Percymon

TL-01 Bowler Build

I know this isn't exactly breaking new ground as there have been some great Bowlers on this forum for a while, but as lots of people like to read build threads i thought i'd oblige :o

Hopefully i'll get some tips and ideas along the way, and maybe others can learn from my mistakes and findings in the future !!

So here is the start point..

A lightly used TL-01 chassis courtesy of eBay..

BOWLERTL01START1.jpg

BOWLERTL01START3.jpg

to which will be added these 64/65mm shocks (hopefully not too long to cause dogbone issues)..

shocks.jpg

I picked up these Toureg rims and tyres from member Carrera here, almost new and a great buy (thanks Andy)...

toureg.jpg

The Toureg rims have no offset and will look silly inside the wide Kamtec Bowler shell, so a set of these +10mm offset wheels have now arrived..

123286.jpg

..which should do the job nicely..

Kamtecshells.jpg

I was a bit undecided on colour scheme, especially as all the bright colours have already been done by other members. Looking around at 1:1 cars I liked the look of a limey green metallic Peugeot 207 shade, and a bronze Mercedes A class colour. Sod's law Halfords stock neither, custom mixes were expensive and buying from the car delaerships was worse still, so i went safe with Ford Sea Grey metallic, which hopefully will have a bit of flake and pop about it..

ZetecS3.jpg

The grey will be contrasted with silver detail highlights on the shell (wheelarches, air intakes etc) - well thats the plan anyway !

End point will hopefully resemeble something like this 1:1 version..

1141243472_1411a91b9a.jpg

All comments and guidance most welcome ;)

Simple, yet you'll probably end up with something strong and capable. I did something similar with a TA01.

Should keep you busy for a little while, looking forward to progress reports :o

Looks like a great project mate. will be a fun runner too :(

Looks like a great project mate. will be a fun runner too :)

I'm hoping it will be an interesting but jot too frustrating project!

I've been wrestling with the tyres for two days now, trying to remove them from the toureg rims. Freezing helped a tiny bit, boiling for 20 minutes didnt do anything to break the adhesive bond! I tried acetone but this started to react with the finish on the inside of the rims after a few minutes so abandoned that idea. I have two tyres removed now and two very sore hands for my trouble.

On a lighter note I trial fitted the shocks today and they dont appear to at risk of binding the dog bones in their cups. I also started to cut the body, a long way to go yet though!

Hi Percymon,

You tried acetone and boiling, but did you try baking? I've heard about this technique as well, but haven't tried it for fear of damaging my wife's oven.

-Paul

Visit Shop: winclad2011 on ebay mate - superglue debonder . I've used it in the past with great results . Its the same stuff that they use in A&E departments BTW .

Hi Percymon,

You tried acetone and boiling, but did you try baking? I've heard about this technique as well, but haven't tried it for fear of damaging my wife's oven.

-Paul

Visit Shop: winclad2011 on ebay mate - superglue debonder . I've used it in the past with great results . Its the same stuff that they use in A&E departments BTW .

Thanks for the tips guys - I saw the baking method over on Ultimate RC but the smell of rubber in the kitchen didn't seem a good idea, especialy after the look i got from the other half while boiling wheels.

I've managed to get three tyres off now, using a micro phillips screwdriver as a sort of twisting/boring toll along the bead base of the bead, breaking the glue bond between the rim recess and the tyre itself. No damage to either, just a bit laborious !

.... but the smell of rubber in the kitchen didn't seem a good idea, especialy after the look i got from the other half while boiling wheels....

hahaha, do I know that look :)

I have baked tires several times and really the smell is not all that bad and dissipates quickly and it is quick and easy....Much less hassle than boiling

Got the fourth tyre off today after a few minutes with the improvised boring method. Project on pause for a week now as I'm visiting relatives :)

Over the last couple of days i've managed to grab an hour or two here n there to progress things a little.

As of this evening..

Alloy shocks fitted

+10mm offset wheels added and these seem to be spot on for the correct alignment with the wheelarches of the shell - happy bunny

Shell rough cut - need to take another 6mm off the side sills to be more representative of the 1:1 Bowler, and plenty of work to do around front and rear bumper sections

Clear polycarbonate sheet cut for side windows (2 piece, aiming to have one slide inside the other)

IMG_0022.jpg

Slight change of plan - decided Sea Grey is a bit boring for something as spectacular a sa Bowler, so ...

called at Ford dealer for some Lime Squeeze paint - £18 a can, minimum order of 3 cans - errr, no thanks !

went to Peugeot as my back up - Lacerta Jaune, £8.70 for 150ml can, next day delivery = BINGO

So I'll combine Lcerta for the main body and Sea Grey for the details.

For those wondering what Lacerta looks like..

p5179017.jpg

I like . Great colour combination . What motor do you intend using in this beast ?

I like . Great colour combination . What motor do you intend using in this beast ?

starting with a silver can as a base point - can then decide how fast i want ,or need, to go.

I have a spare TZ motor, which may or may not be too much power/speed.

Collected the Peugeot paint at lunchtime - £10.70 by the time i pid the VAT.

A nice bonus was that it came with lacquer too <_<:unsure: - so i got a 150ml spray can of the lacerta jaune and a 150ml can of clear lacquer - great value IMO

Collected the Peugeot paint at lunchtime - £10.70 by the time i pid the VAT.

A nice bonus was that it came with lacquer too :unsure::) - so i got a 150ml spray can of the lacerta jaune and a 150ml can of clear lacquer - great value IMO

At that price i'd be better off buying my paint from Peugeot than Halfords <_<

At that price i'd be better off buying my paint from Peugeot than Halfords <_<

Whilst the cans are smaller than Halfords (half the size) they are comparable to RC spray cans - you also don't have to stare at the myraid of greys, silvers and blues that Halfords stock.

Custom colours at Halfords are about £17 a can.

Peugeot / Citroen actually have quite a good range of slightly unusual blues, greys, browns (bronzes) as well as more wacky colours like..

.. salamander orange..

cp5623260514912952224.jpg

and 'my' lacerta yellow.

Renault also have some vibrant blues and greens..

renault-clio.gif

how is it getting on?

Body is cut and near as dammit ready for sanding prior to primer. Compared to the last picture i posted i've taken the excess plastic fromt he front and rear bumpers, and taken 6mm off the side sills - now looks more akin to the 1:1 car. I'm a little undecided whether to cut out the rear and fit some spare tyres, or not.

Have made a front sump guard from plasticard - needs final fabrication, and prepping for paint

Still got the rear spolier to cut, sand and prep - will paint it and then decide whether to use it or not

Not figured out body mounts yet - its currently sat on the long rear TL-01 body mounts with two Tamiya spanners atop them to make up the gap !!

Basic set of LEDs ordered today from fleabay

Been drafting out an interior in cardboard, and last night spent a few fruitless hours translating it into plasticard :) A LOT of work to do on that !

If i'd opted for the lexan shell i reckon i'd have had it painted and fitted by now, but the ABS shell is giving me too many choices (and a heap of work too :rolleyes: ) - not sure how much of my ideas i can really pull off, i might get bored before long, paint it and be done with it as is !

Now then mate . Dont go getting down hearted . I'am sure you have the skill to do a great interior . The spair tire mod is also quite easy . Just take your time - wots the rush ? Its finished when its finished . Be weeks yet till its running weather . B)