Status: New built
Share this model:
To all the Tamiya fans out there this is especially for the fans of the 1984 Tamiya fast attack vehicle..
This will be right up your street and hopefully give you some inspiration on completing your fav projects or push you in the direction for making a future purchase of this wonderful model.
To start this is an original fav from 1984 purchased on eBay as a near complete vintage kit unbuilt, purchased from a chap who spent a lengthy period obtaining the original parts over a few years. He decided to sell up, listed it on the net ,made an offer and a few days later ended up with a parcel full of parts . So we started this project on the basis of going far out and really showing off the full capability's of the airbrush. I wanted a worn and well used look with as much detail in the weathering as I could possibly achieve. Bespoke camo finish with the main body colours from the Tamiya acrylic paint range these being XF 13 JA green, XF 68 nato brown, XF 2 flat white and XF 59 desert yellow. Mixing theses colours and using my keen eye for what is a very excceptable and within keeping a custom paint scheme. The body has the Vallejo rust effect paint range added before the camo finish on top with the use of the humbrol masking liguid we replicated the chipped effect's showing the various rust patches coming through. At this point I must point out please zoom in on the chipped effect's as they look even better super close up. We wethered the vehicle with acrylic's and then shadowed with the airbrush creating sun scorched paint work, final stages was adding the Tamiya weathering powders to create the sand build up on the usual resesese. The vehicle was painted in bits then assembled for the maximum finish effect. The driver has a bespoke finish with the use of individual camo templates cut out with a scalpal from very thin card, then placed in different positions, reversed and overlapped to create the finish on the drivers overalls. I replaced most of the Tamiya cross head screws with hex fitting button head screws to add a more realistic look, I decided on not using the original decals as they would have ruined the overall finish as they are far to thick and shiny.... Would have bitten my hand off for a set of water decals! But I don't believe there out there....
On the electronics side of things it is fitted with the correct periods Acoms. I decided on not painting the wires and leaving them as they should be, at the end of the day it's a RC car so has to reflect that. The tyres are original and added powders to create the sand effect, at this stage I must say I totally recommend the use of the Tamiya weathering powders.... Superb and an incredible range of colours to choose from depending on your model. This was a very lengthy process but the secret to achieveing the correct and desired look is patience and plenty of it! total paint time between 70 and 80 hours, and yes my eyes were strained for sure so there resting now for at least the next few weeks.....😉
If you liked those pictures, you should see these...