djmcnz

Egress Restore Chronicles

Well, a little while back I got a runner Egress (see here), it was a mix of abused, used and new... not a bad price but...

First step was the strip down and identify what I needed. Next was to acquire what I needed. Finally the (re)build.

As it stands I have the following parts; enough for me to undertake an "as new" restore.... with a few expensive parts left over (like a new C tree!). Check out all the Titanium screw packs... somebody (a good seller even) has an Avante Titanium Screw Set available for 125 quid - ridiculous I say, I got all of the Ti screws I needed, with heaps left over, for ~30 quid!! Many thanks to europro975 (Antony) for his assistance there! Whatever you don't see here was new on the runner I purchased - the Avante chassis kit came in real handy for that odd ball connector or screw though... :D

Dave_s_Egress__Small_.jpg

AllEgressParts.jpg

UpperEgressParts.jpg

LowerEgressParts.jpg

• Like 1

Nice collection of parts. Egress prices are scary and may be cheaper to buy a NIB. It is kind of fun and was my most enjoyable restore for some reason.

Can't wait to see this writeup. Looks like it will be a fantastic restoration. A lot of rare parts in there too. Were you able to get your hands on the 12 special titanium step screws (king-pins)?

Cheers guys, yes should be fun.

94eg! - the original car has the necessary step screws in great condition... thankfully... :)

looks like it might be LESS WORK if you just started building a whole new car from scratch!!

you got new gearbox plastics & a centre shaft? only things i can think off not seeing in the pics

and a full set of tamiya blueseal bearings

re screws... Ti screws aren't shiny and the aluminium ones have a tendency to weld themselves over time.

For a shelfqueen i'd be sorely tempted to change them all for stainless steel shiny hex heads = looks heaps better.

looks like it might be LESS WORK if you just started building a whole new car from scratch!!

you got new gearbox plastics & a centre shaft? only things i can think off not seeing in the pics

and a full set of tamiya blueseal bearings

re screws... Ti screws aren't shiny and the aluminium ones have a tendency to weld themselves over time.

The titan screws are a beautiful satin gray finish that looks superb on the shelf and kinda changes color under incandescent light. Also there are no aluminum screws in this car (there are about 8 steel ones though). The nuts are aluminum, but I've never had a problem removing one.

Less than half the OEM bearings in this car have a blue colored seal. Most are actually black (830, 620, 850).

It would be less effort to build one from scratch... and the cost of all this plus the doner car is expensive, not quite the cost of a NIB but expensive nevertheless! The fun for me is in scrounging the parts up over time and learning the hard way... :(

I have the aluminium nuts and almost a complete screw set from the doner, I also have a stainless screw set should I fall short anywhere but it doesn't seem as if I will. Have gearboxes and a prop shaft or two... I need gold front springs (have the rear ones) and a new body, those will complete the build... might be waiting for a while though lol.

What ever happend to more pictures? =)

lol - fair point. Well, that project is now on the other side of the world from me in a box... more pics are some years away yet... :)

What ever happend to more pictures? =)

isn't that like

"cheque's in the mail"

"let's do lunch"

"i'll call you tomorrow"

"this won't hurt a bit"

:)

Probably couldn't bring himself to open all those sweet hopup packets... :)

isn't that like

"cheque's in the mail"

"let's do lunch"

"i'll call you tomorrow"

"this won't hurt a bit"

:lol:

LOL...

Naah, egress is just number one on the long list of tamiyas that I will most likely never own :lol: