Share this model:
In keeping with a trend, I've been finishing up a number of vintage bodies to replace any I'd done previously that were re-re, repro, or had re-re or repro components. I've recently done my Clod Buster, Grasshopper, and Lunchbox and last week I got to the Mud Blaster. I'd done one a while back with vintage decals on a re-re Brat body and I spent a few years sourcing all the vintage bits I needed to redo it all vintage original.
Finding a vintage unfinished Brat body proved too difficult/expensive so I got my hands on a previously worked on one - I don't remember exactly from where/whom but it may have been another member here - and added to that all the other correct vintage parts, including the correct lightly-tinted window parts (the clear and dark tinted ones aren't correct for the Mud Blaster). To get the body evenly colored I laid down 3 coats of grey primer over the whole body, temporarily attaching the nose and tail sections. Then I applied 3-4 coats of Italian Red. The result is a nice rich red color - maybe a bit darker than I'd imagined but it looks good. Then I did the detail painting and applied the vintage decals. I didn't do a 100% perfect job with detailing but good enough for me.
The previous body, which does look nice enough on its own (see link to related model), will be going on a runner chassis when I get around to it.
If you liked those pictures, you should see these...
Big Bottoms Mud Flaps