Here is something a little different. Always been a fan of Mardave models. I already have a box art Apache and wanted another chassis to mount a Sand Scorcher body. Found a chassis on eBay with front suspension, gearbox and a single rear wishbone.. My plan was to build a new wishbone and build new driveshaft with UJs.
As with all projects I buy they never end up the way I plan. Looking through my box of scrap I found a complete independent rear end set up. As look would have it they fit the original chassis without the need to modify the chassis mounts. I did have to modify the wishbones so they would clear the driveshafts. Fitted some gold dampers and mounted a top arm locating bracket. I am really pleased with the rear suspension set up and it looks original. I am awaiting parts from the far east to fabricate a pair of driveshafts. I'm mating the original gearbox outputs with a dog bone configuration mounted to cut down grasshopper driveshafts. The front suspension will have a matching pair of gold dampers, the chassis has been trimmed slightly to enable the front wishbones more travel.
The body that came with the chassis looked a little sad, but apart from a slight crack on the front looked salvageable. I stripped and lightly sanded the body and rubbed out any deep scratches. I then sprayed the body in Tamiya red, then applied a candy apple red metalflake. Unfortunately due to the high moisture content the paint bloomed everytime the temperature dropped. So I stripped it again and gave it a light coat of acrylic plastic primer, finished off with two tone white and blue Hycote automotive paint. Once cured it was given 3 coats of laquer. I like the finish and minimalistic design, not to everyone's taste I imagine.
I'm hoping to be all finished in the new year and will post finished photos if there is any interest
If you liked those pictures, you should see these...