BigSteve

DT-03 Neo Fighter Buggy.

I'm considering fitting a 20 turn motor in my dt-03 and was wondering what current stock parts I should consider changing for hop up parts. The gearbox looks quite sturdy but as ever your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Steve.

Ultimately upgrade to universals, but wait for the stock plastic cups and dog bones to wear out

Steve, if your kit is really stock, first thing is to replace the bushings with 1150 ball bearings (14 pcs). Then you need to get rid of the aluminum pinion and fit a steel one. Beware that the traxxas mod 0.8 (32dp) pinions don't match well.

Does your kit comprise oil shocks? Some of the DT-03 Neo Fighter pics, I have seen shows the chassis fitted with poor friction shocks.

Steve, if your kit is really stock, first thing is to replace the bushings with 1150 ball bearings (14 pcs). Then you need to get rid of the aluminum pinion and fit a steel one. Beware that the traxxas mod 0.8 pinions don't match well.

Does your kit comprise oil shocks? Some of the DT-03 Neo Fighter pics, I have seen shows the chassis fitted with poor friction shocks.

Hi it has oil dampers and I fitted bearings throughout when I built it. I also fitted the alloy servo mount and the alloy gearbox bridge set.

Steve.

My opinion:

- The DT-02/DT-03 hybrid gearbox is able to withstand even more extreme motors. Parts needed: Steel pinion (module 0.8, 17T) and ball bearings.

- Forget about low turn brushed motors when you go offroad. They will overheat due to bad air flow and not being able to gear the motor accordingly on that gearbox.

- Brushless motors down to 12 turns / 3500 kV are the way to go with the DT-02/DT-03 gearbox. No heat problems with them even offroad.

- The plastic drivecups and driveshafts are surprisingly strong and will last a longer while than expected. They use different locking mechanisms to the diff gears and thus the gears need to be replaced (#50602) once upgrading to metal driveshafts and cups. OR you use #53790 DF-02/TT-02 metal drive cups with the stock diff gears, but I have no idea about their strength, but the black coating looks promising as a sign of hardening. But don't nail me down on that, I haven't tested them yet.
- Expect the #9805368 DT-02 hop-up metal differential outdrives to wear down fast. There are hardened steel outdrives (#53218) available, which last longer and are generally seen as better quality.

- I haven't tested the hop-up #53791 DF-02/DT-02/DT-03 universal driveshafts yet, but I would only use them together with the hardened steel outdrives. I would only go for genuine Tamiya universals, those from some other manufacturers have been reported being made of soft material, e.g. aluminium or weaker grade steel.

My opinion:

- The DT-02/DT-03 hybrid gearbox is able to withstand even more extreme motors. Parts needed: Steel pinion (module 0.8, 17T) and ball bearings.

- Forget about low turn brushed motors when you go offroad. They will overheat due to bad air flow and not being able to gear the motor accordingly on that gearbox.

- Brushless motors down to 12 turns / 3500 kV are the way to go with the DT-02/DT-03 gearbox. No heat problems with them even offroad.

- The plastic drivecups and driveshafts are surprisingly strong and will last a longer while than expected. They use different locking mechanisms to the diff gears and thus the gears need to be replaced (#50602) once upgrading to metal driveshafts and cups. OR you use #53790 DF-02/TT-02 metal drive cups with the stock diff gears, but I have no idea about their strength, but the black coating looks promising as a sign of hardening.

- Expect the #9805368 DT-02 hop-up metal differential outdrives to wear down fast. There are hardened steel outdrives available, which last better and are generally seen as better quality.

- I haven't tested the hop-up #53791 DF-02/DT-02/DT-03 universal driveshafts yet, but I would only use them together with the hardened steel outdrives. I would only go for genuine Tamiya universals, those from some other manufacturers have been reported being made of soft material, e.g. aluminium or weaker grade steel.

Hi Greg what's the DP equivalent of 0.8 mod. I'm looking to order some RW Racing pinions.

Steve.

32dp should work as an equivalent to module 0.8, as already reported on lots of other places on the forum. :) As long as these aren't made by Traxxas.

Cheers

For everything you need to know about the DT03 and its hop ups please see my build thread.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72719#entry533723

For my review on The RC Racer web site .....

http://www.thercracer.com/2014/05/tamiya-dt03-trf-race-tips-and-review.html

for any questions or queries ................................ I'm yer daddy !!!! :P

DSC_03691_zps075237ec.jpg

DSC_03601_zps7809871b.jpg

• Like 1

As long as these aren't made by Traxxas.

What's different about these, Greg?

Got one in my Grasshopper but that sounds like a coffee grinder anyway.

Well, Traxxas 32dp pinions have been repeatedly reported on these forums of not being truely compatible to module 0.8. Thus they're known as not meshing right with Tamiya 2WD buggys and occasionally producing a grinding sound, which means excessive gear wear or strain on the motor. That's all I know. I haven't tried them by myself, since I use Carson steel pinions.

Okay, thanks. Guess I haven't read everything on the subject, I'll look into it.

I usually go for Robinsons but decided otherwise on this occasion until I get a diametrical hex driver.

Weird thing - Traxxas is dp and has a metric scrub and vice versa with Robinson.

:rolleyes:

One would expect any gear to be subject to a certain dimensional standard...

I have a Traxxas 32dp pinion in my Wraith as the gears were upgraded by the previous owner... it sounds like a Panzer IV charging through the woods :D

Guys, How you think the DT-03 will do with a 17.5T brushless? I was planning to run mine in the stock class at my local track. I love this buggy. I also have 2 DN-01s :)

Guys, How you think the DT-03 will do with a 17.5T brushless? I was planning to run mine in the stock class at my local track. I love this buggy. I also have 2 DN-01s :)

I run mine with a 17.5 and its fine, the gearing seems to be pretty good. The car is quite light and I enjoy running it on grass and carpet, although I have not raced it on Astro.

• Like 1

I ran a 10.5 in my super Hop'd Up TRF DT03 and it handled it no problem.

A 17.5 will easily be ok.

Top tip to anybody out there, always listen to the racers B)

the cups you are referring to are called out-drives.

No one as far as I know make any but Tamiya,

You will find them in the Desert Gator and Sand Viper kits, alternatively you could get a Tamiya limited slip ball diff. They come with that (do not buy the 3Racing nasty thing as its not limited slip)

I use 3Racing UJ's. never had any problems with them.

Super Gripper, I have a question for you in regards to the ESC that comes with the kit. Can I use any 17.5T sensored motor or only Tamiya ones? Also I can not find in the manual if I can run Lipo batteries with it. Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance. I will post pics of my buggy later on :)

hello chap,

yes you can run/use any make of brushless motor with the Tamiya kit esc. I would recommend you only use a motor which is sensored. ( I believe the esc only supports a sensored motor anyway)

The kit Tamiya esc does not support lipo, it was made for Tamiya's fascination with life batteries. However saying that it is safe to use with lipo in the life setting. Just be mindful that as soon as you see a slight drop off in power you stop the car and recharge.

The Hobbyking Trackstar sensored motors are very reasonable.

• Like 1

I agree with SteveU30 on that one.

I have an Turnigy Trackstar 8.5 and have found it to be good value for money, plenty pokey for the money. You can even buy them on eBay now :D

Thanks Guys, I was looking at the Speed Passion 17.5T sensored motors. I already have a couple of them

By the way, Super Gripper, your DT-03 inspired me to get one. I also have 2 DN-01s, 2 801Xs and a DB-01 waiting to build still in the box. Everyone at my track runs TLR, AE and Durango so I wanted to be difference and I have always liked Tamiyas. Part support is not that that great here in the US but I don't mind waiting for parts.