Sign in to follow this  
Rob Buckle

Bearings For Clod Buster

Dear all,

I am looking to purchase a full set of ballraced bearings for a Clod Buster I am modding. My question is: are all bearings created equal, or are bearings from one manufacturer better than those from another. If they are, then the obvious next question is: which do you recommend? I am considering the following but would appreciate any comments, criticisms or alternative suggestions:

[No links to live eBay auctions unless they are your own]

Cheers,

Rob

i buy all my bearings from avid now. (avidrc.com)

i used to buy from boca bearing, but avid's got these cool bearings called revolutions that are rubber on one side and metal on the other. i really like them and am using them in everything now.

not all bearings are created equal though.

All bearings are not created equal, but in all honesty they're all much of a muchness for a Clod

If you go for rubber seals there's supposedly more friction than a steel shielded bearing, but steel shields don't protect as much against dirt ingress, so it's a trade-off either way

Or, you could just get an old bearings from eBay and they'll be far better than the plastic bushings that come with the kit.

Search for 1260 bearing or Clod* bearing and you'll find a few good UK sellers, starting from just over £12.

Timetunnelmodels http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=17 are great to deal with and have a eBay shop too.

All bearings are not created equal, but in all honesty they're all much of a muchness for a Clod

If you go for rubber seals there's supposedly more friction than a steel shielded bearing, but steel shields don't protect as much against dirt ingress, so it's a trade-off either way

Or, you could just get an old bearings from eBay and they'll be far better than the plastic bushings that come with the kit.

Search for 1260 bearing or Clod* bearing and you'll find a few good UK sellers, starting from just over £12.

Timetunnelmodels http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=17 are great to deal with and have a eBay shop too.

Just remember a Clod comes with 4 x 1260 bearings in the kit, so you need 16 x 1260 and 4 x 850, unless you got a really old Clod in which case 4 more 1260s wouldn't go amiss to replace the old kit ones (in case they're worn)

TWINSET,

...a Clod comes with 4 x 1260 bearings in the kit, so you need 16 x 1260 and 4 x 850...

Having looked at the instructions for the Clod Buster I can see the set of 16 and 4 bearings you refer to. However, in the manual these are called up as BD7 (plastic bearing) and BT1 (metal bearing) respectively. Where does your 1260 and 850 reference come from?

EDIT: The instructions also refer to SA1 (called up as ball bearing)???

Where does your 1260 and 850 reference come from?

EDIT: The instructions also refer to SA1 (called up as ball bearing)???

1260 and 850 are the bearing's diameters;

1260 12 OD 6 ID

850 8 OD 5 ID

SA1 are the bearings that Tamiya supply with the kit (the 4 that may need replacing, depending on age)

SA1 and BD7 are 1260s whilst the BT1 are 850s

All,

I've found the thickness (4mm) of the 1260 bearings by measuring a spare I have. Can anyone tell me the thickness of an 850 bearing?

Cheers,

Rob

Can anyone tell me the thickness of an 850 bearing?

2.5mm

Not sure who created this, but;

bearing.jpg

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a customs hit for anything over £18 (including shipping)

US imports are notorious for charges, it's just luck if you get stung or not.

If you go for just 20 bearings and $5.12 shipping, then you're below the threshold

Alternatively as you're in Scotland go onto rcbearings.co.uk

Order in the morning and if you're lucky you'll get them the next day. If not next day always the day after. All my cars have those bearings in including my now sold Clod, and you could spin a wheel and even with the friction of the diff they would still spin for 13 seconds!

Very good value too