Skottoman

Knight Hauler Build

Hello all,

This is just going to document the build of my Knight Hauler I got for xmas...

What a great build so far... something totally different for me. Taking my time, cutting all excess plastic from the parts after cutting from sprue. Also ALL metal/metal nuts/bolts/rails have been locktite set.

Cheers,

Skottoman

kh_build_1.jpg

kh_build_2.jpg

kh_build_3.jpg

kh_build_4.jpg

kh_build_5.jpg

I will be watching this, wouldn't mind one myself but it will be far away if I ever get one :blink:

Looks like you´re off to a great start in RC Trucking, Scott. ;)

Yes, the trucks are nice builds, but when the customizing starts, it REALLY gets fun. ;)

One of my next ideas also includes a Knight Hauler.. AND a whole lotta LED´s, lol. :blink:

Looking forward to updates. ^_^

Cheers.

Michael

Looks like you´re off to a great start in RC Trucking, Scott. ;)

Yes, the trucks are nice builds, but when the customizing starts, it REALLY gets fun. ;)

One of my next ideas also includes a Knight Hauler.. AND a whole lotta LED´s, lol. :blink:

Looking forward to updates. ^_^

Cheers.

Michael

I wanted to mention that I looked into the servonaut stuff, but decided for my first build to go with the MFU setup. I think it will be easier for me to start to see how these trucks go together.

Plus the knight hauler is pretty much built with the MFU in mind (i.e. the coupler sensor, etc)...

Has been a smooth build so far, but I will for sure be doing some painting. I find all the chrome to be boring, and the same.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Neutral gunmetal painted! Now after a week of curing, I can add the accent color. It's the coral blue on the test sprue... Can't wait!

kh_build_10.jpg

kh_build_11.jpg

kh_build_12.jpg

Yah, I only waited 2 days. Gunmetal held up fine to the masking. What a pain to mask though!!!

kh_build_18.jpg

Now the body is going to have to sit for a few weeks before wetsanding and clear coating! ACK!

kh_build_19.jpg

kh_build_20.jpg

Looking great so far , Looks like a fantastic build .

I would like to build one , But don't think i would get one as i could not use it where i live .

But the detail & the amount of parts etc , makes it an excellent build .

I'm sure you have had meany hours of fun just putting it together .

Nice paint colors , so far .

Thanks for the pic's .

Hmm, this thread has done nothing for me......except.......MAKE ME WANT A TRUCK KIT REAL BAD . Excellent job mate, looks awesome.

Nice job, I do like the trucks.

Bought the Merc a couple of year ago, wanted one since the king hauler first came out,

Now it just sits in the wardrobe with a few battle scars on it, think its time for a break down, rebuild and a fresh coat of paint.

Nice colour choice, I wasnt too keen at first but definatley growing on me and the list for customisation is ENDLESS.

Now that the speaker box is installed, I can see a major mod I need to do.

I really want an interior (you can see the box takes up ALL the room), so I'm going to put the speaker in the top cab pointing down, seal it off except for a port into the main cab, and turn that part into a speaker box.

A little smaller volume, but I think it should work well. Basically a speaker enclosure on top of the cab. nice.

But for now I'll build it up stock... keep on building... keep on building...

kh_build_24.jpg

kh_build_25.jpg

kh_build_26.jpg

Now that the speaker box is installed, I can see a major mod I need to do.

I really want an interior (you can see the box takes up ALL the room), so I'm going to put the speaker in the top cab pointing down, seal it off except for a port into the main cab, and turn that part into a speaker box.

A little smaller volume, but I think it should work well. Basically a speaker enclosure on top of the cab. nice.

But for now I'll build it up stock... keep on building... keep on building...

kh_build_24.jpg

kh_build_25.jpg

kh_build_26.jpg

how about mounting the speaker in a reefer trailer ??????? just a idea .

how about mounting the speaker in a reefer trailer ??????? just a idea .

I don't actually have a trailer yet, but I think the over the cab speaker box will do the trick.

For now I'll leave it stock but really want an interior!

I've read other places that some people have actually put more of a subwoofer IN the box trailer!

Cheers,

Skottoman

I'm enjoying this build, so please keep the progress pics coming! Still in the "decision mode" as far as what I want in a truck, so these builds are pretty educational.

~ Jeff

ARG! Spent the whole day trying to get the basic electrics with the MFU working... No lights yet, but it seems the radio I have doesn't work.

For some reason it appears the 2.4 messes up the MFU. It's never consistent, I can't calibrate it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

Here's someone else describing one of the problems I'm having. He went to FM and it works now...

http://tamiya3speed.com/forum/showthread.p...s-over-and-over

Guess I have to get another radio! ARG!

Well, regardless of the radio issue, I'm very pleased with my wire routing/management, and the body is still curing. What a great kit though! Just wish the 2.4 systems worked with the MFU!!!

kh_build_27.jpg

kh_build_28.jpg

kh_build_29.jpg

kh_build_30.jpg

kh_build_31.jpg

Hi Skottoman, which 2.4 r u using? Guessing its Futaba, looking @ ur rx.....

I duno abt futaba...but i have guys over here who r using Spektrum DX6 & DX8 and they dun have any issue

Perhaps u could search up on it...

Btw....nice truck.....

Some guys here also run the MFU with Futaba 2,4 gHz.. The problems lies in the digital trim of the TX´s as the (lousy) MFU is designed to work with the ratchet-type trimmers.. Very annoying..

I think some of the Spektrum 2,4´s come with ratchet-trims, don´t they?

Anyway, a Futaba F-14 or 16 are also great TX´s, and usually works flawlessly without interference, at least, that´s my experience..

See Scott, you SHOULD have purchased Servonaut from the start. B)

Anyway, you have chosen some interesting colours for this one, and i like them a lot.. :)

Cheers.

Michael

Some guys here also run the MFU with Futaba 2,4 gHz.. The problems lies in the digital trim of the TX´s as the (lousy) MFU is designed to work with the ratchet-type trimmers.. Very annoying..

I think some of the Spektrum 2,4´s come with ratchet-trims, don´t they?

Anyway, a Futaba F-14 or 16 are also great TX´s, and usually works flawlessly without interference, at least, that´s my experience..

See Scott, you SHOULD have purchased Servonaut from the start. B)

Anyway, you have chosen some interesting colours for this one, and i like them a lot.. :)

Cheers.

Michael

HAha... well servonaut may be in the next truck... I really wanted to see what Tamiya had to offer with this one.

My Transmitter is the Futaba 4YF, and it does have the ratchet type trim levers. I'm probably going to just have to get a new FM radio for this one, and use the 2.4 for one of my Trail trucks.

The colors? Well yes, I would have normally gone with a yellow/orange/red to go with the gunmetal. But this time I wanted to do something different. I also look at it and think, "Interesting...", and it's growing on me because it really is so different. Should look really great with some decals and all the chrome work on it!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Well, if you DO have the ratchet-type levers, it should only be a matter of setup on your MFU, which also can prove a bit annoying sometimes. :( Lots of guys here have experienced troubles with their MFU´s and quite often, it turns out that a simple re-calibration is the trick :) Sometimes, also the selector-switch on the MFU control-panel is in a wrong position, either from handling the car, or simply having pushed the switch by accident..

Also, you cannot always trust the channel-description in the manual, (using the stickers for the cables), but have to make you own setup to match the radio you use. B)

About the colours, i really think that turqoise-thing goes well with the gunmetal, but i would have chosen another design, as the entire sleeper in that colour makes the sleper look very "boxy" along with the rest of the shell, which isn´t exactly the way you would describe the Knight from the beginning, being very aerodynamic.. Sorry. ;)

I think the "normal" scheme where the sticker-stripes had been replaced with the turqoise would have looked smashing!! Especially along with the roof and fender-details in the same colour. B)

Anyway, I hope you get your MFU up and running.. And if not, just bin it, and get some new stuff for the truck. , hee-hee. ;)

All the best..

Michael

Well, if you DO have the ratchet-type levers, it should only be a matter of setup on your MFU, which also can prove a bit annoying sometimes. :( Lots of guys here have experienced troubles with their MFU´s and quite often, it turns out that a simple re-calibration is the trick :( Sometimes, also the selector-switch on the MFU control-panel is in a wrong position, either from handling the car, or simply having pushed the switch by accident..

Also, you cannot always trust the channel-description in the manual, (using the stickers for the cables), but have to make you own setup to match the radio you use. :D

About the colours, i really think that turqoise-thing goes well with the gunmetal, but i would have chosen another design, as the entire sleeper in that colour makes the sleper look very "boxy" along with the rest of the shell, which isn´t exactly the way you would describe the Knight from the beginning, being very aerodynamic.. Sorry. ;)

I think the "normal" scheme where the sticker-stripes had been replaced with the turqoise would have looked smashing!! Especially along with the roof and fender-details in the same colour. :)

Anyway, I hope you get your MFU up and running.. And if not, just bin it, and get some new stuff for the truck. , hee-hee. ;)

All the best..

Michael

After reading up a bit on the Futaba 4YF 2.4ghz, it appears the trims are indeed digital even if they have the ratchet type settings. Oh, well, will just order up an FM system.

As far as the cab paint design, I just followed some of the body lines, and I think it turned out ok. I can picture what you are describing, and that would have looked really nice as well.

Will have to see how it looks once all "Chromed" up, and with some extra details...

Now to do some body prep for a clearcoat while I have to wait for a new radio to arrive.

Cheers,

Skottoman