TamTom

Buggy Champ vs. Rough Rider front tires

Did anybody recognise that the front tires from the re-released Rough Rider (Buggy Champ) have different size than the original Sand Blaster JR? I just noticed today when I stand those two tires side to side. The Sand Blaster JR are taller in diameter. It is just about 2 or 3mm, but when they stand side by side it is recognisable.

I wonder why Tamiya did make the new tires smaller and skipped the letters on the side wall.

• Like 1

Really!? Have you got a side-by-side comparison picture? Would be interesting to have a look at such difference.

perhaps they grow on you, when they get older. ;)

Really!? Have you got a side-by-side comparison picture? Would be interesting to have a look at such difference.

Here we go. It is quite noticeable that the original FAV Tire is larger in diameter while the width is same. Also note the tread pattern is slightly different. The new tire is more detailled and has deeper grooves. The difference makes the upper section of the side wall where the tread pattern is on. The tread pattern on the sidewall is not as large as on the original FAV tire.

post-1054-1303901028_thumb.jpg

post-1054-1303901037_thumb.jpg

post-1054-1303901044_thumb.jpg

This is a major discovery and probably explain why the Buggy Champ front tires don't have the Sand Blaster JR marking. I just checked mine and find that not only the size is different, the tread pattern from the new tires is a little different from the original. The new buggy champ front tires are actually from a brand new mold.

just remember rubber does shrink after 25+ years.

The OP said that the new tires are smaller

The Sand Blaster JR are taller in diameter.

Well, this is one more reason why re-res just can't stand a side-by-side comparison with the originals. Thanks for pointing this out, TamTom!

I just checked mine and find that not only the size is different, the thread from the new tires is a little different from the original. The new buggy champ front tires are actually from a brand new mold.

That's what I said. However, there is enough space on the side walls for the tire lettering if Tamiya wanted to add them. I think Tamiya simply skipped it because they made new moldings and for cost reasons.

Wow, interesting.

It might just be how the left/right parts of the tire moulds are aligned, but you can see as well that the tread is 'aligned' on the newer re-release tire, while the tread pattern is staggered at the centerline of the old tire.

- James

The more detail changes that get discovered,the more you gotta commend Tamiya's handling of the re-re's.

sure the JR lettering is a bummer,but that keeps the originals precious for the collectors.

the difference lets runner's run without wincing at destruction.

and NIB collector's are happy they still got an original.

it would seem you could count the exact duplicate parts on one hand (for wood work/metal work teachers who seem to never have a full compliment of fingers...5)

its good that there are so many differences yet the end result still remains faithful.

someone better go count how many thread blocks on each tyre :lol:

new Avante tyres feel really soft, much softer than the pinspike of old imho & nearly as soft as PB's

the re-re Hotshot ovalblocks otoh are as stiff as original

methink the pinspikes won't stay mounted without gluing to the wheels

happy I could add some useful information to our comunity. B)

Any difference with the rears? I can check tonight when I get home between the Buggy Champ re-re and my Orig Brat.

John

Has anyone noticed the ceramic grease not only smells different on the re-res, but actually tastes slightly more silicone like?

B)

Any difference with the rears? I can check tonight when I get home between the Buggy Champ re-re and my Orig Brat.

John

Just checked the rear ones from an original FAV against the new Sand Blasters.... well, in my case the new ones are taller in diameter B) it is just the opposite to the fronts.