ap6318

Wild One Basketcase

Hey guys!

While trawling through real car parts at a local swap meet I spotted a familiar sight at the back of a stall in a box...

dscn0393.jpg

Asked the guy how much? when he said $20 - I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

Got her home and it looks complete minus driver set and broken rear wheels.

I'm going to restore it to running condition. Will post progress and ask silly questions as I go.

great find mate. i look forward to seeing pictures of the rebuild

$20? Great price.

These are fun to get back into running condition. I am just a couple of parts away from getting my second one up and running.

Looking forward to seeing it finished and running.

The answers to your questions should be able to be answered here as quite a few people have fixed up this buggy.

$20? Great price.

These are fun to get back into running condition. I am just a couple of parts away from getting my second one up and running.

Looking forward to seeing it finished and running.

The answers to your questions should be able to be answered here as quite a few people have fixed up this buggy.

Thanks for the encouragement! I've done a heap of reading on the site since I got it.

Yeah can't wait to run it. Good to see there are others from Brisvegas here. Where do you run mostly?

Ok, it's stripped. few bits missing/broken:

1. Chasis cracked - Repair done

2. Nails in front kingpins - Repaired with TT-01 arm pins cut to length

3. All wheels cracked - Replaced with Super Hornet rims

4. Missing driver set - on the look for repro set

5. Battery cover and stopper plate missing - Anyone got a spare they want to part with?

Apart from that it looks good. Off to start the rebuild!

Nice score - you should be able to pick up the spare parts off eBay easily enough - I restored one from a similar state a couple of years ago...

Thanks for the encouragement! I've done a heap of reading on the site since I got it.

Yeah can't wait to run it. Good to see there are others from Brisvegas here. Where do you run mostly?

Ok, it's stripped. few bits missing/broken:

1. Chasis cracked - Repair done

2. Nails in front kingpins - Repaired with TT-01 arm pins cut to length

3. All wheels cracked - Replaced with Super Hornet rims

4. Missing driver set - on the look for repro set

5. Battery cover and stopper plate missing - Anyone got a spare they want to part with?

Apart from that it looks good. Off to start the rebuild!

For running I have access to a 3 acre paddock although it is about an hour away or I just go to the local park.

TC member BeetleLover makes a slightly altered body set which I will be using on my still to be finished one, check his trade room on the main site as he may still have some.

Ok - First update...

Rebuilt to step 10 on the manual - so far so good. Front shocks rebuilt with 50wt oil.

dscn0390.jpg

dscn0392r.jpg

Off to look at the gearbox now... wish me luck!!

bjr250 - I'll PM you in the next few weeks when I'm done and maybe we can run them together - I'm at Capalaba.

You might want to drain the oil back out of the front shocks (if it's still in there) until you finish the build... :)

...unless of course the seals are in good nick... :D

You might want to drain the oil back out of the front shocks (if it's still in there) until you finish the build... :P

...unless of course the seals are in good nick... :P

:D One was perfect - still had 20 year old oil in it - what a smell!

The other leaked before I even attached it to the car so I pulled the seals out and replace with some 3mm seals I had laying around. Seals well now but shock seems to stick when at full down. Not sure if I've done some damage to the housing when I spread the opening to pull the seals out or not. I'll leave it until the end and see how it handles. At least it's not leaking.

Spent a few hours on it yesterday and will upload some more pics soon.

If the shock is messed up you can always just pick up a set of hornet re-re shocks and you will be good to go.

:D One was perfect - still had 20 year old oil in it - what a smell!

I got a dose of suspension oil from a 20 year old hotshot, I thought I was going empty my guts.

If the shock is messed up you can always just pick up a set of hornet re-re shocks and you will be good to go.

Hey thanks! Will keep that in mind.

dscn0397u.jpg

Gearbox opened, cleaned, new AW grease on metal gears, ceramic grease on plastic spurs, 850 bushes replaced with bearings and shimmed to standard... Feels quite good - Not "free" like a modern box but definately not crunchy or clicky so should be ok.

dscn0398n.jpg

Hey thanks! Will keep that in mind.

dscn0397u.jpg

Gearbox opened, cleaned, new AW grease on metal gears, ceramic grease on plastic spurs, 850 bushes replaced with bearings and shimmed to standard... Feels quite good - Not "free" like a modern box but definately not crunchy or clicky so should be ok.

dscn0398n.jpg

The box looks identical to a Monster Beetle box.

Pick up a set of re-release frog/brat outdrives, dogbones and axles. Fit is perfect and you won't have to worry about stripped hex's. :P

Pick up a set of re-release frog/brat outdrives, dogbones and axles. Fit is perfect and you won't have to worry about stripped hex's. :D

Too late, I've already cleaned and rebuilt the old shafts. I want to keep it as stock as possible to start with but yes the frog rear end set up is a possibility if the standard isn't up to the job.

Here is a before and after of the half shafts and axles. They were disgusting but cleaned up nice I thought

dscn0400g.jpg

New boots and ball bearings - better than new :D

dscn0402q.jpg

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I'm really enjoying this rebuild. Can't wait to give it a run.

Wow and I thought I was getting a good deal on one that was $130. Going to pick it up tomorrow. It's a near shelf queen though. Rear brace that connects the 2 halves of the cage is missing. The body is still unpainted though, but with decals. I wonder if I can find a replacement brace or fashion one myself.

Wow and I thought I was getting a good deal on one that was $130. Going to pick it up tomorrow. It's a near shelf queen though. Rear brace that connects the 2 halves of the cage is missing. The body is still unpainted though, but with decals. I wonder if I can find a replacement brace or fashion one myself.

Yeah but this one was far from a shelf queen :D

You could do a search. Most parts pop up on ebay at some stage. The part number is 3585008.

You could easily make one yourself though. Buy some 6mm outer diameter threaded rod from your local hobby shop and cut it to 76.5mm long. A 20mm long screw at each end to hold it in place and you're done.

Good to know about that part ap6318. I'll keep hunting. Maybe $130 is a bit much for it, but if I'm able to restore this thing to it's original glory, then it will be priceless to me. I had so many good hours building and running my original Wild One. Here's a pic of the one I'm getting. I hope you don't mind. Figured it would be better than starting an almost identical topic. Now the other question I have is, do you guys think it's a sin to convert this into an esc car, rather than an msc? I'm a little hesitant to run an msc after some of the horror stories I've heard about running msc's nowadays. -I also forgot to mention that I'm getting full electronics with the car including a hot bodies transmitter

Exactly! Don't worry about what it's "worth" unless you are going to sell it. Which it sounds like you aren't. The main thing is you want it and you got it. You always spend more than what any car is worth to restore it anyway. It's all part of the joy of RC!

If you are building it to shelf queen, leave the all the original electronics. If you are going to run it (like I am with mine) put in an ESC as they are so much easier to set up and way more reliable.

Ok.. Made some more progress.. Rear shocks rebuilt with 50wt oil same as front. Had the joy of that gut wrenching 20 year old shock oil smell again. At least I was ready for it this time!!

dscn0394.jpg

Rear axles, rear shocks, original motor and 18t pinion installed. Build completed to step 19 of manual. Getting closer each day! :D

dscn0403w.jpg

dscn0405h.jpg

A runner it will be, so I will definitely put an esc in it. Now, where I live there really isn't much of a spot to run my cars in, so none of them have really seen any use. When we move to Cali, I expect to find bunches of spots to run the cars in.

I remember how amazed I was at the shocks when I was putting them together. Your rebuilds look great. It's nice to see the progress as it comes along. It looks like you are very meticulous. Should be a blast when you get it going.

Thanks for the compliment. There is no need to rush a rebuild.

Mr Tamiya spent a lot of money in making step by step instructions so it only makes sense to follow them exactly.

Milestone reached - I officially have a ROLLER ;)

Obviously the wheels are from a Super Hornet. That's all I could find for now. Hope the orange grows on me...

Also had to take a few mm off the edge of the wheel adapters as the new wheels are reinforced with a 1mm ring round the inside.

I've used the period Hitec HS-402 steering servo that came with the car - pulled it apart, cleaned and re-greased. I will be using the matching tx & rx as well.

dscn0408v.jpg

dscn0410j.jpg

dscn0407z.jpg

At a stand still for a little while now as I need to buy a few parts like battery cover and a driver set. Might put some electrics in it over the next few days and see how it runs but don't want to get her too dirty before I've totally finished.

Definitely prefer the white wheels, and they wouldn't be hard to get, but the orange could grow on me. Incidentally, looking to get a new body and decals. What do you think of the repro ones? An original is $114.99 on you know where. While I can get the repro decals and body for $40 at the same place. My body has the usual cracks where the corners meet the front of the cage. I started taking mine apart. didn't get too far, as I want to clear my work space first. For some reason, whoever had this car before me decided to use a pair of pliers to try and tighten the top metal connector bar to the two halves of the cage. He still wasn't successful as there are small gaps on either side. I wonder how to remedy this without overworking the threads on the inside of either half of the cage.

Also, what do you think the hole in the front center of the chassis is for? This puzzled me as a kid too.