All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Heh - I've been backing off of runners for an entirely different reason: the neighbor's kid. He's four or five, and I've seen how he treats his toys. He has no idea my toys exist, and it's going to stay that way. One day, either they'll move away, or we will (we want to eventually move out somewhere we can own acres, plural), and at that point, I'll start exercising them more. For now, I'm actually really enjoying the bench time, so I don't mind not getting them dirty. I figure that if I don't leave behind any un-built kits, or un-worn tires, I'll have done the thing right. Between now and then, I'll just take it one kit, one battery pack, one paint job, one wheel nut at a time.
  3. Even back in early 2000, these topics would pop up. I thought, "I wanna see action shots instead!" Fast forward almost 20 years, I'm one of those who gingerly jump into these topics. You grow old with the hobby. I suspect everybody runs their first RC car hard when they started the hobby. The more we build, the more we enjoy building it. Then we admire the beauty. But imagine if you still had only one. You started the hobby with it. You ran it. It's in tatters. You can't sit back and admire the "showroom look." The only option is to run it. Would you regret running your first ever RC car? Probably not. "Perfection-Impairment" (I made that up) is bound to seep into the hobby. Living creatures are programmed to like perfect things. Round apples are better than shriveled ones. Brand new vehicle is better than a beat up one. We like "new" and we want to keep it that way. However, what if the perfectionism is preventing us from doing what we like? Perhaps we have to be human and enjoy imperfect things. This is a recent revelation for me. A hobby shop owner sells T-shirts that says, "Mediocre Modeller's Club." Somebody called his skills "mediocre." To paraphrase Andy the hobbyshop owner, you have to start from no-skills. So just enjoy it no matter what your inner perfectionist says. I realized that I wouldn't even start building because I expected perfection. That seems silly now. I can't be good unless I start as a noob. Why look at magazines and let their perfection disable me? The same could be said of RC. Why not just enjoy it today? Thinking how much I wanted this as a child is living in the past. Thinking how valuable NIB vintage would be is living in the future (or, 'dead in the future,' so some kid would get our stuff dirt cheap at our estate sales). Why sacrifice today for the sake of the past or the future? My parents were like parents of @speedy_w_beans. A distant uncle gave me Caran D'Ache watercolor pencils 35 years ago. They were 24 (I think) but my mom still has a dozen to this day. I figure many people born during WWII were equally frugal. That carried over to me. But...... only in the middle of my 40's, I'm starting to realize that I wasn't born during WWII. I can afford a (used) buggy every month. So, I developed "F-it, let's-do-it" philosophy. Tamiya releases new RC cars every year. To some child, TXT-2 might look as cool as Bruiser did to us. Obviously, they are not the same. Many of us grew up on the dream of owning a Bruiser. But the point is, even Comical Grasshopper will eventually be a vintage like NIB Willy's M38. If I break Wild One, it will turn into a fun restoration project. I loved it when my Grasshopper was thrashing in the dirt. That's how I got into this hobby. I admit I cannot run 36 cars everyday. I have a hobby room that's turning into a museum. But I did not start the hobby thinking, "I'm going to be a curator of Tamiya cars!" That seems like an old man's hobby, to me. (I'm not judging because I'm catching that tendency, myself) Instead of keeping my buggy the way it was in 1987, I want to keep myself the way I was in the 80's. (I might change my mind as I get older. But for now, I'm going to run them to dust)
  4. cats live forever though, and they have nine... your carpets must be ancient....
  5. I also took good care of my possessions as a kid. I addition to not getting wrecked toys replaced, I would have been in downright trouble if something was broken under abuse. I never beat on my RCs as a kid. I used them daily, but never in anger. I think I got very lucky with my Tamiyas as a kid. I never broke any of them (ok, my Lunch Box axle springs broke, but they all do that), not even my Lunch Box's body mounts. Partially, it was down to the models I had. The Lunch Box, Super G, Bullhead, Fox and Vanquish are fairly reliable if driven with care. If I had an ORV monster maybe things would have been different. Today, I still drive with care, possibly even more care as I'm always considering the amount of work that goes into them as opposed to the youngster's "race to get it built and running" attitude. But today, they break (many are just old plastic, so it must be expected). I also find defects more often (or hear about them thanks to the internet, the Super Astute being my latest worry). The funny thing is, parts are more available than ever but I fret more about it. To successfully enjoy running an ORV monster guilt-free, I have a massive stock pile of spares built up from over the years. I honestly think sometimes I should just get rid of most of the runners because of all the needless concern I pay them. If it doesn't bring joy and the looming fear of Tamiya discontinuation is ever-present, why bother?
  6. Today
  7. Yes they are a bit noisy, all good!
  8. After months of mucking about with onroad cars, i realised i hadn't run my thunder dragon for ages. I rectified that on the way home from work. The smaller mounds of grass cuttings proved to be quite good ramps!
  9. Final couple of bits and i think i am calling this done. Since i built it i have been holding the battery plate down with two screws and some spare damper discs. Today i got some TA05 battery screws so i can use body clips instead. This is the internal layout. Not the neatest, but everything is snug under the chopped Sand Viper shell chassis cover I also got the 31t pinion today. It definitely takes the edge off the top speed, but it does make the car easy to handle. After running a whole pack on the 34t last night i think i got used to the speed, so i might revisit this. Although one thing stopping me is that the TRF201 spur cover doesn't fit over a 34t pinion. I was pleasantly surprised today to find the 31t does, and i prefer the gears covered. I'll get some running video when i can grab a gopro from work. It really does move nicely.
  10. It’s usually caused by small bits of excess material from the sprue on the bevel gears That drive the centre propshaft
  11. Mine is very noisy too, and not very free. Sounds a bit better than yours though. Maybe try loosening the screws on the cover a quarter turn? Try and give the gears a little more space.
  12. There’s a number of threads that drift into ‘3 of each’ - NIB, boxed / built + runner To be fair, I can kind of see the merit - admire as was, build as was, run as was etc - but I also simply can’t justify the expense for the era I enjoy So instead, my boxed built all get a run once a year - and I look out for cheap re re to bash The NIB will also only stay that way until I build them as a retirement present to myself 😇 I’m with @markbt73 - the only regrets worth having are the ones that make you cry with laughter guys
  13. i think it really is just a noisy drivetrain (compared to my other rc's anyway). we were actually joking the noise is a good ploy to scare kids out the way. however i've not really noticed how tight the transfer case mesh is. at least mine seems just fine.. if you do manage to quieten it down, do share....
  14. Saving something for later is always a tricky business. When does "later" start? What if it never starts? Like Speedy, I was raised with the understanding that "if you wreck it, you won't have it anymore," so I never abused my toys. (I disassembled a few and ruined them that way, but my parents figured out pretty quickly to stick with Legos and Erector sets and other things that were meant to be taken apart...) The whole "Beat Your Truck" mentality drives me nuts, as does the trend of buying "cheap" used 1:1 cars to overpower and demolish for the sake of internet fame. Any idiot can destroy something; why not improve it and care for it instead? And don't even get me started on rock stars smashing up guitars... But on the other hand, I hate the idea that something is "too nice" to use. Lucky enough to own a Ferrari? Go put some miles on it. Inherited your grandmothre's fancy china? Throw a dinner party. I hate to see useful things being reduced to mere decorations. That doesn't mean you have to use them up, but there is a place for things that don't ever get used, and it's called a museum. It's a fine line to walk, but I'm trying, as I get older, to err on the side of regretting doing something, rather than regretting not doing it. After all, like the old song says, "We may never pass this way again."
  15. As some of you know, I have restomodded a Thundershot recently. When I first ran it I found the drivetrain very noisy, however I was expecting it to bed in after a battery or two and quieten down a bit. This has not happened. I have opened both gearboxes to double check that I put them together correctly, and everything is as it should be as far as I can see. However the gears that fit on the shafts taking power to and from the prop shaft seem very tight against their mates in the gearbox itself. You know, the ones under the little covers that attach to the sides of the gearboxes? It is this tight mesh that seems to be the source of much of the noise. Is this just a Thundershot thing, or is there an issue here? If there is an issue, is it a common one and is there a fix for it? I have tried both the stock thrust washers and proper thrust bearings as well as ordinary ball bearings in the thrust washer positions and none of these make any difference.
  16. What a great story - really enjoyed every bit of it. I love the idea of the period touring car racing.
  17. When i say someone i havent found one in the uk yet - everyone still seems to have lots of the old ones in stock
  18. Someone needs to test one of these against a sport tuned black can - the new silver one says 23 turns on the box. The old one when opened up only had 27 and it never said on the box. This could potentially be quite a bit pokier as its the same number of turns as a superstock
  19. Thank you sir! I wish I had other people to run my cars and trucks with. Right now it's just me, myself, and I. ha! I'm trying to keep it more of a scale track for rally cars, but I might make a few more small jumps.
  20. I agree the slipper does take a lot of stress off the drivetrain. I'm a big proponent of the XV-01, it's a really really fun car. Only thing I would upgrade right out of the box are the suspension arm mounts. Get the aluminum ones. The stock plastic ones can allow the suspenion arm to pull out in a hard crash. Other than I'd build it and have fun! Here's mine!
  21. My childhood experiences still have a big influence on how I treat my toys. I grew up in a (relatively) poor household; my clothes were patched until I outgrew them; we rode around in $300 beater cars; food was basic and nutritious, not much variety. For the toys I did have, my parents emphasized taking care of them as there would be no replacements. Fast forward 30+ years. Most of my worldly possessions are still treated with care, even the cheap things I tell myself should be expendable. It's very difficult for me to run a RC car without worrying about cleaning, maintenance, repair, lost value, etc. I've come to treat them more like oversized static models with a rare gentle run in cleaner conditions. Regardless of what I say to myself logically, childhood conditioning still has a strong grip on what I really do. It's the same in other areas of my life. Drive a car until it's not worth fixing anymore; keep the same one television 20 years; wait for the cat to die before replacing carpeting... You get the idea. I have no heartburn over how my parents raised me; they loved and cared for my sister and me the entire time. It is kind of funny, though, to recognize later in life how strong their influence is even in things I never had or did as a kid.
  22. I'd like another Thundershot re-release, a Top Force Evo, and although it's not vintage, another DB-01RRR or RR run and an XV01 Pro V2. Another run of the Wild One would be great, too. Not sure if these would be considered to be countering the Ultima, though. I don't think that Tamiya has anything that would compete with the Ultima, anyway. The Scorpion was very different from the SRB; the Ultima was very different from the Fox, Madcap, and Astute. We really need new mid-level buggies from Tamiya- not race cars, but something with better performance, durability, and appearance than the DT02/3 and TT02B. Maybe an M08 based 2WD and a TA07 based 4WD would do the trick. How about an M07 or FF04 based FWD buggy?
  23. The slipper seems to really save the driveline. I built my Pro years ago with the slipper and am still using the original belt with a 13.5t. In stock form, the car handles beautifully, and only gets better with tuning and swaybars. Mine is set up for dirt rally with small jumps, and will traction roll on concrete but not asphalt. Other than the plastic suspension mounts, the chassis doesn't have any weaknesses. Mine has worn out several sets of balls and cups- the blue aluminum balls didn't last long at all, the good steel balls last a long time.. I broke an arm once, and a high speed curb shot broke the chassis. The front layshaft gear spun the pin slot once because the plastic spacer wore out. I've replaced all four arms a few times due to heavy wear from stones, and have worn out a few bumpers, too. Maybe six or seven bodies over the years. My car gets a lot of abuse. Three seasons of rally racing on stony, dusty, wet and muddy courses, general bashing including big jumps on pavement, running on clay and carpet off-road tracks meant for buggies and SCTs, letting anyone who wants to drive, and, as the favorite in my collection, high mileage. I like it enough that I'm considering building a truck variant with long dampers and buggy size tires for heavier use. I think that you'll really enjoy this one. It's easily my all time favorite.
  24. Out for a run in the sun. To the trails tomorrow The last two bits from loops arrived but I was out so will pick them up from PO tomorrow.
  25. Only ordered them 2 days ago https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-Scale-UK-British-RC-Mini-Plastic-Number-License-Plates-Pair-Car-Drift-/132536139358. £4.50 + 70p postage 3 different styles + choice of flag etc
  26. Race 1 The club has such limited time at the venue that we don’t run practice. With seven heats, there’s only time for 3 rounds before the venue closes. So I was straight out into my first race – I didn’t even have time to properly sauce the tyres. Not that I needed to – with Tamiya soft red springs installed it had a lot of grip on the front. Very twitch and tail-happy, but slow enough that I could drive around it. As the heat came into the tyres I started to get some grip roll in the tight hairpin. I finished with one tyre half off the wheel. Ah, yes, I think they need gluing… Race 2 I has considered changing the front springs, but I figured it might be better to adjust the handset first. I added 25% expo and sauced all four tyres. Oh, and I borrowed some superglue to glue them to the wheels. I had some 0.5mm spacers in the springs which were giving me too much ride height, so I pulled them out. That’s as low as the truck will go without illegal mods. My first few laps were a bit rough – I think 25% expo was too much and I wasn’t steering in hard enough, but I re-calibrated my brain and started finding laps. I had a few big impacts with the barriers – just out of practice on these tight indoor circuits – and found a braking point for the hairpin that got me round without flipping over. By the end I pulled back some laps on the two junior truck racers. Race 3 I was so happy with my race 2 pace that I didn’t bother to change anything. I only sauced the inner part of the front tyres. Back on track I had a much more balanced truck. It’s still a little light at the rear, and still flips over if I’m not careful in the corners, but I finished in 3rd pace with 27 laps. 1st and 2nd came in with 29 laps each, to be only 2 laps down over a 5 minute race is pretty good going for me. 1st and 2nd are regular racers and have been running in Truckman for a while. Summary In all, I’m really pleased with my return to the track. The most important thing is that I had loads of fun. The club is still just as good as it was, and everybody was pleased to see me back. There’s lots of new members too, which is always good to see, and plenty of youngsters. The second best thing is that the truck is an absolute hoot to drive. I know you can go way faster with a carbon fibre race machine running silky smooth tyres and a three-figure brushless combo, but those rigs are so much fun. The high ground clearance, the hard tyres, the soft springs, the top-heavy bodies – it’s like watching 1:1 racing. And everybody has put some effort into their paint, too. No silly tribal paint here – it’s proper clubman racing colours. My pit buddies have decided the truck needs to be run by “Helmut Racing” so my next challenge is to design some appropriate decals. Oh, and apparently the alloy prop isn’t legal after all, so I have to pull the chassis apart to put the stock one back in – assuming I can find it. And the Probe WP speedo isn’t legal either – I need to buy a Quicrun 1060. It probably makes no difference at all but still, I like to play by the rules.
  1. Load more activity