Share this model:
This one has only required a very light restoration. It looked like it had only been run a few times and most parts were in excellent condition. The only exception was the speed controller which had some corrosion on the surface making it look green. This was easy to remove with a bit of polishing and the controller looks near new now.
I dissembled the chassis and gave most parts a light clean and reassembled it.
The body was interesting because parts of it had been assembled using silicon rubber sealer. That made it really easy to remove some of the parts and re-attach them correctly. Again everything is in very good condition so there was very little I needed to repair. I have decided to leave this one completely unpainted and without decals (I do have the decal set for it) in order to show off the original green body. I have another one which will be painted and decaled.
The car came with radio gear installed, but the servos were the largest I had ever seen! At least twice the size of a standard servo. It also had a siren stuck on the inside of the roof. Not sure how that was supposed to work. Anyway, I haven't installed any radio gear yet, I'll wait until I find a decent set of period gear.
This was purchased off ebay about a year ago for a very reasonable price - just over US$200. The seller would only ship to the US, but I had some great help from my mate Chris (Crash Cramer) who took delivery and fowarded the car on to me.
For those of you with a sharp eye and an interest in such things - in pic 3 you can just make out the tower cranes (very fuzzy) that are working on Eden Park for the upgrade for the 2011 Rugby World Cup.
If you liked those pictures, you should see these...