Status: New built
Share this model:
Well, as usual, it has taken me ages to actually get this car done. I originally bought a chassis sometime last summer during my recovery from back surgery as well as I think I pushed the button on the body set. The body is truly the only real NEW portion of this build, but the M05 chassis I got my hands on was really clean and came with the Sweep wheels and some sticky rubber.
If I am honest, the M05 was going to originally go under the used VW Golf Mk1 body it had come with, but I just couldn't get over how 'wrong' it looked at certain angles and the tuck the wheels had into the arches etc. I decided the best fix was to get the CRX body as I have always liked it more in real life than the Golf even though I have never owned either. I wouldn't really count my VW Cabriolet as it is a bit of a different animal to the true Golf and I have owned the CIVIC Hatchback brother to the CRX, but again, a different animal since it wasn't as lightweight and engineered for everything the CRX was done up for.
All that said, after plopping the body on the M05 chassis, still felt it a little wrong in places and then it hit me, I have an M02M chassis here, let me see how that looks and viola, it looked somehow better and more appropriate, so undertaking the obligatory changing of the guard with the steering and drive set ups, the M02M has become an M01M?? I guess and I also fiddled a bit with the track as I wanted the wheels and tires to be appropriately flush and tucked with the body, so some TGX wheel axles provided the extra thread length I needed on the freewheels and I will be installing some hard lock nuts on the drive axles as I don't know if I should do the same trick to the drive wheels or not. You guys tell me, perhaps that will be the better way and not the lock nuts. It sure would be nice if Tamiya made longer freewheel axle shafts without the dogbone cups, but thankfully they are hidden in the hubs.
Hope you guys like my non box art choice, always my favorite color of the first gen CRX was the blue with grey. Our own TamiyaManDan painted this shell up for me as I don't think I do well with the patience and skill needed to paint. He did leave the decals to me and I gotta tell you, for the relatively few decals there are for this model, it was a bigger nightmare than a Castrol Civic which I have also done the decals on!!!!! I also can tell you if you intend to build one, be careful with the cutting out of the decals and make sure your knife is as sharp as it ever will be for the absolutely crazy lines you have to cut out.
There are some 'hits' to Tamiya's instructions on this decal set too. It would have been a great help if Tamiya had provided a few notes to indicate which of all the windshield surrounds were to go on first then which ones layered over the others as that gave me a few fits as well as the fact that they are some of the W I D E S T windscreen surrounds that I have put on. Also, the red pinstripe lines are a bit finicky to say the least as they are to fit into a cove molded into the lexan as well as the fact that Tamiya printed some little off white '-' in between the bits where the door shut lines will line up so you could cut the full strip without breaking it up, but you better not have a colored car. I simply cut them into three separate sections to place them in there spots. The front and rear 'wraparound decals were better thought out, but you simply should put the Mugen kangi on first, then add the other pinstripe. Either way, when you are putting ANY of these decals on a dark colored car, any and all 'clear' parts of the decal will show up and perhaps even get some gunk onto the paint from their adhesive, so patience and tedious focus is required in the cutting and placement of these decals. I even cut the rear quarter windows trim fully out since I put a giant fingerprint in the middle of it while placing it and well, it wouldn't go away, so peel and cut and stick again.
Last note on the wheels, they are the Ballade type hit with what seems to be my signature move of a silver paint Sharpie to bring some life to the plastic. I will get to clipping those body posts off the front end and perhaps another day, I will find some more rear bodyposts for an M01 as these were the longest I had and as you can see, the body is not really held down with anything more than gravity.
Enjoy and comments always welcome