. Yes they are a bit noisy, all good!
  20. After months of mucking about with onroad cars, i realised i hadn't run my thunder dragon for ages. I rectified that on the way home from work. The smaller mounds of grass cuttings proved to be quite good ramps!
  21. Final couple of bits and i think i am calling this done. Since i built it i have been holding the battery plate down with two screws and some spare damper discs. Today i got some TA05 battery screws so i can use body clips instead. This is the internal layout. Not the neatest, but everything is snug under the chopped Sand Viper shell chassis cover I also got the 31t pinion today. It definitely takes the edge off the top speed, but it does make the car easy to handle. After running a whole pack on the 34t last night i think i got used to the speed, so i might revisit this. Although one thing stopping me is that the TRF201 spur cover doesn't fit over a 34t pinion. I was pleasantly surprised today to find the 31t does, and i prefer the gears covered. I'll get some running video when i can grab a gopro from work. It really does move nicely.
  22. It’s usually caused by small bits of excess material from the sprue on the bevel gears That drive the centre propshaft
  23. Mine is very noisy too, and not very free. Sounds a bit better than yours though. Maybe try loosening the screws on the cover a quarter turn? Try and give the gears a little more space.
  1. Load more activity