Sign in to follow this  
legarto

What Does "short Course" Mean

I see the term everywhere, but what exactly does it mean? Is it a class, type of course, ?

Here in the states, they race short course trucks on closed tracks, usually in football stadiums. The other types of trucks are Trophy trucks. These are the ones that run in the desert or open course.

Here in the states, they race short course trucks on closed tracks, usually in football stadiums. The other types of trucks are Trophy trucks. These are the ones that run in the desert or open course.

Exactly, well said.. I really like the look of Trophy trucks after seeing the Terrible Herbst truck here (located in Las Vegas) about 5 years ago..

http://terribleherbstmotorsports.blogspot....6-laughlin.html

Short Course or CORR is more "Grass Roots" racing here in America. It's not mainstream like Nascar (Stock Car) and Indycar for example.

I'm still confused. So, they don't run on rc tracks? When you say closed tracks in football stadiums - running tracks? Are they all 1/10 scale? Thanks.

I'm still confused. So, they don't run on rc tracks? When you say closed tracks in football stadiums - running tracks? Are they all 1/10 scale? Thanks.

The 1/10th scale short course trucks are the models based on the full sized motorsport that's been described.

If you look at the full sized short course trucks, you'll have an idea what the RC models are based on :unsure:

In 1:1 scale, think motor bike race inside a stadium where mounts of dirt are built up inside a stadium. That would be a short course or closed course where racer just keep racing around a set lay out course. For a long course, could be racing within a city course or rally where start at one point and end at another point. For RC I think is just the size of the course. A short course would be one with many turns and only short sections of straight tracks. And long course would be long straights for full speed run. Others please correct me if my understand is incorrect.

short course to me means tons of new people to the hobby, which is a great thing.

in rc the term describes the truck, not the track, because we all run on the same track.

i haven't seen anyone build a track just for sc trucks, they just run them on the same offroad track everything else runs on.

they are pretty fun to watch, lots of rubbing/banging around and scince they are not open wheel they can do that.

the only downside to sc trucks popularity is that the other classes are shrinking. at my track for example all the buggies and stadium trucks run in the same class (now labled "sportsman") because most of the vehicles that show up are sc trucks.

the sc truck class is really the "sportmans or entry level class", most of the guys running are new to the hobby, but that makes the races entertaining to watch. lol i wouldn't want to run with them but i can laugh and watch all day.

The best way to explain 1:1 short course is that its a take on 1:8 / 1:10 buggy racing, ie a continous course including jumps etc. That the idea is to get as many laps in a set time as possible.

Rc short course is a great form of racing. I recently took part in the Radio Race Car international short course shoot out at Coventry model car club, along with a few other TC members (allthough I didnt realise this at the time!)

There where 40 of us, and in over 25 years of rc racing on and off. I have never heard so much laughter on the rostrum, yes the racing was taken seriously but we still had a great time.

And the main question is: where is Tamiya's SC truck?!?!?!?

I have 50 or so vintage Tamiya, 2 Associated RC10 and a Kyosho Optima.

The only cars I run? A Traxxas 4wd SC truck and a Hobao SC10 SC truck... And thinking about getting a AE SC10 2wd truck as well.

I buy RC car magazines all the time; Xtreme RC car, RC action, RC car driver and what not more. All have SC reviews all the time. Some nitro 1/8 reviews but SC trucks are always there. Tamiya? What's that again??? Oh yeah, the once famous brand for innovation that now limits itself to re-re's and Subura Impreza rally cars.

Tamiya is missing the boat!

And the main question is: where is Tamiya's SC truck?!?!?!?

I have 50 or so vintage Tamiya, 2 Associated RC10 and a Kyosho Optima.

The only cars I run? A Traxxas 4wd SC truck and a Hobao SC10 SC truck... And thinking about getting a AE SC10 2wd truck as well.

I buy RC car magazines all the time; Xtreme RC car, RC action, RC car driver and what not more. All have SC reviews all the time. Some nitro 1/8 reviews but SC trucks are always there. Tamiya? What's that again??? Oh yeah, the once famous brand for innovation that now limits itself to re-re's and Subura Impreza rally cars.

Tamiya is missing the boat!

*Cough*

ToyotaPrerunner640x420.jpg

Lets not forget the #58146 Chevy S10 and #58161 Ford F-150 racing trucks as well. Tamiya was first to this type a truck by quite a way. The difference is that the people at Tamiya seem to be able to calculate 1:10 scale. These new examples from other brands are not 1:10 scale, closer to 1:9 scale and seem to be an agreed 'racing formula' 2WD truck between the brands producing them.

The only reason I've been able to fathom for Tamiya getting the scale right is because they work in metric. 1:10 scale is move a decimal place one position. Calculating 1/10th in imperial measurements is quite a bit more involved. 1:12 scale is easier to do in imperial, 1 foot : 1 inch (Why the boats I've scratched built from very old 1:1 plans that were in feet and inches are scaled in 1:12 and not 1:10).

The mentioned cars are very nice cars but they are not SC trucks like the Slash, Blitz, SC10, etc. Also quite old by now.

It's not just the scale (the SC trucks are indeed huge) but the looks, handling, suspension, etc is just not the same.

I'd love to run a SC truck from Tamiya but have waited in vain so long I switched to other brands which I now love. It will take something special to make me switch back. Hoping for that I guess....

Tamiya has missed the boat on the SC craze (which is here to stay!)... Nearly every big manufacturer has entered this arena, many brands to pick from (some better than others). Tamiya has the 201 gearbox that can be used (fix idle gear), so why not make a SC?? My guess, it is not popular in Japan nor other regions... The SC is Taking over in the Americas at the track! If Tamiya builds an SC, I buy it. If not, I save money as I am not a big fan of these trucks to be fair....

The SC class (5-6 big classes) at my local indoor track dominates in sheer numbers in comparison to us buggy racers (like me), it is insane how much people love these trucks, hence the track truly caters to SC trucks. These trucks has become starter trucks for noobs to R/C from my neck of the woods.. Kids are starting off with these trucks also, not like the old days.

My local indoor track: www.702rcraceway.com Even the logo has an SC truck on it..

Sorry to go offtopic

Hmm, there is a thread in another forum were a Tamiya 201SC is mentioned.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-r...002-tamiya.html second page and scroll down.

Do not know if the 201SC is a homemade truck based on the TRF 201 or a truck made by Tamiya.

Maybe it will inspire Tamiya to make a SC truck. Jimmy Wright is a sponsored TRF/USA driver.

Short Course trucks have turned my local tracks into ghost towns for anyone wanting to run Minis.

I want to get one but just don't have the coin right now.

I have been reduced to sportsman class, but I will be lobbying to get my Rover Mini, and RWD M03 into VTA this year.

Short Course trucks have turned my local tracks into ghost towns for anyone wanting to run Minis.

I want to get one but just don't have the coin right now.

I have been reduced to sportsman class, but I will be lobbying to get my Rover Mini, and RWD M03 into VTA this year.

same here. i have to run my rc10b4 with a mix of odd trucks, some 1/8th scale and some random buggies.

same here. i have to run my rc10b4 with a mix of odd trucks, some 1/8th scale and some random buggies.

Here in Singapore it is a different story. Went to a local track today with my Slash 4wd. Only SC there. Rest all modern 4wd buggies. My SC is just as fast if not faster but the buggies lap a bit smoother. Mine drifts, spins and every now and then crashes spectacular after a failed jump. The buggies also crash but al in al it's just not that spectacular (yes, I'm biased... ;-)

It is such a different sight. There were quite a few people just looking and I could hear from the "oh"'s, "ah"'s and "cool!" that many lookers were following me. I feel the trucks are just more fun to watch but also more fun the drive. Not so "sterile".