Share this model:
This a re-vamp of my Lunch Box 4x4x4 I built a couple of years ago. I've made new chassis rails for it. This was to accomodate using a new 4 wheel steering system. I used Hi-Lift parts for the steering, as the existing rear steering servo did not give much suspension movement before hitting the battery, and the front servo was nearly touching the motor contacts. The new steering is much more positive than the older steering. The rear axle has been replaced with a Hi-Lift item, the front one is still a TLT-1 item, as I'm waiting on a model shop to supply me with a new drive shaft so I can build up a new Hi-Lift axle for the front as well. I've also completely replaced the centre transmission. The new 'box is made of 3 pieces and is all aluminium, 2 gearbox sides and a centre spine to hold them both together. I used a thundershot diff gear for the final drive gear, a hotshot front gearbox idler, and a hornet spur gear. Its fitted with a 20T pinion to get the gear ratio as high as possible. The gearbox it replaced was made of 13 components, so reducing the part count to 3 has been a big improvement in the design. I've also made 2 new body mounts, 2 new shock towers, and a plastic radio tray to mount the speedo on. There isn't room for the RX on the radio tray, so this will be mounted on the rear of the gearbox casing in front of the battery. The other improvement is the use of standard Juggernaut II UJs on the outputs from the centre transmission. These replace custom made items which were attached with 3mm grub screws. (The custom made UJs were necessary as the older gearbox was a lot fatter at the bottom as there was no room for standard drive shafts.) The slider sections of the UJs are still my own custom items, but at least half of the UJs are now off the shelf items. I've also noticed that the new transmission seems smoother and quieter than the old one. The brass pins in the Jugg UJs have been replaced with my own hardened steel items to try and extend the useful life of the UJs. Looking forward now to putting a RX in this and trying it for the first time.