Sign in to follow this  
bugone

My Monster Beetle QD - with a twist...

I got a Monster Beetle Quick Drive for Christmas.

It was fun for driving around the house, but in the great outdoors, it seriously lacked grunt.

I've also got a proper Monster Beetle that I've been adding a few upgrades to, however it appears to be a bit delicate - and will be more of shelf decoration. So instead, the Quick Drive is getting the mental OTT hopups. :)

So, how fast can a QD go? I've seen the brushless conversions. They seem pretty quick. Are they using the original gearbox and a small sized motor?

Anyhoo, I decided to go a different route. I've done a full electrics conversion, added a Mad Bull gearbox, and a 12x2T motor. I also wanted to keep the battery where the original went, and still have the flap open and lock closed. It took quite a lot of modification to the chassis to make it all work, but it all fits pretty well now and looks quite clean.

Baja%20Quick%20Drive%201.jpgBaja%20Quick%20Drive%202.jpgBaja%20Quick%20Drive%203.jpgBaja%20Quick%20Drive%204.jpgBaja%20Quick%20Drive%205.jpgBaja%20Quick%20Drive%206.jpg

Nice conversion bugone!! :) I like it a lot, even if it is a bit wide in the rear. Does it pull wheelies with that gearbox? .These cars are great fun but they do lack power. I did a brushless conversion on mine but it was a bit messy, would have tidied it up over time but it got stolen. :)

Nice conversion bugone!! :) I like it a lot, even if it is a bit wide in the rear. Does it pull wheelies with that gearbox? .These cars are great fun but they do lack power. I did a brushless conversion on mine but it was a bit messy, would have tidied it up over time but it got stolen. :)

I'm still waiting for the ESC to turn up in the post. :)

That sucks about your QD. Was your vids and thread that inspired my conversion.

I did toy with the idea of a lunchbox gearbox but decided it was too wide, so I used the qd gearbox with a small ezrun brushless combo which was a very reasonable price, probably cheaper than a new motor and esc. I think it was around £40 :)

I am liking your 1/1 baja as well, had one as my first car many years ago. Had a few beetles since but still got fond memories of that car.

Hope your esc comes soon. :)

Edit to add, the qd is almost indestructible and it has the two speed gearbox, I fitted mine with bearings and it handled the brushless motor no probs, build thread is in my sig. :)

Making the gearbox fit was a bit of a challenge. The pivot joint is wider. It took a lot of reshaping to make it go together clearly so the battery flap hinge still met. It's a bit longer, so the suspension wouldn't go through the original chassis mounts. I had to fabricate something to move the holes back a bit. If I re do it, it will move the mounts up a centimetre so the rear sits a little lower.

I'm not sure if it will wheelie like yours did. The wheels are set back further, and the weight is well forward. Will have to see.

Also I've done some more mods to the full size monster that I'll have to update.

I used to have a mad bull, they are also pretty indestructible, I only ever had a silver can in it, yours is gonna shift with a 12T ;)

Did you paint all your wheels white? looks good.

I have another qd beetle with the box but it all works and it would be a shame to modify it, the one I modified wasn't working when I got it so was just glad to get it running again. It was my most driven car, great fun :D

Do you attend the bug jams in your 1/1? thats where my qd got stolen, someone on a bmx just picked it up and cycled off, it was so busy there I didn't have a hope of seeing it again. :lol:

I did something similar to this with a QD Clod, but I used a Grasshopper gearbox. I like the way you have mounted the battery, looks much better than on mine, which is cable-tied to the top electronics cover, as I put a 9.6v battery in the battery compartment for the LED's... may have to mod mine in a similar way now!

I was at bugjam 2010. My car was in featured in the bugjam 2011 logo, from a photo of it the year before.

I was at bugjam 2010. My car was in featured in the bugjam 2011 logo, from a photo of it the year before.

I was at that bugjam ;) had a great weekend apart from losing the little beetle. Spent most of the weekend sitting on the roofrack of my 1/1 bug. :P

I was at that bugjam ;) had a great weekend apart from losing the little beetle. Spent most of the weekend sitting on the roofrack of my 1/1 bug. :P

I had a cosy teardrop and awning to sleep in. Just as well as the missus was heavily pregnant!

Bug%20Jam%20014.jpg

My son is now old enough to drive an RC car of his own, so I've decided to give him the QD.

After numerous iterations, I was finally running a 6.5T brushless 540 motor, with a 120amp ESC in it through the madbull gearbox. It absolutely flew. You could wheelie at virtually any speed.

Beetle%20QD%20Brushless%20011.jpg

It was running great (as you can see from the state of the paintwork below!), but it's a bit wild for a 2 year old!

So, I've put all of the QD electrics back in, and put the QD gearbox and motor back on - so it's now pretty much back to stock. I've put smaller tyres on it too, to try to slow it down even more, and added big foam bumpers while he's still getting the hang of the controls and driving it full on into kerbs. :wacko:

There is one interesting thing that I've found out however. Then standard QD electronics work perfectly with a 7.2v battery! It still runs as fast as it did with the AA's in, and is going to be a darn sight easier to charge. :)

MonsterQDStandard.jpg

• Like 2

Took my son out with the QD for a blast in the mud. It handled it pretty well.

QDMud1.jpg

QDMud2.jpg

QDMud3.jpg

QDMud4.jpg

The QD design kept all the electronics dry. Had to completely strip it to get it clean though.

• Like 7

I realised that my son has had the Monster Beetle QD for 3 years now without destroying it, so I thought it was time to upgrade him. I've upgraded him to silver can, added LiPo, replaced the shocks with proper air shocks and better tyres. It now shifts!

2016%20MB%20and%20QD%201.jpg#

2016%20MB%20and%20QD%202.jpg