Holmberg

Frog Wheel Options

I love my frogs, and ive never found the stock wheels/tires lacking for where i drive. but i would like to try some other wheels for other looks or tire types. First questions is:

1. does the "Tamiya The Frog (2005) Aluminum Wheel Adapter #53913" do front and back wheels?

2. and that converts to 12mm hex wheels ya? any will work?

3. what are some good ones? and where to get them

ive been into rc for just a few years and there is no real community for this stuff up here in seattle, and the dudes at the hobby shop just scratch there heads when you say tamiya.

1. The #53913 set does the rear driven axles only to a 12mm hex drive. The front has the bearings fitted to the wheels. You would need to look at other mods to get hex drives on the front.

2. Almost any 12mm hex wheel will fit on with the adapters. Keep in mind that large offsets may rub.

3. Carson make a nice 12mm hex wide rear and bearing narrow front 'all terrain' tyre/wheel set for 2WD buggys. Has a similar tread pattern to the BF Goodrich 4x4 tyres and looks quite scale on a 2WD buggy. Available in chrome or black.

carson.jpg

Those look pretty good. Don't suppose you've got part numbers and could you point me in the direction of a stockist?

i have the rear wheel adaptors on my frog. one thing to bear in mind though, it brings the rear wheels much closer in and together, than the standard balloon tyred 3 piece wheels (that sit a long way out, and have bucket loads of offset). if you decided to run 2.2 rims (which allows you to run nice current day sticky rubber), it can become quite high and unstable...mine did anyway.

result: i still just run the original wheels and tyres, and accept the fact the frog is a 20 something year old deign and handles like a dog on linoleum.

I thought I was the only Tamiya nut left in Seattle... Wow! Good to see another poster from my part of the world. Nothing of value to add here. I have been on the fence about modifying my Frog too (other than the black can motor and bearings).

i have the rear wheel adaptors on my frog. one thing to bear in mind though, it brings the rear wheels much closer in and together, than the standard balloon tyred 3 piece wheels (that sit a long way out, and have bucket loads of offset). if you decided to run 2.2 rims (which allows you to run nice current day sticky rubber), it can become quite high and unstable...mine did anyway.

result: i still just run the original wheels and tyres, and accept the fact the frog is a 20 something year old deign and handles like a dog on linoleum.

I also have the wheel adapters and noticed that this brings the rear wheels in a bit closer. I haven't experienced the flipping issues you speak of though, but that could be more related to the types of tires. Does anyone know if there is a longer wheel axle available that fits the frog? I guess the other option is to have holes drilled in the wheel axle a little further out...

Anyone done this?

Mark

the carson wheels look nice mark!

i tried putting tamiya star dish wheels on it, front and rear. like the ones from the dyna storm etc. with nice soft proline calibers on the rear and jconcepts rounders on the front.

looked cool, just didn't work all that great...

Here's my re re Frog with those exact wheels.

Mark

th_IMG_0671.jpg

this is exactly what im lookin for! so what "other mod" did you need for the fronts?

and hi! to jeepnmike, where do you drive offroad cars up here? im actualy downtown and cant find anywhere where i dont get kicked out or harrassed. i used to be in mynnwood and there was alot of construction sites and power line trails there to drive at.

this is exactly what im lookin for! so what "other mod" did you need for the fronts?

and hi! to jeepnmike, where do you drive offroad cars up here? im actualy downtown and cant find anywhere where i dont get kicked out or harrassed. i used to be in mynnwood and there was alot of construction sites and power line trails there to drive at.

No mods for the front.

The front shock mount is a CRA piece from Ebay. Shocks are from a Losi Mini T something or other. These are very soft which IMHO is required due to the light front end. I tried the 1/10th scale touring car dampers on the front and the result was way too much bounce even with the lightest weight oil and softest springs.

You can see more pics by going to my photobucket page via the first picture. I have trouble linking photbucket images. If someone could explain the easiest way to link them, I could post them.

Mark

There is a track in Marysville, an indoor dirt track in Tacoma, and a big track (mostly 1/8 scale nitro) in Carnation. I honestly haven't been to any of them yet (family duties come first). I have been itching to get down to the track in Tacoma and see if I can break my Durga, just haven't had time yet. LOL

I have been wanting to find someone with a private track to go practice on (would be happy to pay), but haven't gotten that far yet.

No mods for the front.

The front shock mount is a CRA piece from Ebay. Shocks are from a Losi Mini T something or other. These are very soft which IMHO is required due to the light front end. I tried the 1/10th scale touring car dampers on the front and the result was way too much bounce even with the lightest weight oil and softest springs.

You can see more pics by going to my photobucket page via the first picture. I have trouble linking photbucket images. If someone could explain the easiest way to link them, I could post them.

Mark

You don't say!!! With even the softest B4 front springs, it's way WAY too stiff in the front! :-D

Really like your solution there!

Is that front tower still possible to find? What should I search for?

The guy lists his parts infrequently on Ebay. Just search CRA in Toys & Hobbies on occasion or contact him directly. Search completed listings for his member ID so you can email him.

Mark