jeekelemental

Tamiya Compatibility Chart For LiPo Packs

I guess that the proper section could be "All things electric..." but I want to keep it more visible as possible.
I'm going to switch to LiPo batteries and my only doubt concerns sizes because surfing the web I noticed that not all round edges batteries fit Tamiya cars.
What about a Tamiya compatibility chart for LiPo packs?
  • Like 1

I do not know about a chart, but i can tell you which one fits in most cars which the RC Plus python car 7,4v 2S hardcase stickpacks as they are identical in size with your average 7,2v NimH battery.

They fit in my Top Force, my TA04 TRF, did fit in the Manta Ray and they even fit in my Hornet. Only for the Avante 2001 (and probably also for the Avante/Egress) i needed to make a small mod (move one post 2mm forward in carline).

This is a great idea.

all I have managed to find in the UK is this one...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7.4v-20c-lipo/rc-car-products/366384

The CORE RC lipo battery range is designed to provide low cost racing or RTR fun with all the advantages of lipo battery technology. These rounded batteries are an ideal replacement for older technology 7.2v Nimh and NiCads fitting into most RTR and sport vehicles alike.

Specification;

Voltage: 7.4V
Capacity: 4000mAh
Current Rating: 20C
Case Type: Solid Plastic, round LiPo case.
Dimensions: 134 x 45.7 x 23.7mm
Plug: Deans Ultra Plug for extreme high current load.
Balance Plug: JST-XH Balance type plug

I am about to order one for my 959. I believe that the length is the main issue with Lipo's. Most of them seem to be 138mm long but the old batteries were 134mm. Theoretically this one should fit.

Would be interested in knowing if anybody has tried this battery and whether it does fit.

I'll get the ball rolling:

4000.2S.30HC Turnigy 4000mAh 2S 30C hardcase pack (134x44x22mm) definitely fits:

Wild One

Stadium Thunder

Dyna Blaster

F350 (in between chassis rails)

If we can get enough data, I could put a table up my website, or we could create a googledocs spreadsheet...

I can confirm this one fits the Avante 2011 & Boomerang (mine's an OG Boomer, not a re-re, but that shouldn't matter):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19692__Turnigy_nano_tech_4200mah_2S2P_40_80C_Hardcase_Lipo_Pack.html

and should thus fit most if not all places a regular stick pack would.

I have four of these and unfortunately they do not fit oval shaped battery compartments like those on the M03 and monster racer.

I am using hyperion classic packs (20c 4000mah).

http://www.hyperion-world.com/products/product/HP-SW20-4000CP-2S

They are a tight fit in the wild one and hornet, but are comfortable in my tractor trucks, Juggernaut, TXT-1, F104, lunchbox, M03 etc. I would say the ORV chassis but I run washers on the battery caps for all of those.

I am also using Intellect Power IP2500 round packs, but these are a little less forgiving than the hyperions posted above.

I also have other square packs for higher discharge demanding rc's

My Core RC 7.4 volt hard-case Lipo arrived yesterday...http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7.4v-20c-lipo/rc-car-products/366384

It is a perfect fit for my 959 which has the tightest old-school battery compartment going.

Cheap, nicely made and exactly the same proportions as an old school 7.2nimh. It is only 20/40c but for a vintage car that is more than enough IMHO.

Finally I have found the perfect Lipo!

My Core RC 7.4 volt hard-case Lipo arrived yesterday...http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7.4v-20c-lipo/rc-car-products/366384

It is a perfect fit for my 959 which has the tightest old-school battery compartment going.

Cheap, nicely made and exactly the same proportions as an old school 7.2nimh. It is only 20/40c but for a vintage car that is more than enough IMHO.

Finally I have found the perfect Lipo!

This is exactly the same as my RC Plus that i mentioned except for the label so i guess they are the same make. Mine fitted my TA01 bathtub which is also extremely tight.

This is exactly the same as my RC Plus that i mentioned except for the label so i guess they are the same make. Mine fitted my TA01 bathtub which is also extremely tight.

Probably is.. there seems to be a lot of rebadging in the battery / esc world.

I have four of these and unfortunately they do not fit oval shaped battery compartments like those on the M03 and monster racer.

I am using hyperion classic packs (20c 4000mah).

http://www.hyperion-world.com/products/product/HP-SW20-4000CP-2S

They are a tight fit in the wild one and hornet, but are comfortable in my tractor trucks, Juggernaut, TXT-1, F104, lunchbox, M03 etc. I would say the ORV chassis but I run washers on the battery caps for all of those.

I am also using Intellect Power IP2500 round packs, but these are a little less forgiving than the hyperions posted above.

I also have other square packs for higher discharge demanding rc's

Can you please take some pictures of the end of the Hyperion 20C 4000mAH Classic battery pack so that I can see how the thick red and black wires exit, I am basically wanting to know whether the 2 thick wires exit side by side (horizontal) or (as on most other packs it seems) vertically with e.g. red wire on top and black wire underneath. This is because I will be trying to fit it to a Tamiya Frog. Pictures would be very welcome.

Best Regards,

Alistair G.

Great idea a chart would really help so we can look up the chassis then see what options we have as it is a pain checking through measurements online and trying to work out what will fit. I have a few turnigy 2s 5800 packs and they will fit in my dt02 my tt-01 and my ta05 and my lunchbox with minor mods. They also fit in my hornet/ grasshopper with a bit of a push just three small holes needed for the leads. more info to follow as I will try them in a few other chassis later. I have some other batteries to confirm chassis too.

Basically the 3300 Turnigy Fits everything without any mods.

The 5000 hardcases Fit alot of the models without the Rounded battery holders.

Two 5000 and three 3300 for my soon to be 17 Models.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29001__Turnigy_5000mAh_2S1P_20C_hardcase_pack_ROAR_APPROVED_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=5000mah hardcase 2s

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9499__Turnigy_3300mAh_2S_30C_Lipo_Pack.html?strSearch=3300ma 2

It is indeed and it fits well... Not had any issues yet bit those worried about the potential safety issue use a hard case...

I would be careful with those soft packs. All it takes is a slight leak and boom a fire when running or even worse when charging 😮. I do see the attraction, maybe a thick tape for extra protection. The sides look the most vulnerable. How easily do they fit in to the curved stick pack only type chassis like the m03 or dt01?

• Like 1

A hard pack is just a soft cell in a 2mm thick plastic shell.. The protection offered but the tunnel type curved tamiya battery holders is far superior to a hard case...

It also amazes me that cars seam to have soft case worries where as helicopters, planes, boats and quad owners don't seam as worried..

Back on point care with lipo batteries is always advised..

The wild willy has the smallest of battery locations of my models and they fit.. Just..

They are fine in my mo5 and the larger hard case fits in my dt02

have trunigy shorty lipo's will fit grasshoppers and most others that don't have rounded battery compartment with just a block of foam to pack battery in :)

I know the chassis itself gives a lot of protection but the ends of the pack are exposed a lot. Also runing a car through trees and branches off road and having multiple crashes and rill overs when bashing is not the same as flying through thin air.

For some applications soft packs are fine if the right precautions and care are taken otherapplications are not so much.

How many people on here have had a lipo fire in there car with either a soft or hard pack ??

Would be interesting to know.. Caution is always good but I'm happy to take the chance

it isn't likely to happen in the car when the damage happens but more likely when charging afterwards. It only takes a tiny puncture.

I guess you could always give your packs a close visual before charging and before running them? Maybe just some thick tape would be enough?

If my car caught fire I could live with it but if my house burnt down whilst charging that would be a bit harder to swallow. There is def a reason car pack are hard-case. I guess it depends what kind of bashing you do and what kind of protection your chassis offers. A TT-01 for example would be fine but a fighter buggy with the pack more exposed I wouldn't like to try without mods.

I charge in a metal tin and always check my batteries after.. I have had my hard cases crack before.. I do add a layer of insulation tape round the soft packs if they start to show signs of wear..

I wonder how many incidences of lipo fire have been reported world wide...

Maybe your right. I guess using a better quality pack like a turnigy helps. Maybe i'll try a few soft case packs with some caution. It will definately open up options for more regular bashing. Are there any 3s sift packs that might squeeze in my dual hunter chassis?