AndyjcClod

Any One Aware Of A Sand Scorcher Steering Upgrade?

Hi All

Is any one aware of a Sand Scorcher steering upgrade and if so where to get one from?

I am not 100% impressed with the standard steering and would like to upgrade it is possible.

The best and easiest upgrade is a superchamp servo saver and dubro ball links with 4/40 rod.

031106016.jpg

as others have said you will need to source an older front body mount

The best and easiest upgrade is a superchamp servo saver and dubro ball links with 4/40 rod.

031106016.jpg

as others have said you will need to source an older front body mount

Hi Shodog,

Great looking set up mate.

This is the steering set up I want to replicate for a Sand Scorcher project I'm working on. The dubro ball links are all over ebay which is great, as is the 4/40 rod but I'm unsure how long the rods should be? Can you please tell me whether I need to buy a specific length rod, or do I just buy the 12 inch rod and cut it to ( what) size?

Any help would be appreciated... can't wait to replace the weak stock steering rods.

Cheers

I bought these the Du-bro 2161 Swivel Ball Link w/Hardware 4-40.

Hope they are correct.

I also bought the Du-bro Turnbuckles.

I'll let you know how they fit.

post-14992-1294244127_thumb.jpg

I bought these the Du-bro 2161 Swivel Ball Link w/Hardware 4-40.

Hope they are correct.

I also bought the Du-bro Turnbuckles.

I'll let you know how they fit.

cool thanks mate.

an update and a question on this please!

I fitted the dubro ball links and while they feel very strong I now have too much slop in the steering.

The problem is the diameter of the screws that come with the ball links are too wide for the front upright hole.They wont screw in.However, using screws with a narrower diameter that fit the uprights leave too much room for travel in the swivel ball.

I've tried to bind up the hole with threadlock and it's helped a little but not much, and is messy.

What are my options?

Drill a bigger hole in the scorcher front upright to accommodate a screw with wider diameter? doesn't look like that would be structurally sound

Maybe use the Frog uprights that seem to have wider screws in them already? ( don't really want to take my frog apart apart and don't want to buy new uprights)

Buy new ball links with a smaller diameter hole, but that still use 4-40 rod?

It seems that a narrow tube around the shaft of the screw would increase the diameter to lessen slop?

Anyone know what to do please?

thanks

It seems that a narrow tube around the shaft of the screw would increase the diameter to lessen slop?

Anyone know what to do please?

thanks

Yes I was going to suggest, why not just try and use a tube of sorts on the screw? What are the respective diameters?

thanks.. pretty sure diameter of screw going into upright is 2mm ( taking this from the super champ manual screw C4 8mm x 2mm)

I think the 4-40 screw from dubro is 3mm?

it's only 1mm but when you have that much slop on upright and servo horn it adds up to be really sloppy!

:lol:

thanks.. pretty sure diameter of screw going into upright is 2mm ( taking this from the super champ manual screw C4 8mm x 2mm)

I think the 4-40 screw from dubro is 3mm?

it's only 1mm but when you have that much slop on upright and servo horn it adds up to be really sloppy!

I remember this was the first mod every one did back in the day, And if I remember rightly we used this style of rod end (Dubro) with a 2mm hole so that you could use the original screws. Mind you after 30 years the memory's a bit fuzzy and the eyes are a bitt average!! B)