Sign in to follow this  
Brucie

Cant get easy off in the uk, what can i use ??

Hi there,

Yes another question about paint removal (on a Midnight Pumpkin shell) but the thing is there are plenty of suggestions of what to use and it seems that "easy off" is the dogs b#ll#cks but i have not been able to locate any in the uK.

Can someone give me some advice on what i can get in the uk that will work well on the removal of paint but not damage the detail on my Pumpkin shell.

Regards,

Brucie

brake fluid/hard paint brush/place shell in old painters rolling tray/scrub brake fluid on shell,give it a day to soak in,repeat every other day/give shell a wash in water after 3rd go/if paint still remains redo the brake fluid/it takes a bit of time but the results are great.

Thanks for that i will give it a go, even though i do have my reservations (does it not effect the shell in any way like making it brittle).

If anyone else has any other ideas how to strip an old pumpkin (with items purchased in the uk) please come forward and let me know.

You can get eazy off if you ask the right person. Who knows, someone here might have some just sitting in their kitchen, or on their hobby shelf, or on their Pajero. You never know who has some. Oh wait, I do.

Hi minijosh,

Ok i love the mad posting, and its great to know that this easy off is availible, but what i need to know is are you in the uk or not and if not is there any way i can get easy off into the uk ?, from someone who might just have some on his hobby shelf or Pajaero, LOL.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice T.C~Tamiya,

I have been reading a lot of postings that mention Mr Muscle and with the exception of a couple they all say "it dont do squat" not even softening the paint. Or is there a speciffic one that will work (like the easy off a few people have said if you use the odour free one it doesnt work)

Cheers

The Mr muscle oven cleaner you need is the foaming caustic / toxic kind with the big black cross on the back, it comes in an aerosol can, green with an orange lid.

It's great for general cleaning of R/C parts (don't leave it on rubber too long though) and it'll effectively remove some types of paint as well.

I tend to use it mainly for cleaning grime as I find a bucket of standard (not silicone) brake fluid is better for paint removal, some types of paint come off after a day in brake fluid but others need months and some refuse to shift at all with brake fluid or oven cleaner.

Yeah anything caustic would do the job, most oven cleaner, bar the hippie enviro stuff is caustic, so it would all work even if its not specifically easy off.

Chris

Cheers T.C~Tamiya

I'll pop out and give it a go mate, And see what kind of mess i can make probably with much annoyance to the wife, LOL

Cheers

I stripped a Scorcher shell (the yellow one in my showroom) on Tuesday in 1 hour!,.

How? ,. with caustic soda (very nasty stuff - so you NEED goggles + rubber gloves + long sleeve top to protect yourself)

I use 2 tubs (bought from Wilko's called Kleen-Off causic soda - £1.20 a tub) in 10 litres of water in a bucket - always add the soda to the water never the other way around! ,.. sat the rear of the body in the solution for 1/2 hour,. then used the green scouring side of a kitchen sponge to wipe the paint away,. then stuck the front half in and did the same.,.

I now do all my bodies like this, . the solution stays effective for a fair while so I try to do 2 or 3 at a time,. as long as you take prcautions you will be fine[:D]

stripped.jpg

Caustic soda's great for stripping paint from woodwork too and leaves the wood really clean, recently used it to strip 200 year old paint from some doors.

I've done a test with an old Striker body:

First removed the taped on logos:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...200491050_3.jpg

Second the Mr Muscle got most of the soft paint off

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...200491050_4.jpg

So Kleen off from Wilkinson £1.29 (Leeds) in 5 litres of water and a little bit of a scrub

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...200491050_5.jpg

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp...200491050_6.jpg

Wow got most of the orange paint off, I think the green paint is car spray :(

any ideas?

Re Tmalya Runner,

Hi there mate, I have had fun stripping my shell to but i had a bit more success that you seem to have had.

I used the Caustic soda (from Wilkinsons) in 10Ltrs of water and let half the shell soak for 45 mins then used a pan scrubber and it worked a treat, although i did have to repeat this a few times (stronger soloution next time) for the thickly painted areas. now my pumpkin is ready for its new look.

As for the orange paint on your shell mate i havent got a clue as this is the first restoration job i have undertaken so maybe someone else will reply to the posting and give you the answers your looking for, best of luck getting it sorted mate.

To All who were willing to help and advise.id="Comic Sans MS">id="green">id="size5">

Thank for sharing your knowledge and helping me and anyone else who reads this thread.id="size2">

[^][^][^]

Ovencleaner works fast and good.

I have some good experiances with that MrMuscle!

Be carefull to use a hard (plastic) brush, it can brake or damage some details.

Brakefluid works also but it takes days, even weeks.

If it contains silicon, clean with IPA (iso propyl alcohol) afterwards.

If you leave any brakefluid left on the shell, new paint will not stick!!!

Again, be carefull with that brush.

Grtz Dee

quote:
Originally posted by tamiya_runner

Wow got most of the orange paint off, I think the green paint is car spray
:(

any ideas?

id="quote">id="quote">On my Monster Beetle shell, I got most of the paint off with brake fluid, but the final bits were car paint and wouldn't shift. In the end I got some graffiti cleaner aerosol from Halfords, sprayed the shell and left it in a plastic bag for a couple of days, then the final bits of paint just dissolved and could be rinsed off. Something like that might do the trick for you on the last bits of paint.

Well you lot its great that people experience's have been shared.

I have now re-painted the Pumpkin and added a few decals and here is the finished result (my first atempt):-

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/LeeFor...ars/Pumpkin.jpg

I know its not a real minter but im using it as a runner so i'll probs end up stripping it again due to the abuse its getting and try a different colour scheme.

Also i have now got a first release Lunchbox (to be a runner also) which is about to get some TLC so im not sure how im going to make that look yet but with a bit of luck i'll do a better job of that that i did on the Pumpkin, we all have to start somewhere !!!

Regards

Brucie (UK)

i was gonna be asking hte same question, just to query though, will the same work with lexan shells or will it destroy the shell?