All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. LeMans77

Steering Issue 2016 Blackfoot

Thanks for feedback. I've stripped down steering connection to Servo and the part J7/J10 is threaded. Do I need to by the whole J part or can u individually bay the damaged part?
  3. I don't know if it's the internet per se, but the lack of tactile engagement with the world has me worried. A driving simulator instead of driving, or Madden NFL instead of playing football in the park, is the "difference between lightning and the lightning bug," as Mark Twain put it. Physical engagement with the world is important, and it's in short supply for today's kids (for a lot of reasons), and that idea is both sad and scary. (Edit - I tried to type "f-r-i-g-h-t-e-n-i-n-g" instead of "scary," but for some reason it got starred out...? Invoking Mr Twain again, I had to use almost the right word instead of the right word. Oh well.)
  4. I'm a little bit judgey. But mostly curious.
  5. You know, people said radio would rot kids minds. Then it was TV. Now its the internet or rather how it's accessed. And so, some folks blow it off as just the next thing. Supposedly, as our generation ages, we gripe about the upcoming generations just like our parents did and their parents etc. I think that's bull. I honestly seem to be able to trace many many many social problems we are experiencing as a society back to not only internet but the ridiculous ease at which it is accessed. It has cause a dramatic shift and one which can not be backed away from. Pandora's box has been opened. I'll get off my soapbox and put away my tinfoil hat now.
  6. No. No they are all mine! They are my precious (in Gollum voice). Seriously though, I'm not in position to answer that as I don't understand it myself. I can not get head around someone with multiple NIB vintage kits sitting stacked up in a basement or warehouse or whatever. However, like Mark, I do want to understand why. I'm not mad or jealous as I don't have horse in this race so to speak. I'm just curious. No judgement.
  7. Scipunk

The "postman Brought Me" Thread

got my spacers so i can finally move on with the kit
  8. ALEXKYRIAK

XV-01 Help

Re the adjustables: I hold the flat piece of the turnbuckle shaft in the middle with a firm set of standard pliers. I then use flat pliers to twist the cup head of each turnbuckle ball cup piece by a set number of 180 degree turns. (Flat head pliers have no grooves or grips so do no damage) A little kitchen paper inserted into the pliers aids in not damaging the plastic. Normally works out relatively painlessly and fairly accurately. I always measure the resultant dimensions at the end to check both sides are equal.
  9. TurnipJF

Tamiya Wheelie cars for a 3yr old child?

Even better - there are loads and loads of 205mm-210mm wheelbase Kamtec shells designed for Mardave bangers that will fit. Cars and vans of all sorts. Most are available in polycarbonate or ABS and most cost under a tenner.
  10. Jason1145

God you know my hoarding better than my wife lol.... shhhhhhh yes you're right it's a NIB Black Edition LB but I want that kept 'clean' for myself. I suppose the cheapest option would be buy a spare LB body to paint pink for about £35 inc windows and chrome C parts. Is there a lexan Lumchbox shell to buy? If not, can the black LB body be painted just like the white shell? I know.... solidarity brother
  11. Tracked down the nip parts required to remanufacture the front sway bar, just need them to arrive to get it sorted. And as this is nearing completion, I started thinking about my next project
  12. SuperChamp82

What's going on with vintage NIB prices

Completely agree about more thoughtful posts @markbt73 And @Saito2 often tees them up But you’ve offered up a cracker there sir ! Many will wade in with passion about any decent collector owning a NIB, NIB built, runner and basher of every model they love ... And, fwiw, I can sort of see their point - I mean why not ? Admire, build, run, thrash ? What’s not to like about that ? But, for me, it’s pure idealism vs the reality of building (then maintaining) that sort of collection ... whilst simultaneously scratching the (almost ubiquitous) itch of owning all the multiple kits we wanted as kids ! Not that it matters, but it’s equally financial suicide having gone down the ‘multiples’ road before 🙄 So, for me, it’s one of each I’m after these days - whether NIB, NIB built or runner. With trading kept to a minimum. Not sure I’ll ever get into bashing 40 year old nostalgia - just feels kind of wrong to me ... but hats off to you guys who do. Its what they were made for after all !
  13. How sad, the issue is this in my opinion, this generation is the generation of entitlement. Nothing’s earned nor is imagination second nature. This is why this generation of children will have problem changing a tire or taking the initiative to fix or solve a problem by themselves without intervention. I am very mechanically inclined and can fix **** near anything I put my mind to. I owe it all to Tamiya, it was then at 9 years old which at the time for me was like brain surgery when it came to building, troubleshooting and finding inventive solutions to repair my RC car when money was in short supply. That was the fun for me. Kids today can’t even use a screwdriver much less tell you what a flat head or Phillips is. My kids school even quit teaching cursive so I have my youngest at 13 who cannot read or write in cursive. Pathetic to say the least. We need to be a society of problem solving and resolutions instead of the attitude where everything is owed and everyone gets a first place trophy. We owe it to ourselves to push our children and challenge them to resolve problems without coddleing them. Those gravel pushers are *******ers and will grow up to struggle once in there own. I’ll leave it at this.. REAL MEN DONT NEED MANUALS! Sorry mate you had a rude encounter unfortunatly kids are not taught to respect adults any longer and once on their own they will face a serious wake up
  14. GTodd

Help With ReRe Egress equipment

Agreed, i only run one on the big castle in my 80XT.
  15. nowinaminute

Come on, mate. Play the game lol
  16. 53HRA

So, What Have You Done Today?

This In the first 60 seconds
  17. Grumpy pants

I’m pretty sure you have an LB in stock ready to build....
  18. 2 huge boxes of grey...one has 6 wheels.
  19. Ha - yes I know that too... but I'm certainly not going to be using a CC-01 chassis for this ;o) Jx
  20. TurnipJF

The ground clearance is a bit lower with the smaller front tyres, but the spikes on the rears give better grip, which makes it easier to push through and over obstacles. Front ground clearance is seldom an issue with a wheelie model anyway. The width as stock is a bit narrower, but is readily widened, by longer axles or wider arms. Even in stock form though, it is more stable than a WW2 due to having a lighter polycarbonate shell and consequently a lower CoG.
  21. Super Clodbuster Junkie

Tamiya konghead to Kongbox

How did I quote a huge box of gray?
  22. Super Clodbuster Junkie

Tamiya konghead to Kongbox

To put it simply that is a job well done. Looks like some navy sub on wheels (no offense). You could stick these where you were going to put the moon windows.
  23. Peter_B

Cheers, I will drop you a message when/if the time comes. I'll have to investigate the fs-i6 a bit more first.
  24. nowinaminute

Lunchbox again. I'm going to go blind and get hairy palms at this rate. All my other RCs are getting jealous too!
  25. You guys can get as wordy as you want. That's one of my favorite things about this forum: the discussions. I get tired of "Look what I bought/made/found!", and I like a good long-winded philosophical post. In fact, I have a question to pose, sort of a hypothetical situation: for those of you with huge collections, particularly multiples of the same kit, what exactly is the draw of having 3 or 4 (or more) of the same kit? And (again, hypothetically), if someone approached you about buying one of them, what would your reaction be? Would you consider selling the "worst" one, knowing that you have other, nicer examples? Now, keep in mind that in the past couple of years I have started to collect NIB vintage static model kits, which have at least as much nostalgic appeal to me as RC kits. Maybe more, in fact, because I was building them for many years before I got into RC. It's a very similar mindset, but on a smaller scale (both physically and financially). And as such, I can answer this question for myself, and the answer is "It depends." I don't buy anything (model kits, RC cars, real cars, guitars, or anything else) with an eye towards selling it. I have, in the past. I spent quite a few years restoring and flipping vintage RC cars, and I'm happy to say that I was able to come out just a little bit ahead doing so. (I of course immediately spent that profit on more RC stuff, but I digress.) But I got tired of that game, and these days if I buy something, it's probably going to stay with me. Which means I'm very selective about what I buy. Three times already, I have passed over buying kits I already have, because owning a second one seemed silly. But there are certain kits which, if I found another, I would buy, especially if I found an older or nicer example. At that point, the less-nice or less-desirable-box kit is still not going to be sold. It's going to be built, and displayed with the nice one. In my head, I have a vision of my study/workshop in my retirement days, and the shelves (those that are not overflowing with books) are lined with model cars: a built example sitting in front of a NIB example. At that point, if I already have a "keeper" and a "builder," I don't need any more of that kit. However, if I did come across a bargain on something I already have, I would still buy it... but I would be buying it to sell. For a profit, naturally. So, over to you, NIB RC kit collectors: if I (hypothetically, although I wish I could do it for real) saw that you had a stack of 4 vintage Boomerangs (or something), and I wanted to buy one, would you sell me the one with the little water stain on the box lid, or the cracked blister pack, for a fair price? Or can you just not get by with three? And if not, why not? I don't mean for this to sound confrontational; I'm honestly trying to understand.
  1. Load more activity