All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hibernaculum

The Day eBay Killed RC

And by made it, I meant "made it" (i.e. gone more mainstream... for better or worse)
  3. Hibernaculum

The Day eBay Killed RC

This is true for quite a few Tyco/Taiyo models, and has been this way for about 10 years. There is an old forum (still up) where a lot of Tyco collectors used to discuss this at length, and the Lambo has always been highly prized. It's sister model, the Ferrari Testarossa, even more so. (However, the asking price for that is the height of hubris - and I will gladly debate any fool asking $2000 for one - so if you see them online, send them over to me There is no precedent for that price, that I am aware of, and I've been watching far too long) Agree about the re-re and XB stuff... but I think it was ever worse when they first came out. At that time, since the very notion of an R/C "re-release" was a pretty new concept in this hobby, there were some people who claimed they were "pretty much the same" - i.e. the remakes were the same as originals. Which is sorta why some of us tried to write up lists of the differences, large or small, to help define a distinction between them... because those in the know (like here on TC) already knew one from the other. But it helps if more people (including the general public) are a bit more "aware" when selling, or can at least search up the details quickly on Google. Of course, that still doesn't stop some sellers from wishful thinking True. And while I do agree there are some crazy over-priced items out there. Absolutely. The above sentence from NWarty also points to the reason why the base price for a lot of things has risen, and there are not many $50 vintage restos around anymore. I personally don't think it's a bubble. It's part of a long term upswing, that all vintage toys go through - and it won't stop when we all die. But I'm just one guy. Agree with @WillyChang about the Youtube vids talking about values. They're pretty funny huh. When your toys are being breathlessly hocked in Youtube vids by skeezy dudes doing "how to make money" videos, you know your hobby has made it
  4. speedy_w_beans

The "postman Brought Me" Thread

Just a quick update: I tried the 49T pinion and it was about a 1 mm too large. This 64 dp, 49T is roughly equivalent to 48 dp, 37T. I opted to switch to 48 dp and rummaged around my parts box, and I want to confirm what you said: 48 dp, 32T is about the largest pinion that will fit in an unmodified TT02 gearbox. I took some measurements and found an online calculator for spur gear dimensions, and figured 48 dp, 66T would be the smallest spur that would reach the pinion with my motor fully positioned inboard. Anyhow, I ordered some 68T spurs to be safe and will have to live with a 5.52:1 FDR. With a 10500kV motor that will give a theoretical stop speed of 104 mph, but most calculators suggest taking 25% off that figure. Maybe 80 mph if I'm lucky?
  5. unixphreak

The Day eBay Killed RC

Glad I am not the only one on here with the same feeling.
  6. Scouser

Mad Max Fury Road War Rig build

Apologies if this is old news but it appears that the War Rig has an American relative.
  7. Today
  8. NWarty

The Day eBay Killed RC

Mark, you're absolutely right. Craigslist and even Ebay used to have a lot of vintage cars, now there's nothing. Everything seemed to dry up overnight. There's so little inventory, anywhere, nowadays. I can't even look at rctech as everyone wants exactly what they paid for it. No deals, no nothing. I just picked up an F103 accidentally. I got the friend discount because he wanted it to go to a good home vs. trying to sell it. I lucked out. This is the crap that absolutely drives me nuts: https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tag/d/portland-80s-kyosho-c10-rc-truck/6873643343.html ($145 for this POS with rotted tires and no radio gear??? Oh it has a VALUABLE red bag too) https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tag/d/portland-vintage-rc-car-parts-etc/6874329142.html ($75 for this lot of s***???)
  9. markbt73

The Day eBay Killed RC

Oh, I know. Several years ago, I had about 10 RC10s, purchased off Craigslist for a grand total of about $500 in two lots, including a nice low-use Worlds car and two new-built, never-run CEs (and a ton of others). Not to mention the $50 Clod Buster, the $10 (!) Clod Buster, a Raider for $30, an Icarus for $50, a nice Optima Mid for $100 (with another brand-new Raider thrown in for free), a Blackfoot for $60, a Frog for $30, and a new-built Nichimo Exceed for $50. All from Craigslist, all cleaned up and sold or traded away to fund my scaler/crawler habit (and MGB parts). Now? There's someone trying to get $145 for a moldy Kyosho Big Brute, and a mediocre-looking RC10 for $200, and a few "collections" of newer Traxxas/Axial/Losi stuff being offered for very nearly the price of new ones (and "won't separate"). And that's it. I don't know what's going on, other than our little hobby getting "discovered." But I can't imagine that it will stay this way forever. The speculators will move on to some other "hot item" eventually. I mean, look at Beanie Babies; they're not worth anything anymore.
  10. salvine

WTB TA02 projects

Bring me your tired and poor TA02's....Parts cars etc..
  11. S-PCS

Audi A4 STW is going to be re-released

Don't worry, they do that to all of us.
  12. Not a fan of the color editions at all, but strangely, this... this works for me. Looks awesome in black.
  13. NWarty

The Day eBay Killed RC

I agree that it will when we start running out of retirement money at the old folks home But, it hasn't popped yet after three years of hugely inflated prices. Not only on ebay, but SOOO many Craigslist/Offerup doofuses think their busted up POS is worth big bucks. Gone are the days of $40 Grasshoppers and sub-$100 vintage restoration projects. Not only Tamiya, but look at the other OEMs also. There's no snowball's chance in H.E.Double Hockeysticks, that I'm finding a decent, unmolested RC10 for restoration under $100 USD. They made a TON of RC10's. So what gives? Uninformed sellers? Greedy collectors?
  14. ThunderDragonCy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Got the Boomerwig running. Waiting on stickers, but pleased how it turned out. Not sure if it's a keeper yet, but it's fun to drive.
  15. ThunderDragonCy

Boomerang wreck to Boomerwig runner

Annnnd running! Got a screaming deal on a full set of new Mooncraft wheels which look great. I fitted some schumacher mini spikes on the rear and some CAT blocks on the front from the spares box. Also picked up a cheap 21t stock motor as well. Shell came with the original wreck. It's a very poorly painted and cut repro shell. I have tidied it up around the edges and added a few layers of double sided foam tape and some velcro to hold the front down now there is no anti roll bar. Gotta love that classic profile! As i don't know if this is a keeper, for now it stays. I have ordered some decals from MCI in a non-box art scheme to see if i can give it a lift. It ran pretty well, but i think the ESC is a little weak. It's fun to drive though. Nice to get it going.
  16. max69vk

The "postman Brought Me" Thread

Well these are certainly a thing of beauty! Now to try & find some road/Dragster tyres to fit them 😉
  17. J@mes

I took my rere blackfoot out for it's 1st run. I put a runner shell and the original wheels on for this. It is the 1st time I've tried a brushless motor. Had a lot of fun doing a lot of donuts
  18. Hairyjon313

Audi A4 STW is going to be re-released

It's almost like Tamiya wait for me to get a rare shell and then they re-release it.
  19. spankrjs

Technically yesterday, finished rebuilding my vintage Super Champ. I did use the following re-release parts: front bumper, tires/wheels, and shocks. The re-release front shocks bolt right on. I did install the re-release rear shock, and it works fine, BUT it is 10mm shorter than the original Super Champ rear shock. So, not as much droop or up travel as the original rear shock. Still might clean up/repaint the driver and roll bar. The body is in good shape, no paint, and the original stickers are good. It would be a shame to strip it down and paint it, especially since it is supposed to be a "runner". Will probably just repaint the driver figure.
  20. Hl0107

Help With ReRe Egress equipment

you guys rock! Thanks!
  21. You're not wrong - not tried an iPad but it's a constant frustration not being able to use my android phone..
  22. Thanks Barney, well that’s just pants. I don’t use a PC, I’m an iPad person.☹️
  23. Hey Bod - firstly you can't do it from your phone (App or otherwise), the Share symbol only comes up on a PC
  24. Im after either the bodyset (full) or nib kit of the volvo 850 btcc 58183. Im uk!
  25. Bwaaatch

Avante 89

This is just wonderful! So much thought in the planning and great skill in the execution. I stumbled here having been following @TomEG's dirburners long wheelbase Avante on his site – so sad he doesn't seem to have got that one finished yet. But yours has it's own flavour, and some super subtle finishing. Love it. To recap, did you do all this with just parts from an Avante re re and a Vajra (plus some hi-caps)?
  26. TurnipJF

Is this real? GF01 Monster Beetle...

Easily, yes. With a steel pinion, even more so. Modern brushless motors prefer a longer rollout, and this suits 13.5t just fine.
  27. Kevin_Mc

AMG IRON PANTHER

Nice!!!!! i also think the BBS style wheels suit it best
  1. Load more activity