Sign in to follow this  
simensays

restoring old tires on my Sand Scorcher

As with the paint, the tires on my old SS needs some attention. The tires are not worn at all, but they seem a bit dry/crispy. What is the best way to restore these?

I was thinking of using silicone, like the stuff you use on rubber on old car, but there's probably some better way of doing it.

thnx - simensays

Unfortunaltely, you can't properly fix tears in rubber: all there is left is buying a $100 set of new ones! [:(]

If the tires are in good condition, but have that white residue and brittle feeling that old tires sometimes get, there is a product that was recommended on this board a while ago. I think it was called Aromar or somethinglike that... not sure if it is a UK or Us product.

Not a lot of help but it might jog somebodies memory.

The tires are in good condition, no tears, cracks or anything, they just seem a bit dry.

I think I've heard somebody mention soaking them in gazoline, but hey, I didn't say that!

I would skip using armour all. It is about the worst product for tires. I have been happy using Meguires rubber care. It doesn't give a high shine and it moisturizes the rubber. I use it on my 1:1 car and found it worked great for my 1:10 cars.

Gasoline sounds dangerous. I would think the petrolium would break down the rubber.

Jim

Have heared that a product "Gummipflege" found at your friendly BMW dealer [;)][:D] also works good.