Sign in to follow this  
Saito

DN-01 Zahhak vs. TRF201

Easy question. What are all the differences between the DN-01 "base model" Zahhak and the TRF201?

Easy question. What are all the differences between the DN-01 "base model" Zahhak and the TRF201?

As WW-Nut mentioned, they have already been listed in a thread before. However, here they are again:

trf201vsdn-01.png

One more note to add: On the first batch of shipped kits, they also included an extra set of wings in the DN-01 kit.

To me, if you look at the specs of the cars, you are better off buying the TRF201 whatever you're planning on doing with it (except for chucking it away on arrival - then I'd certainly keep the money in your pocket for something else). The TRF201 used to be +/-100USD more, but I've seen the TRF201s go for just 40USD more than the average price of a DN-01. Add the tires, body, wing and reinforced gear set that the DN-01 has as benefits over the TRF201 and you can add another 40USD. So for 80USD more you have tons of hopups.

Consider two, perhaps three hopups essential for the DN-01: Universals (though they don't have to be the WO ones - it's only a 5USD difference anyway), Slipper clutch and the one-piece outdrives. These three hopups will make sure your car perform better, but more importantly, more durable. When you buy these seperately, you've already spent +/-50USD on those parts... So the other 30USD is the titanium turnbuckles, the TRF dampers and the reinforced plastics? Try and get those parts for 30USD :D

What plastics are reinforced on the TRF201 other than the chassis? Where's are good place to by one in the States? The cheapest I've seen is $280 while the cheapest DN-01 is around $185 at Ultimate Hobbies.

Might be just me, but for new kits, I always buy mine from someone I can call and is pysically in America and reputable. I don't mind ordering parts from overseas or off E-Bay, but for kits I spend a bit more for the peace of mind. My favorite has been www.advantagehobby.com because shipping is always free. www.towerhobbies.com is catching up with advantage as far as pricing goes and free shipping (on select items).

Anybody have any other good sources for new kits in the USA?

What plastics are reinforced on the TRF201 other than the chassis?

Good question. I've had a look at that as well back then, the following 'Lettered' parts trees are used on both TRF201 and DN-01: Gear cover (AA-Parts), The Battery Strap (B-Parts), Rear Chassis part+suspension blocks (J-Parts) and Plastic spacers (N-Parts). These are all UNreinforced plastics. So conclusion: All of the TRF201's components that make sense reinforcing, are reinforced (that means, chassis tub, damper stays, gearbox halves, suspension arms, and so on). As reinforcing the gear cover for example doesn't contribute to a better performance and actually only more weight and (production) costs are added (reinforced plastics tend to weigh more than unreinforced ones), it's only logical to leave them unreinforced :)

So, basicly, the DN-01 is a modern version of the DT-02, but now with many hopups available (as it can be completely converted into a TRF201... For twice the cost of a TRF201 probably :lol:)

Your right. The DN-01 really needs to come down in price to be any value. The other thing I find bothersome is that a B4 Factory Team buggy runs $200 at Tower at the moment. That's only $15 more than the DN-01 and good bit cheaper than the TRF201 but with similar specs. I refuse to run anything non-Tamiya, but sometimes its tough to swallow that kind of price difference.

Your right. The DN-01 really needs to come down in price to be any value. The other thing I find bothersome is that a B4 Factory Team buggy runs $200 at Tower at the moment. That's only $15 more than the DN-01 and good bit cheaper than the TRF201 but with similar specs. I refuse to run anything non-Tamiya, but sometimes its tough to swallow that kind of price difference.

Is that the B4 or B4.1? I'm not sure, but i'd imagine the TRF201 is probably better set up for Lipo over the original B4, being a newer model. Agreed though, it is harder to swallow for Tamiya and Kyosho kits being more expensive than others.

Is the TRF201 manufactured in Japan? Coz obviously that would increase the price over stuff main in Taiwan/China.

Is that the B4 or B4.1? I'm not sure, but i'd imagine the TRF201 is probably better set up for Lipo over the original B4, being a newer model. Agreed though, it is harder to swallow for Tamiya and Kyosho kits being more expensive than others.

Is the TRF201 manufactured in Japan? Coz obviously that would increase the price over stuff main in Taiwan/China.

Although newer, the TRF201 appears to have been designed around Nimh cells. Just take a look at the battery in the photo here --> http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/42167trf201/index.htm

:lol:

Although newer, the TRF201 appears to have been designed around Nimh cells. Just take a look at the battery in the photo here --> http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/42167trf201/index.htm

:)

Well that is interesting, would've thought suited to lipo for sure.

Sorry stupid question(s) what are Nimh cells? are they not Lipo's? Lipo's would still fit this chassis? :lol:

Nimh/Nicad/Lipo is the cell chemistry, Nimh is the same as Nicad size wise, a high capacity Nimh 4600mah for example is quite a heavy battery. Lipos are far lighter, and tend to change the entire balance of a car.

The newer gen cars like Durango DEX410 4wd and Losi 22 2wd are heavier cars with different weight balance/characteristics to suit the lighter weight lipo batteries.

Rest assured mate, lipos will fit the TRF without a problem, just to get maximum balance/performance out of the car, some chassis balast may be required.

Sweet... IMO the TRF-201 is a hands down to get than the DN-01, but I am from a vintage age of RC getting into Noob ground here. :lol:

:D

That's just because Tamiya refuses to photograph their cars with LiPo's installed or admit their (competition) cars have been developed for LiPo (as no racer will buy a car unsuitable for LiPo these days)- they even have disabled LiPo cutoffs on their sensorless brushless system! ;) Look at this picture and you'll notice there's plenty of room for a bigger battery than a NimH:

pic1.jpg

There's clearly enough room, though you can also see that it's best to run a battery with the wires exiting/connected on top or in a corner. The DN-01 and TRF201 do have the same tub shape, so the DN-01 will be suitable for LiPo batteries as well :lol:

Now that my favourite online seller is discounting the DN01 Zahhak, I thought it might be worth hitting this thread with the paddles !

So is the DN01 any value now at US $145 + postage ? I'm just interested if any opinions have changed on this one.

If they are still available at this price after I pick up my tax return, I might get one but not worried at all if I miss it !

No, not considering TamiyaUSA is selling 201's for $183 shipped (with body, wing & wheels). Add your local tracks popular tires and you would be good to go. (crap sorry I didn't notice you're in Australia)

And in response to the ancient comments above (that you tricked me into reading), any 2-cell hardcase lipo will fit this car perfectly. Intellect 7200 will cram right in. It was not "designed" specifically for nimh.

I think a better question is to look at the DN-01 at $145 versus the DT-02 Sand Viper at $112 from the same vendor. The DN-01 is a superior chassis with its dual bellcrank steering, turnbuckles, option for either metric or imperial front bearings/wheels, shock angle adjustments, machine screws (instead of self-tapping screws), ball differential, 48p spur, and adjustable motor mount.

If you live in the USA and want a Tamiya 2WD buggy, the TRF201 at tamiyausa.com for $183 is a real value considering the design, materials, and included hopups. If you can't get the TRF201 at that price, then the DN-01 at $145 certainly looks attractive because it's light years ahead of the DT-02.

I think a better question is to look at the DN-01 at $145 versus the DT-02 Sand Viper at $112 from the same vendor. The DN-01 is a superior chassis with its dual bellcrank steering, turnbuckles, option for either metric or imperial front bearings/wheels, shock angle adjustments, machine screws (instead of self-tapping screws), ball differential, 48p spur, and adjustable motor mount.

If you live in the USA and want a Tamiya 2WD buggy, the TRF201 at tamiyausa.com for $183 is a real value considering the design, materials, and included hopups. If you can't get the TRF201 at that price, then the DN-01 at $145 certainly looks attractive because it's light years ahead of the DT-02.

Very true: The DN-01 might lack many of the tuning parts, but it's still miles better than the DT02 even if you only consider the adjustability out of the box, full bearings (which I believe a DT02 doesn't have) and the gearbox that has a ball diff, slipper and offers near endless gearing options.That said, if you'd even consider buying better shocks or universals later on (even cheap aftermarket stuff) the TRF is a more attractive deal.

For any of those out there interested in an even better 2WD deal: Wait until the IFMAR World Championships have been driven (late September) - around that time you should see some New releases, Worlds' editions, Updates etc... Which means new kits of 'outdated' versions can be picked up at very attractive prices :P And to be honest, I don't think Tamiya will sell many +8mm conversions unless they put it in one kit and discontinue the original chassis tub... That means the TRF201 kit as we now it now could drop to or below 180USD everywhere.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but where’s the cheapest place to get a trf201 these days or equivalent? New or old.

I have a NIB unopened cellophaned one if you are interested in going that way - cheapest on ebay i think is a Far East seller at ca £210 + £30 post + import fees

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-42203-1-10-RC-TRF201-w-Upgrade-Pack-Lightweight-Body-Ver-1-Kit/262510179722?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

RC-MADA - used them once (actually for this kit ! looking back)  and had no issues

Wow, now that's an old post of mine ;). I went with the TRF201 form TamiyaUSA back then. Still have it. It was a nice build. Quite a step up from the average Tamiya quality. At $110, the DN-01 is a steal, but then again $175 for the 201 is great too. I'd probably still go with the 201, just for the slipper and beautiful shocks (not to mention the other benefits).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2017 at 12:08 PM, Rb4276 said:

Tamiya usa $175 or a dn01 for $110

So it was your info on dt02 vs dt03 thread that got me to pull the trigger on Zahhak last week!  Thank you.  Shipping was free also.  

The cheapest dt02 on ebay is $125, so $110 wasn't bad.  Add $23 I spent on a 21T motor and ESC combo, the minimal cost was $133.  $8 more than dt02 which comes with a silver can and ESC.  Had I chosen TRF201, I would have spent $263.  ($175 for the kit + $25 for the body, + $40 for tires, + $23 for a motor & ESC combo)  If you put it all together, you can buy two Zahhaks for the price of one TRF201.  DN01 delivers performance at a good price in ugly pink.  (but wheels are white, and "bonus" included 3 more wings)

• Like 1

Trf 201 usa edition comes with body. I still one day buy one frOm tamiya usa. I have so many spares and a few aluminum extra hop ups  that tamiya usa had for cheap during the summer.