XV Pilot

A Manta Ray at last!

This is a model I have been wanting to add to my collection for a while now. Or perhaps I should say re-add, because I had one back in the '90s, which I sold to help fund a trip abroad. I don't regret the sale - if I had not made the journey, I would not have met my wife, would not have the career I currently enjoy, and would probably not have the RC collection I have today. Nonetheless, I think the time has come for a DF01 to once again grace my model shelf.

The first DF01 I owned came to me as a bit of a basket case, having been run over by a truck. I did what I could to rescue it, but with a limited student budget, it was never the vehicle I wanted it to be. However this time around, with a good donor vehicle and a decent budget, I reckon I'll be able to do it right.

This is what I started with:

20140520_140905_zps27opi0d6.jpg

20140520_140929_zpszwyxawzp.jpg

It is in good condition, and appears to have only had light running. There are the usual light scratches to the underside of the tub and lower suspension arms, but no other damage. A good start!

• Like 2

Looks like it's it very nice condition. Much better than the one I started with (you don't wanna know where that went).

What the further plan - shelfer, decent runner or mad hop ups?

^_^

The project is going to have two phases. The first will involve a full strip and rebuild, with a few choice upgrades for the sake of reliable running. The second will focus on the aesthetics, with a new shell and wheels, and perhaps a bit of bling. I am aiming to have Phase 1 finished in time for the A1 Revival meeting in July.

With the vintage theme of the A1 meeting in mind, I am going for a stock look for Phase 1. This was aided by a workmate of mine, who is also doing a DF01 rebuild for the A1 meeting. He is putting a Blazing Star shell on his, and was kind enough to give me the Manta Ray shell from his donor car.

20140522_220141_zpsiyysfimj.jpg

The shell has a few minor cracks and paint blemishes, and the decals are poorly applied. However it has been sprayed in box art silver, same as the wing that came with my chassis, and is certainly not past saving. Methinks it will do nicely for the A1 meeting.

As with any such project, the first step was to pull everything apart and give it a good cleaning. I was pleased to find the model had been carefully assembled by its previous owner, with no stripped threads, so it looks like I won't need to replace any plastics.

Reassembly then proceeded with new rubber sealed bearings courtesy of RCBearings.co.uk.

DSC03255_zpsudfjq0ev.jpg

DSC03260_zps0ycyll38.jpg

DSC03266_zpsyggtset9.jpg

Okay, maybe I was a bit quick with my assessment. There is one piece of plastic that needs replacement - the motor mount. One of its "legs" had cracked off. A good opportunity to fit an upgrade:

DSC03262_zpsyy6mnivw.jpg

While I know the preferred option is a one-piece Pargu-style mount, I know from experience that items posted from Korea take ages to get here, if they arrive at all. (I am still waiting for a set of DT02 turnbuckles I ordered in March.) So I ordered a GPM one from Fusion Hobbies, which arrived the next day. Assembled with good quality threadlock, it should do the job well enough.

• Like 1

With the alloy motor mount assembled, the new motor was installed. I chose a 27T Etronix unit as I have used these successfully in many other models.

DSC03265_zpsnfauofxe.jpg

This was fitted with a hardened steel pinion from RW Racing. This should mesh well with the all-plastic gearset, which I have read has better wear characteristics than the stock plastic and aluminium set.

Steering duty is the responsibility of a waterproof, ballraced Alturn servo. I haven't used one of these before, but I have read good things about them, so I thought it worth a punt.

DSC03268_zpsgouvs7fn.jpg

Which brings us to where the project is so far. The main chassis is together. I have fitted the stock propshaft for now, but I am hoping to replace this with a hop-up soon.

DSC03270_zpsa0brc0k9.jpg

Suspension will be added soon too, hopefully with turnbuckle upper arms rather than the stock plastic ones.

Will update when there is more progress to report.

Looks good. I just restord a Terra Conqueror. These are excellent buggies.

A quick question for those in the know: how bad is the stock DF01 propshaft?

Obviously it is rather thin and bendy, and does not look suited to powerful motors, but in your collective wisdom, do you think it would be okay for use with a 27T, or is it a good idea to upgrade anyway?

The wire propshaft will rattle around a bit with fast motors, but for anything up to sport tuned it will do the job quite happily. Just check its true and straight before reassembly.

I've used the multipiece motor mounts on most of my TA01/02/DF-01 rebuilds and not had any issues with them - as you say a good dollop of threadlock and they're secure. As you should be pulling the motor out periodically to check the pinion and spur its not difficult to check the motor mount at the same time.

What size pinion are you planning to use ? - with a 27T motor you probably want to stick to the kit sizing.

Thanks for the responses. I fitted an 18T pinion, simply because that is what I had to hand. Phase 2 will involve fitting standard size buggy wheels, which are a bit bigger than stock, so a smaller pinion should even things out. Time will tell.

As for the propshaft, thanks for the suggestion, but I had an offer of a genuine Tamiya one from a fellow TC member. If the offer still stands, methinks I will go for that, as there is no blue anodising to get scratched. Does anyone know if the Tamiya hop up shaft will work with the stock drive cups?

Thanks for the responses. I fitted an 18T pinion, simply because that is what I had to hand. Phase 2 will involve fitting standard size buggy wheels, which are a bit bigger than stock, so a smaller pinion should even things out. Time will tell.

As for the propshaft, thanks for the suggestion, but I had an offer of a genuine Tamiya one from a fellow TC member. If the offer still stands, methinks I will go for that, as there is no blue anodising to get scratched. Does anyone know if the Tamiya hop up shaft will work with the stock drive cups?

As far as I know, the Tamiya hop up shaft comes with compatible cups, it doesn't fit to the standard cups.

Prop joints are quite different (sorry about the poor quality image) :

Grotefoto-MVPDZ8FC.jpg

GPM also makes a nice item by the way :

Fortuna Racing TA01 prop shaft

I only see the dogbone style around, I prefer the modified version myself :

Grotefoto-RGSCCSVL.jpg

They have a straight end and and sleeve (a bit like the Tamiya hop up).

I've seen a dogbone style flip out of and damage the prop joint due to the extreme flex a plastic chassis can have.

Thanks for the propshaft info. I think I will try the standard one for a bit, and add an upgrade if required further down the line.

In the meantime, here is this evening's progress:

20140529_231412_zpshfqgf2lq.jpg

The suspension arms and hubs are attached, which gave me the opportunity to add a few more little upgrades.

The stock plastic fixed length upper arms have been replaced with hardened steel turnbuckles, as have the steering tie rods.

The stock red front hubs have been replaced with the stronger black ones as used on the Humvee kit.

The front hubs have been attached using lightweight kingpins rather than the stock stepped screws.

The stock metal/plastic dogbones have been replaced with all-steel items as used on the WR01 truck chassis.

The axles ride in more rubber-sealed bearings from RCBearings.co.uk.

Did a bit more work on this one today:

20140531_180138_zpswdr7u6qk.jpg

20140531_180201_zps06pi09w3.jpg

The shocks have been rebuilt with new seals and fresh oil. One of the internal spacers had been omitted from one of the front shocks by the original builder, so this was a good opportunity to put it back where it should be.

The tyres have been given a good soaking in Simoniz tyre dressing, and have regained much of their suppleness. They still have a bit of useful tread on them, so I might run them, or I might keep them for display and get a set of generic rims and Fastrax Turf Rippers for running. Still to decide that one, but am strongly leaning towards the idea of a second set of runner wheels/tyres.

If I do go for a set of generic wheels and FTRs, I am in two minds as to what to go for up front. One of the things that catches my eye about the Manta Ray and a few other Tamiya buggies of its era is the width of the front wheels - big and broad, same as the rear. However the lightweight wheels listed in the manual as hop-ups follow the usual arrangement of wide rears and narrower fronts.

So, shall I go for two pairs of generic buggy rears for everyday running, as homage to the stock arrangement, or shall I get a pair of rears and a pair of fronts, as per normal practice, since the precedent has been set by the official hop-up listing? What do y'all think?

• Like 2

Did a bit more work on this one today:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The shocks have been rebuilt with new seals and fresh oil. One of the internal spacers had been omitted from one of the front shocks by the original builder, so this was a good opportunity to put it back where it should be.

The tyres have been given a good soaking in Simoniz tyre dressing, and have regained much of their suppleness. They still have a bit of useful tread on them, so I might run them, or I might keep them for display and get a set of generic rims and Fastrax Turf Rippers for running. Still to decide that one, but am strongly leaning towards the idea of a second set of runner wheels/tyres.

If I do go for a set of generic wheels and FTRs, I am in two minds as to what to go for up front. One of the things that catches my eye about the Manta Ray and a few other Tamiya buggies of its era is the width of the front wheels - big and broad, same as the rear. However the lightweight wheels listed in the manual as hop-ups follow the usual arrangement of wide rears and narrower fronts.

So, shall I go for two pairs of generic buggy rears for everyday running, as homage to the stock arrangement, or shall I get a pair of rears and a pair of fronts, as per normal practice, since the precedent has been set by the official hop-up listing? What do y'all think?

I love this chassis, it looks great even without a body :)

That's looking lovely. Bring back rose tributes memories as the Manta Ray was my first Tamiya kit build :)

As for tyres I think keep the originals for display and go with the upgraded look (narrow front, wide rears) for running.

Thanks for the kind comments. I think wide rears and narrow fronts will be the way forward for my runner wheels/tyres.

Today I did some work on the shell, repairing minor cracks and trying to sort out the paint issues. It is far from perfect, but is a considerable improvement over how it was.

20140531_183111_zpsgbiyohr1.jpg

20140531_183130_zpshem5ttv1.jpg

20140531_183148_zpsmxgz45ld.jpg

I like the way it looks, a bit like a sleeper, outwardly stock, with just a glimpse of blue anodising on the turnbuckles to hint at further upgrades beneath the shell.

Nice, nice, very nice. :)

Those turnbuckles are just right, I was always tempted to put the rear dampers of my DT02ms on the Manta,

the same mix of metal and blue that would befit the Rays bodycolours.

Made a bit more progress today:

20140603_182825_zpsihgot2wf.jpg

The ESC arrived in the post, and has been installed. Not the neatest wiring installation, but it works. I am strongly considering cutting off the motor plugs and soldering the ESC wires straight to the motor, both for efficiency and neatness.

With the ESC in place, it is a runner, so I took it for a test run in the street outside. This showed two things: the stock propshaft runs straight and true, so I think I will stick with it for now. However the steering is very sloppy, especially the right front, so I think a ballraced steering rack would be a worthwhile addition.

It kind of works, but I didnt really got rid of the sloppiness.

The bearings dont fit tight enough. (Maybe a drop of bearing glue can solve that)

btw there are two TA steering kits, the one you find most is for the TF models.

this should be the right one GPM_DF1048-xx (xx is colour)

DSC01932.jpg

DSC01935.jpg

replacing the plastic ballconnectors for the trf ones probably will workout better.

DSC01590.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the propshaft info. I think I will try the standard one for a bit, and add an upgrade if required further down the line.

You want to get rid of the original Manta prop shaft as soon as possible, trust me. With a little bit of power, it will start bending and eventually ruin more than the cost of a GPM version. One of the first things i did change on mine.

You want to get rid of the original Manta prop shaft as soon as possible, trust me. With a little bit of power, it will start bending and eventually ruin more than the cost of a GPM version. One of the first things i did change on mine.

Aye, if I was planning a power upgrade, I would want a propshaft upgrade too. However the stock one seems fine with the 27t motor I am using. I will keep an eye on it though, and upgrade if it shows any signs of trouble.