All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. A new project via buyee. Don't think it's significant enough for a build thread.
  3. Sorry, but I don't have them for the M-05. But in the M-08 on the other hand...
  4. I am not sure if a heavy repro stand, good lights and a pretty serious pro camera would do any better? With such a small sample, perhaps multiple photos and stitching would do it. There's AI stuff that you can use to up the resolution and "clean up" stuff but I've no idea how it has evolved in the last year or so.
  5. Meh, it is good I guess for those of us that run their Avantes and haven't bought spares. 13 years ago (OMG!!!!) this was a huge deal. Now it's just Tamiya making stuff no one wants. We all know the list, but instead of bringing out one of the cars everyone wants they drop another Avante, thunder shot, Top Force, or TT02. Fail.
  6. Update for anyone who is interested... I bought the 26t 05 mod pinion that was available...and it fits! It is the largest you can use with the original TTC. The Mesh is perfect, and it is steel, not the soft aluminum so it should last. I did purchase a Super Stock BZ motor and upgraded the bushings to bearings. It has a lot of torque, so hopefully it will be a good combination for my runner Astute.
  7. It is a little pricey, BUT it's been ten years (holy cow) since the last one and the economy is a disaster compared to 10 years ago, price is in line with inflation. Is it a little lazy, maybe. Tons of people have wanted this and AE/Tiger listened. Price is in line for what a garbage vintage would cost and a NIB RC10 Classic from 10 years ago will cost you double. It's a win! AE/Tiger do need to step it up now, next one needs to be a T or Graphite. Then everyone will lose their minds. Meanwhile Tamiya keeps dropping things no one has asked for......
  8. As above, i think 1:64 will pixilate like mad. I tried with 1:18 (ish) scale to 1:10, and was just about bearable- https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/78325-orange-blossom-ll-pulling-truck-build/&tab=comments#comment-613417
  9. Today
  10. Man those things are like rocking horse poo now! There is a set on eBay from a seller in Japan but coming in at over £100 delivered. Too rich for me. Are you thinking of making your own? iirc @Pylon80 and @Andreas W have them and may be able to help but equally I might be miss remembering.
  11. I used a Posca ultra fine marker. Worked pretty well. Its an acrylic so it was easy to clean up if I made a mistake. Terry
  12. Well, this problem wasn't a screwdriver problem, but a 3D printer problem. However I think I spent around an hour last night not really doing anything, but just holding various servos to try and see how the steering might be fixed. The stock steering is odd. In order to have enough space for the front motor and gearbox they have put some of the steering mechanism outside. The steering rack moves back and forth as the steering horn rotates, but both rack and horn are on the outsides of the car. I spent a lot of time working out how to make this work, when I realised I could mount a small servo upside down which connects directly to the horn. The current horn won't attach to a servo, so I 3D printed a new horn with a 15T spline for the small scale servo I am using. This does mean there is no servo saver, but I am hopeful that the small scale, low speed and metal gears will mean that won't be an issue. It's likely the spline may fail before the servo does, so I might have to think of the horns as semi-disposable. here are the horns, you can see how the horn is made of super basic shapes that then are blended together. I did use an STL of the 15T spline to add, as that was beyond me. I will test this evening.
  13. That was my understanding too, the ball diff is in the manual?
  14. Got my tracks yesterday, came in a bigger box then I was expecting. Next rainy day I will be building these.
  15. I get the feeling that TAs disposable race-grade stuff isn't paying the bills, so they've got their ugly "bashers" to compete with Traxxas, slow on-road cars with bushings to compete with Tamiya, crawlers that work like every other crawler on the market, and RC10 re-releases to sell to collectors. To your other point, Team Associated will happily sell you a spoonful of lithium grease for only $10!
  16. I had a re-re Brat, the re-release is worse in a few areas (no decals for the hard body, dogbones that fall out easier than the old hex drives, same exact crap gearbox as the original).
  17. Just to clarify, you've had 2 of the original style rerelease 2011 Avantes (cam-loc wheel, etc.) and they didn't come with the center ball diff that's pictured on the ide of the box? I thought only Black Special version omitted this for the Egress-style center locked/twin f/r ball diff setup.
  18. In the original thread I started about this earlier, I admit I had some trepidation about being a bit negative about the price. But, I figured we're all here to talk about toy cars so having an opinion is ok as long as one respects other's opinions. I'm happy for those that see value in this rerelease which is more representative of the original and less of a display piece than the clear version. I'm in the hard "nope" category as well unfortunately although I'm glad not to be alone in that. I have sold off cars to make room and saved back for this RC10 but its just too much money. Its much like the feeling I mentioned in the "That's too much!" thread. When I see pricing like that, much like a $10+ can of paint, I can't help but feel we're being taken advantage of. This is even more true with something that tugs on the heartstrings like the return of the RC10 certainly does for some. This "Limited Edition!!!" FOMO crap angle doesn't help either. There will no doubt be defenders of the price and Associated's actions and that's cool. If its worth it to someone then they should go for it and be happy doing so. Everybody knows its nowhere near as bad as some of the garbage that's transpired of late in our hobby (Trashaxx shenanigans and Horizon's destruction of Tower Hobbies, etc.) I have a sneaking suspicion Associated looked sideways at what Kyosho was charging for the JJ Ultima and priced accordingly. Of course, being a replica of the '87 Worlds winner with many unique re-created parts just for that limited edition model means that its worth its price. A rehash of the RC10 Classic with some laser etching? Sorry, nah. I know Associated had to remake the molds yet again so there's expenditure up front to recoup, but they had to do that with the Classic too. This tactic is probably to minimize risk through the max-profit capitalism approach. AE could probably sell consistent numbers of these (much like Tamiya does with their mainstay rereleases that have been in production now longer than the originals were) every year at reasonable prices. Instead they went for the FOMO limited numbers max-profit approach right away and will sell every one made (which we'll likely see, still sealed in boxes, selling for $800+ on Fleabay in 2 years). But that's capitalism, and in the short term, the safer (and some would say smarter) move so we can't blame them. They're here to make money just like all the other manufacturers. Maybe we'll get lucky and we might see a more affordable non "Limited Edition" variant come out after the hoopla of this one has died down, but that's probably dreaming. More likely, there will be other RC10 variants brought out in limited numbers at high prices in the following years if this current pricing scheme works out for them. Of course the second a future rerelease crashes (like the Worlds car did), AE could quickly pull the plug too as we've seen in the past. You know, I've got 8 old RC10s that I've had for many years and could have made a killing selling as prices on them have shot up but I think I'll just tinker with them. I've also got something totally new, yet deliciously retro, called the BBX to put together and run without any guilt.
  19. I think probably everyone thinks their method is the "best method". If you already have some PS-1 and some X20A thinner, then for me it's PS-1 and a cocktail stick. I decant the paint by spraying it through a bendy straw into a small jar, which I then leave to stand until it's at room temp and the bubbles have gone. I then drip the paint from the cocktail stick and flood each letter. Surface-tension keeps the paint inside the borders of the letter (within reason). I sometimes move the cocktail stick around a bit to encourage the paint to flood a bit further. If I mess one up I just wipe it away with a cotton bud dipped in the thinner and do it again. A can of PS-1 will do a lot of tyres. Really, a lot.
  20. @Sir Crashalot Clearly an Egress and the article is April 1989…. Is this a prototype or just an early release Egress. Me find out. Release date 29th June 1989 according to Tamiyabase so this pre-dates Egress.
  21. I don't do, collections, as such, but... I would like (feels like I should be sitting on Santa's knee...😂) -Avante -Bruiser - Porsche 959 - Re re Brat (actually wanted a Brat, and Santa brought a Frog, but hated the gearbox & driveshafts, hoping the re re fixes that..ish) (- none Tamiya , Raco JackRabbit..) Trouble is, none of the original cars above (Brat I don't class as, original, although the only one on the lost likely to happen), are in my price bracket. Having owned a fair few of my childhood wish list (Rough Rider, BigWig, Ninja , Maxxum ) they where rather underwhelming, having raced and got used to modern brushless buggies (the Ninja and the Maxxum I sold, as I didn't enjoy driving them, with the fear of breaking them, and not able to get parts, and the JackRabbit probably won't be as quick as my race buggies either..)
  22. Good idea, machine screws make maintenance so much less of a chore. Self-Tappers belong on "toy grade" RCs.
  23. My pre-order is in. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for the next few weeks.
  24. Hehe. You can see the tennisball-fibres on the tyres. I ban imagine how much of it is coming up in the chassis. It's kind of surprising that these tyres hold up so good. I have no experience with such, but have always imagined that they would wear out fast and just written them off. Nice to read that you had another nice evening together with the lovely Golf. TurnipJF should give these tyres a go as well on a competent car.
  1. Load more activity