Status: Extra info
Share this model:
Good evening Gents,
Here is my latest offering, and then I promise I'll be quiet for a while, going back to my hibernation...
First the chassis. It was bought a few months ago from TC member Heypas (thanks Pascal), in very good condition, except that the transmission was binding somehow. I dissasembled the chassis, and rebuilt it replacing the few bronze bushings left by proper ball bearings, and replacing correctly the various spacers, especially on the pulleys, which is the reason why the transmission was binding. That wasn't an easy task, especially without the manual; if you've ever built one of these, you know what I mean. Transmission is now running free.
There were other various options on it, such as the Tech Racing bars on the front and rear, the Tamiya alloy steering and the alloys caps on it (from Tech Racing too I think). I had to work on this steering set up as it wouldn't work correctly in stock form because of the central belt and pulleys. So, I just switched sides the steering bits and placed the steering rod outside the chassis. Some new steering rods later, and I had a fully working system.
Some final options were added, such as light weight kingpins, new dampers, universal shafts M-tuned motor...I was done with the chassis.
Now on to the body. The thing is that there is not a whole lot of choices for medium sized M-chassis (225mm wheelbase), and after a few searches, I was about to go for the Alfa Giulia from Tamiya, although I already have one, when I spotted the new Cup Racer line from HPI, and bingo! This Fairlady 240Z is a 225 wheelbase bodyshell. I was a little afraid of the quality of the product, since I've had some quite poor and fragile HPI shells, but this one is just flawless and gorgeous. It also comes with lightbuckets and tons of accessories such as bumpers, exhaust, 2 pairs of wipers, 4 (yes 4!) pairs of side mirrors.
Now I thought that this japanese icon needed a japanese touch, so I went with this Rising Sun design. It was the hardest masking job I've ever done, but I think it came out pretty good!. I painted the hood and fenders in flat black and added this cool 8-ball on the hood, even though some have said it's pretty strange on a japanese car. Whatever, I like it anyway.
For the first time, I also used ABC Hobby stealth mounts. Although it's not obvious to install, and putting on and removing the body is a nightmare, I still like the fact that no body mounts is visible on this one.
Finally the wheels. First I was going to mount Kawada's 5 spokes for M-chassis with wide ones in the rear (body is 3mm wider in the rear), but after having tried them on, I thought they looked too small. I had already spotted these cool Street Jam wheels, but had no clue where I could use them (yes, a lot of my projects started with a pair of wheels). I then thought that they might be perfect on this one, since their particularity is to be the same size as regular touring wheels but looking smaller because of the fake tire lip. No regular tire would fit them since they are dedicated to drift tires and anyway, I had to find the thinnest tires possible to keep that scale look. I found these at HPI, and they are a perfect match to the wheels.
This was a very cool project to work one, I hope you'll like it.Enjoy!