Status: New built
Share this model:
Building a 2010 Sand Scorcher, I started playing around with an old TL01 chassis, some cheap E-bay Chinese wheels, some old Carson tires and the Sand Scorcher body and saw some potential. After checking some fine examples on this site and Pinterest, looking at other alternative Scorcher builds but also some nice real buggy's, I got enthusiastic , building my own version.
First of all, I had to shorten the chassis by 6mm to get the wheelbase correct for the body. The chassis is cut behind the battery position. I folded a G-shaped profile out of 1mm aluminum plate that overlaps the cut. the profile sits inside the chassis and is bolted in 4 positions to the chassis (so 8 bolts in total). I shortened the centre drive shaft so it still is 4 wheel drive.
In some town I visited, I came along this RC-shop that had this nice Parma V8 model in some back corner. I bought and build it with the idea of using it for my buggy build. And yes, I know, I mounted the air intake backwards. I did this deliberately because I wanted to have the characteristic butterfly valves to be still visible. The other way around, they would be hidden under the wing. And he, since this isn't a real engine, I don't think it will influence performance.
I wanted to keep the motor gage so I extended the Original one with some 6mm aluminum tubing, using 4mm steel rod inside for strength. Also, I had to cut out the rear bonnet to make the motor fit the body.
I decided I also wanted a large rear spoiler to make it an even more 'over the top' buggy.
First I ordered some DTM spoiler from a Mercedes model but when it came in it was way to small for what I had in mind, so I got me some plastic and aluminum profiles from the local hardware store and made the spoiler myself.
The spoiler is mounted with 4 bolts to a bracket folded from aluminum plate that I glued to the inside of the roof.
At the front side I made a skid plate out of 1mm aluminum plate and added some of the 6mm tubbing for looks. To complete the interior I used an old interior from a 'Big Bear' model (used the head from the tamiya kit).
I wanted to use the wheels 'the other way around' like they are suposed to be used, cause it looked so much cooler and gives the model a nice wide stance. to make the wheels fit the hexagon wheel hubs like this, I made 4 adapters out of 1mm aluminum plate and mounted them with the screws that came with the wheels.