All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Jonathon Gillham

Recommended kit

Theres a good chance it comes with the TBLE-02S anyway. I've seen cars advertised with a 105 which came with a TBLE-02S as the 104/5 are old now. Sellers don't update their ads or product descriptions, especially for models that have been around a long time. Like you I prefer the TBLE-02S due to the versatility of it. I would email them and ask the question
  3. Hobgoblin

The Day eBay Killed RC

Anything like eBay where we ultimately decide the cost, do we have anyone but ourselves to blame? I genuinely believe you can lower a value of a specific product (in a niche hobby like this) by not playing along. Don't drive up prices with needless bidding, don't pay the asking price and be prepared to wait. I don't bid until the last 30 seconds. I have my price in mind and I'll go up in increments of a few pounds until it looks like the other person is going higher than me and then I dip out. At the end of the day, not winning auctions is kind of a good thing as it means I keep my money, and add some of next month's paycheck to it so I can go higher if I still want the next one. Keeps me from spunking money on passing fancies.
  4. Don79

Recommended kit

Appears to have TEU-104BK. According to tamiyausa: The TEU-104BK is intended to run the included 540 motor (27 Turns) found in most of Tamiya's assembly kits, and can handle up to a 25 Turn Tamiya Torque Tuned motor. I don't know what to make of that, and in a way it'd feel better to have a 02-S in case i want to go brushless at some point. I find it weird that the Neo fighter is 30 euro cheaper in Tamico given this but there might be stuff I'm missing.
  5. novicelad

So, What Have You Done Today?

Still love Tamiya
  6. Nobbi1977

The Day eBay Killed RC

eBay has saved a lot of hobbies. I can get vintage bike parts that were unavailable 20 years ago because they were in someone’s shed and they had no way of finding a buyer. There will always be people asking the earth for junk but you mostly see it listed over and over again because no one will pay it. An item is only worth what people will pay, if you are complaining because parts now cost the maximum of what you will pay rather than a fraction of that then, unfortunately, that is the way markets work. If they have it and you will pay then it sells, if you will not pay but someone else will then it sells. People seem a little bitter because the seller is now getting the best price for their item. A wider market has pushed costs up because we are all chasing an ever decreasing quantity of stuff and competing with an ever increasing amount of people who want it. If you think RC is bad then look at the vintage bike market. Cars are out of reach for the middle range investors so bikes are the new favourite. Money is making nothing in the bank so people are buying “stuff” instead.
  7. ordered one from RC mart whilst I'm waiting for the slow boat Does anybody have a list of the humongous number of bearings that I need. Please if it makes a difference include 4ws version along with any good suppliers. Not sure I'll use body or wheels just have to wait and see
  8. Jonathon Gillham

Recommended kit

What ESC does it come with? As far as I know all the Tamiya ESC should handle the Sports Tuned motor fine. There is a lot of debate as to whether the Sports Tuned is a 27T motor with advanced timing ot a 23T motor. Either way, its pretty tame from the ESC point of view. A friend runs the Super Stock 23T on TBLE-02S (out of spec for the ESC) in a few cars and hasn't ever had a problem, and that includes in a Boomerang running on grass. Steel pinions are preferable as they don't wear out. The aluminium pinions do wear and can create a paste as the aluminium dust mixes with the grease, and this is bascially a grinding paste to wear your gearbox out. @Juggularuses silicon to prevent this. In saying it if you're sticking to brushed motors like the silvercan or sports tuned you should be fine for a while.
  9. Jonathon Gillham

Brushless Motor & ESC recommendations

Blinky is when the ESC has no turbo or boost or dynamic timing programmed in. Its called blinky because most ESC have a light that flashes to show that it is in this mode and legal for a stock class so its a quick way for scrutineers to check. FDR is final drive ratio. The Boomerang has 4 options from about 7.5 to 10.5 depending on the pinion gear. Modern cars have an unlimited range as you can change the pinion and sput to get anything. Check the manual on the page when you install the motor, it has a table. Mod is 'modified class', basically meaning the rules are open. Typically its the fastest class. It used to be the 10T brushed motors that needed heaps of maintenance, now its low turn brushless motors and a programmable ESC Do you have a link to the Hobbywing combo? It will no doubt work fine but probably won't be that fast. I've seen them without any endbell timing on the motor and just a basic ESC for that money. That TS120 and Surpass combo will be as fast as anything out there at the moment, well maybe a bit slower than a combo for twice the price, but close enough. At the moment the Surpass motor is keeping up with the USD120 motors easily. About 12 - 18months ago the motors had a massive leap in performance, so anything older will be slower
  10. Today
  11. DK308

Recommended kit

The Neo is a great build. And yes, you can run it with a steel pinion. I use a 19 tooth steel 0.8 mod in my Neo. What I really like about the Neo is he fact that it fits a wide range of packs. If you do the Neo, just remember to get a rubber sealed ball bearing kit for it. https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1508&search=DT03
  12. Prescient

Tamiya Bruiser

No, the speaker has a 3.5 mm jack input so you can use a standard 3.5mm audio cable and splice it to the units horn connectors. Loads of space in a TXT/Clod/Bruiser as the speaker is small. I have used 10-20w double speakers before. You don't have to use an upgraded speaker. It's simply an option as the standard one in my opinion was poor. I tried alternative horns Inc those used for model railway and none cut it. The best option for sound is one of these https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=403577&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz6PnBRCPARIsANOtCw0ds2m-LsqXlNoO15dgb8cXlbMWyWdvSOKEqSo61pK3c9qGVQ9k4-oaAiLyEALw_wcB The ESS One is far superior to the alternatives as a sound module and speaker. Then buy a separate LED controller unit with LEDs for £15-£20 Costs more but well worth it.
  13. graemevw

Brushless lunchbox gearing

Cant find one available right now though.
  14. graemevw

Thats a very good point. Im sure i saw one which came with a motor shaft extension and a thick mount like the original, cant find it now though.
  15. ThunderDragonCy

It will likelt come with 15t, but the 17t gearing is good for brushless. Both cars are 0.8mod.
  16. Biz73

Depending on the motor mount, it may not let you lower the pinion, despite being sold as such. I could go up with mine no problem, it hits the gearbox when trying to go lower. I could get a 17t pinion on and it worked, but it wasn't fully meshed with the spur. If you're running on a track, you probably won't want the stock pinion due to the extra torque and it being a "wheelie" chassis. Mine is still running 6-cell nimh's, so lipo will make it even more prone to standing up on the rear down the straights.
  17. graemevw

Your lunchbox sounds exactly the same as mine. Higher top speed and less wheelie is what im after really, ill find out soon enough if ive over done it though. I tend to drive it on track a fair bit and the straight is long. There are also some slow, steep short uphill climbs i dont want to backflip it on all the time. Ill try it with both pinions. I can order an adjustable mount too if need be, gives me pretty much full range then. Im not sure what rpm the motor will do on 2s so i dont really know what to expect. It seems more controllable than lower turn brushed motors though, smoother.
  18. Biz73

The "postman Brought Me" Thread

All that aluminum makes your chassis the weak point. Keep a close eye one the new one.
  19. Biz73

I tried a 17.5t motor with 18t pinion and it was a bit fast for my liking, and didn't wheelie very well. I switched to a 13.5t with the stock 10t pinion and it is perfect for me. I have the FX10 front conversion, solid rod mod on the rear, tires with foams and glued, AW grease in the diff. Oh, CVA's too. It works for me. YMMV.
  20. Dirt-540

I will look into these 10bl120esc. The DT03 17t is okay with the Boomerang? I havent actually got my Boomerang (awaitjng delivery) yet so dont actually know what pinion comes with it as standard, do you happen to know?
  21. ACCEL

tq rc racing a good site to buy from?

I Fargin Dig'em! quick ship, easy to navigate and a plethora of parts. minus side CA. Tax were pushing 10% in some areas.
  22. TurnipJF

So, What Have You Done Today?

Added a few more details to my racing teapot.
  23. ACCEL

The Day eBay Killed RC

before i'd stay on Amazon, now Amazon is Ebay yesteryear. Ebay i have only had a few problems and ALL went my way. there is times i have missed ordered (not reading thoroughly) and return shipping costs it's cheaper to keep it and use elsewhere or re-sell it. in the first conception i never understood the auction side, too many variables, i want it i buy it now. so far all purchases from ebay have been really good and established communications with many vendors that i purchase frequently and has been most fun these last couple of years. If you do not know what you are purchasing and if it's used prepare how to reconstruct. Ebay has been around how long? Exactly, Amain. Falcon, Stormer, RcMart, Goinitro , and alot of other vendors sell there and yes i still visit and shop on their sites, but as of late (depending on product) the better deal is Ebay, free ship, different price (sometimes it's more) majority it's less. That said i miss my Hobbytown, great people were there helped me with several projects mostly electrics. so all that said I'll Purchase my RC Fix from whom ever has the product i need, price point is always an issue. that said for those that delve into this hobby expect to Pay.
  24. Don79

Recommended kit

Turns out my daughter think life's unfair with me just getting One car so I'll have to get one more. Think I'll try and use my sports tuned in that one along with a lipo battery to keep things simple. I want to get the rescented Nissan Titan but according to Specs that ESC wont handle sports tuned or an I wrong? If so I'll have to go for something with the 102 esc in the kit. Maybe Neo fighter due to it being cheap or perhaps an aqroshot. Not a fan of the look of the latter though. Im welcome to suggestions. Also, is it preferable to use a steel pinion with sports tuned? Thanks in advance
  25. Hi all these tyres are in good condition with lots of meat left on them they are slightly perished but still soft will add photo asap. don't know how much they are worth so price is up for negotiation.
  26. unixphreak

The Day eBay Killed RC

right on man. I think i will try to sell more of my items on this website instead of ebay. Got a few cars and parts to let go of Tamiya, Nichimo, Kyosho.
  27. markbt73

Ever have those days..?

I'm with you on the touch-screen thing for sure - I can't stand those things. As for ESCs, there are two points I'd like to make: 1. ESCs are not "new." They've been around since the late 70s, and even in the mid 80s had become the standard for racing to the point where a lot of race-leve cars no longer came with a mechanical speed control (including Tamiya's own Avante, if I recall correctly). Same with motors; plenty of kits didn't include them. There's no reason not to fit a vintage ESC and motor into a vintage car that originally came with neither; in fact, it's probably the most "correct" way to set them up. 2. They needn't be difficult, especially not today. Turn it on, push a button to set it up (if you even need to do that), never mess with it again. And even the old ones that had a potentiometer to set the end points only took a minute to set up. Yes, you can go nuts with programming this and that, tweaking all sorts of paramters, but you don't need to. Especially if you're just plugging in a silver-can motor (of which I am also a devotee; I rarely bother with anything faster these days). I liken it to fuel injection and electronc ignition more than touch screens or "smart" devices: I'm not about to get rid of the carbs and points in my old weekend fun car, but for daily driving, I want to turn the key and go. Just playing devil's advocate...
  1. Load more activity